First Post, first inspection thanks and too much paperwork?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Post, first inspection thanks and too much paperwork?

Hello all,

This my first ever post on a forum! I had my first ofsted inspection today which went well, I was hoping for at least one o/standing area but got good in all areas, which I am happy with but a little dissapointed wth at the same time. I have been checking the site regularly for advice so thanks to you all and your good ideas and tips.

So, anyway, my inspector said that perhaps the only thing she could suggest was that I had perhaps too much paperwork and could if I wanted streamline it??? I dont have anything that isnt necesarry or what anyone hasnt suggested on this site, everything was organised in its own file, risk assesments, fire drills (adult & child led), food hygiene that sort of thing, so I am at a loss, my only action point is that I must wall mount my fire blanket.... she said I was great with the children too (thank goodness!) so I am not just all about the paperwork.

Also, I woked SO hard to complete my SEF especially from comments on here, spent about 8 hours or more and she didnt even read it, before or during the visit, she was here for about 2.5 hours which was a plus.

So I suppose my question is, what do you do to be outstanding and I never realised too much paperwok even existed in Ofsted inspection world!

Oh and when I registered, I was told I MUST have gloves for nappy changing and a visitor book, I have the gloves although one of my mindees really doesnt like them, so inspector told me to stop! And visitor book was not necesarry (I log all visitors on visible weekly planner and in daily diarys and introduce reg visitors to parents...)

Anyway, suppose I just wanted to get it off my chest!

Thanks again to all of your help and advice to each other which I have benefited from.

Penny1959 Guest

Default Re: First Post, first inspection thanks and too much paperwork?

First congratulations on your inspection grade - I believe a good is in fact a 'very good' and it takes a lot of work and effort to achieve it.

As to what makes a outstanding childminder - that is like the 'how long is a piece of string' question - no real answer.

I have just recieved my draft report from my first graded inspection and although I did get outstanding - reading the report does not give that much indication as to why.

However you are welcome to look at it if you wish - just send me a private message.

Picking up on your comments - I don't wear gloves - unless so loose leaking out of nappy - and certainly didn't wear any during inspection. I don't have a visitor book - but visitor do sign in using same book as parents sign children in - and indeed the inspector signed in using this book.

I am sure that everyone who has achieved an outstanding will do things differently and everyone who has a good will say 'but I do that'.

Personally I think it is a combination of things - so 'the whole picture' whereby the inspector can easily see that the children are well cared for, policies and procedures are in place and implemented and the children are happy, secure and making progress towards the learning goals - so in other words open to personal interputation and viewpoint.

Sorry not much help

But once again congratulation on your good

Penny

Sep 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

thanks for your reply, any comments are helpful!

I appreciate what you say re “how long is a piece of string”, after some reflection I think I am very pleased and think I now have three years to do what I do even better. I was a bit sad that our playroom wasn’t ready (it was planned to have been) but don’t really think it would have made any difference, but could have had more pictures, paintings, chalkboard etc.... Oh I don’t know you can spend forever going round and round!

And I was also surprised that I was told I didn’t need plug socket covers anymore either.... it frustrating that things vary so wildly. I used to be a compliance inspector for financial services so perhaps I was just as guilty..... I didn’t think so but we are all human I suppose! (or payback!!)

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! i would love to get a good! got my 1st inspection coming up in a few weeks.

I don't use gloves, my hand washing is impecable (ex nurse lol!)

I don't have a visitor book, wasn't aware i needed one, i do write in their daily diary who has been to play, but nowhere 'official' eek

sarah x

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your inspection.

Personally I think it's up to the inspector as to what 'they' feel is worth an outstanding.

I do not think it will ever be totally fair, there are so many ways of doing one thing, so many personal judgements.

Also think will getting an outstanding make you a better childminder?

Yes, I know it's great to be recognised, it's wondeful to say you have reached the highest grade but with as much joy as it brings it can also bring discord from other childminders, especially if another childminder doesn't do as much as another but has been graded higher.

Be very pleased with your grade, be even more pleased that you are doing a fab job of caring for others' children.

Hope that makes sense of some kind.

xx
    Come back David....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nannymcflea View Post

Personally I think it's up to the inspector as to what 'they' feel is worth an outstanding.

I do not think it will ever be totally fair, there are so many ways of doing one thing, so many personal judgements.

Also think will getting an outstanding make you a better childminder?

Yes, I know it's great to be recognised, it's wondeful to say you have reached the highest grade but with as much joy as it brings it can also bring discord from other childminders, especially if another childminder doesn't do as much as another but has been graded higher.

xx
    Totally agree with all of this.

Congratulations on your grade!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!