Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default ? ? ? ?

Ok,
    A local childminder friend had her inspection very recently. Her inspector told her that Ofsted were considering registering every room in childminders homes and the childminder would have to put locks on doors to bedrooms.

??

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ? ? ? ?

well i for one aren't going to live in a jail , we replaced all our doors and frames as when we moved in there had been locks on all doors and im not going though that expense again, a simple safety gate is all thats needed on stairs......
    Dust its Fairy Dust

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds strange i do have a lock on my bedroom door as it's the only room that's not registered
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i am glad you have replied....i must admit when she told me i thought "oh i am losing my home to all this..."

My friend thought exactly the same.

mandy xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my teenagers would be too impressed at an inspector seeing their rooms - if they could make it through the doors

This is my family home not a prison, can't see it happening.Well, hope not
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

that is a really bad idea i dont need to use my upstairs as have downstairs bathroom i have safety gate on stairs why would ofsted wastes so much time checking upostairs when they dont need to unless they think were hiding lo up there lol

Pipsqueak Guest

well if Ofsted are happy to pay for the locks and fitting off and then when we are finished minding replacing and taking off etc then ok.

And they may want to register all the rooms but this is MY home, MY business, I am self-employed and they can take a run and jump - failing that I can help them take a run and jump.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my inspector went into my sons room and just said is he a teenager to which i said yes how can you tell.... only room at time she said she couldnt reg was my spare room as i had to industrial sewing machines in there as that was my job at time but i explained to her once i start cm they were going so she reg it but said just to put a gate on there if they hadnt gone before i started.. its not office and sleep room.....
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another thing to worry us, having said that years back Mrs Ofsted told me I had to have locks on unused upstairs bedroom with mirrored wardrobe doors, so we did and nobody ever mentioned them since Hubby was not best pleased drilling into new doors . I would just wait and see

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandy64 View Post
    that is a really bad idea i dont need to use my upstairs as have downstairs bathroom i have safety gate on stairs why would ofsted wastes so much time checking upostairs when they dont need to unless they think were hiding lo up there lol
    I don't use mine either. Gate at bottom of stairs.

In our old house I used upstairs loo so put lock on my bedroom as I used to leave iron in there and it was next to bathroom door. I did it because I wanted to not because they said so.

This house has old original victorian doors, DH would not be impressed - and there are lots!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can maybe see why they would do it (not that I'm saying they should!). You could have absolutley anything in a bedroom, but if you say you're not using that room for cming, so don't want it registering, it doesn't mean a child won't go in there.

Unless you lock doors to keep children out, they could go anywhere in your house. There someone on here recently saying how children kept going into the bedrooms, even though they're not registered & she was telling the children not to go in. She wasn't able to control the children & stop them going in there (no critisism intended, that's just how it was), so children were in an unregistered room.

Maybe Ofsted would give you the option? You either register all rooms, in which case they would all have to be risk assessed, safe for children etc, or you put a bolt on them to keep the children out.

Personally I wouldn't want to do either! I don't go into my teenage boys' bedrooms, so no way would I want an inspector in there Neither would I want locks on the doors.

It had obviously been identified as a problem by the minder who posted about children going into her bedrooms and she was looking for a solution. Fingers crossed Ofsted realise we can use our common sense about these things!

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[quote=PixiePetal;790400]I don't use mine either. Gate at bottom of stairs.

In our old house I used upstairs loo so put lock on my bedroom as I used to leave iron in there and it was next to bathroom door. I did it because I wanted to not because they said so.

This house has old original victorian doors, DH would not be impressed - and there are lots![/quote]

we have the same....and when i told him OH went crackers. He moaned when i made him put locks on the brand new kitchen cupboard doors....this will push him over the edge!

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have those little hook locks high up on my and ds bedroom doors so lo's don't venture in. Not that theres really anything in there, prob wouldn't be able to get throughds door due to the mounds of stuff behind it!

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

i really don't understand why the rooms have to be registered if they then need to be locked.

if the kids cant get in why do they need to be registered?

I am definatly NOT putting locks on my doors - my mindees are told not to go in the bedrooms and they dont - if they did there would be a time out or other "punishment" and they soon learn.

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No locks going on my doors . Absolutely no need.

Ground floor toilet and fixed stair gate at bottom of stairs - love to see the Oftsed inspector try and climb over my stair gate !!!

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only registered downstairs, but someone did say to me early on that Ofsted may want to just have a look upstairs!!! They didn't when they came on their initial visit, and hope they won't on their insection, all the cr*p from downstairs was shoved upstairs, it's a tip!!! lol. But surely that's our business? As long as the registed areas are safe, the other parts of the house are private!! Next they'll be having a nosy in our lofts?!!! Lock your knicker drawer, just in case!! lol.
    xxxx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am puttimg high up small sliding locks on the doors upstairs as I they don't shut properly and the older ones can go to the loo on their own and can also snoop on their own

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not drilling my doors to have proper locks put on!! and there is no way I would put bolts or hooks on them my 4 boys would be locking each other in There is no need to mindees to go upstairs as I have a downstairs toilet, so no need for Ofsted to go looking either

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our whole house is registered and we use all our bedrooms for sleeping, however that is the only reason they would go in the rooms and they are put straight into the cots. We have a lock on the out side of the bathroom door because i don't want to have to lock away all our toiletries everyday. Apart from that I just can't see the point.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted have checked my bedrooms on all my inspections. Having said that when I first registered, Mrs O registered all rooms (she was an ex CM) just said it was easier in case of sleeps etc. My bathroom is upstairs and had lots of children use my bathroom unsupervised and never had a problem with them going in the bedrooms, I do keep the doors shut though. Hubby did put a bolt on my craftroom when it moved into the house (used to be in a summer house), but that was to protect my precious stuff not the children

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast