Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Under the sink hazourdous things!

I had my council visit and the lady advised I should move the things to a higher cupboard. Would a cupboard lock suffice? None of my high cupboards have the height for the bottles.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Under the sink hazourdous things!

I have always had my things in under sink cupboard with a lock - no problem in 16 years so far
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if it is ok to put them on top of my cooker fan? It is a glass board like a shelf, and I could push them to the back.

xx

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I think these things should be out of reach and sight ??? not sure though

mine are under the sink in a locked cupboard.
    Nicole xx

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that as long as you clearly Risk Assess and document where you are storing the hazardous items then you will be covered.... only you know how 'adventurous' your little ones are!!!!!!!

Hope this helps...
    Tracey x

ps. Mine are under my sink!!!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are in the cupboard but with a cupboard lock on it, and its been fine

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine are in the cupboard under my sink with a lock on it.

I have risk assessed the kitchen as only being used under supervision.

Children are also supervised when they walk through the kitchen to the toilet or to meet their parents at the back door.

I believe that is enough to keep them safe

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Might get shot down in flames for this but I have never kept hazardous items in cupboard under sink - there are pans and baking sheets in there (actually given the state of some of them perhaps they are hazardous ).

All my cleaning products are either in a high cupboard in the kitchen or in the utility area where mindees dont go, in a high cupboard.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm, I think I will risk assess my kitchen as supervised too and make access to outside through the playroom rather than through the kitchen.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Curly cathy, I dropped a stainless steel pan lid on my foot yesterday. Ouch!

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

OOOOHHH bet that hurt!!!

See everything is out to get us

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very sure this is a thick question, but what sort of locks have you got on your kitchen cupboards? Do you mean the child safety hook thingys or actual locks?

Oh, and Vickster, I dropped a 2 kg weight on my foot yesterday, from a shelf about head height!!! It's all blue and purple now! It now lives on the floor.
    I knew sports were dangerous!!!

xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vickster View Post
    I had my council visit and the lady advised I should move the things to a higher cupboard. Would a cupboard lock suffice? None of my high cupboards have the height for the bottles.
    As long as the children can not get in there you will be fine with a lock
    Debbie

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Under the sink my "hazardous" things will stay - that's what childproof catches and locks are for. My kitchen is only used at meal times when all children are either seated around the table or in high chairs. All the children eat at virtually the same time so the risk assessment said "no risk".

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

again mine are under the sink with lock on.... i did have them in high cupboard above the cooker as its the only one big enough but i thought it was more of a risk to me as i couldnt reach in there....
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are under the sink in a cupboard in my downstairs loo. There are some confusing messages from the council though. Firstly they told me I couldn't have any alcohol on the premises (OMG!! lol), then I decided that was completely mad and put all the beer bottles and spirits (I sound like an alcoholic, there wasn't that much, honest!) into a locked cupboard or the top of the fridge. The council lady came out and said it was fine!!

She also told me I couldn't have the cat food dishes in the house, so I put them outside the garage door and again decided this was madness in bad weather, etc, couldn't expect the poor cat to bog off outside to eat in the snow! Bearing in mind he only has dried food in the day and a pouch when the kids have gone to bed, his food is on my tumble dryer in the porch, the kids were hardly likely to be eating it!! So I left it at the back of the dryer, and again the lady said it was ok.

I think I got myself into a blind panic about everything being perfect, when really all I needed to do was assess how safe it was. Oh, another thing she said was about not having sharp knives around!! I put them right to the back of the worktop, behind the kettle, and she said that was ok too, even though I was lead to believe they had to be locked away!! lol.

Panic over though, I'm slowly learning there isn't always just one way to do things
    xxxx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Louise B, well we have every spirit under the sun on display very high up in our kitchen so we do look like alcoholics, but a very good friend of ours works for a drinks company and often arrives with welcome donations.

Another thing the council woman said was that the wooden posts in our garden supporting the trellis (5 years old max) needs bolier laggng round them, in case of splinters, well I hvae probably had about 50 different children in my garden over the years and not one of them has a splinter, so I will see what ofsted say before we put those eyesores up, net they will be saying we need to put padded flooring down in the kitchen....

jun 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vickster View Post
    Louise B, well we have every spirit under the sun on display very high up in our kitchen so we do look like alcoholics, but a very good friend of ours works for a drinks company and often arrives with welcome donations.

Another thing the council woman said was that the wooden posts in our garden supporting the trellis (5 years old max) needs bolier laggng round them, in case of splinters, well I hvae probably had about 50 different children in my garden over the years and not one of them has a splinter, so I will see what ofsted say before we put those eyesores up, net they will be saying we need to put padded flooring down in the kitchen....
    We put this up before Ofsted arrived (DH went safety mad) and I asked the question was it necessary? The reply was maybe he had gone a little OTT as children have to learn about the risks and dangers around them

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

My cleaning stuff isnt in the kitchen anymore they are in the boiler cuboard .

(no where near the boiler .........the cubard has a latch on the inside so cant be opened )

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep all my kitchen hazardous things under the sink cupboard with a child lock on it. I have a stairgate on my kitchen to prevent children getting by themselves, this stops them getting to my other cupboards and the cat food.
    Toilet cleaner etc is kept high up in the bathroom.
    We normally only have alcohol in the house at the weekends but the odd bottle that we use in cooking is locked away in our dining room in a cupboard that contains all our glasses and best plates that I don't want to have broken.
    To be honest though I think the woman from NCMA was more picky about things than the one from Ofsted! Guess it just depends who you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast