messy play during an inspection or not?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default messy play during an inspection or not?

Hi
    I'm a long way off from my first inspection but started to think about this for some reason so thought I'd get other people's views.
    I probably wouldn't plan messy play during the inspection but if the kids asked to do painting or something would we be seen to be not following the child's interests if we said to them 'we'll do it this afternoon after the lovely lady has gone!'. So, if the kids ask us .. to paint or not to paint?

With my brain pondering questions as futile as that you'd think I had nothing better to do with my time. Would you paint?

Lisa

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: messy play during an inspection or not?

We did finger painting, and it was my 1 year olds first time and Mrs O was pleased with how I worked it with the mindies. It was rather messy and LO did manage to get it in his mouth and I got a bit stressed, but she said I handled it well

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For my last inspection I did a planned water play activity indoors with ice cubes and artic animals, I knew it would keep the children entertained for the duration of the inspection and they made a lot of mess but they thoroughly enjoyed it and the inspector loved it so it was worth having the mess to clean up afterwards

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave my Lo's jelly and fruit to play with and eat! little plastic cutlery etc too. I had one Lo at the time who hated to get messy so we were taking baby steps and thats where we were at! Great conversations to be had over food! Meticulous planning is all you need, have in your mind how it will all work and don't worry if it goes a bit pear shaped-ofsted won't mind they'll just want to see how you deal with it. If you really don't want to there is all the alternatives-pasta, split peas(not lentils, they are poisonous before cooking) tea leaves, rice krispies - the list is endless! and Good Luck!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the children you have ..and what kind of things you 'usually' do with them. I certainly wouldnt do anything new or unusual , but if the paint is often out then you are showing Ofstaed a 'normal' working day...
    Paint would be fine for the children I have now for example , but you may have one at the time who enjoys painting the walls - not something Id want to deal with during an inspection!
    I too had a water tray out and we later added coloured sequin ice ....as a follow up from a school activity. Obviously water play needs quite close supervision which was perhaps not ideal when the inspector may need your time also.
    By the time of your inspection you will have a much better idea of what works for you and the children you have.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously water play needs quite close supervision which was perhaps not ideal when the inspector may need your time also.
    When I had my inspection and did the water activity we were all in the same room together, why wouldn't we be, I'm hardly going to leave the children while I chat to the inspector in another room

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Louise I was commenting on my inspection - not implying anything regarding yours! My layout isnt ideal and the inspector was in the dining room which would have pulled me away from the children. So not ideal. Just trying to give the OP my experience and perhaps learn from my mistake!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree about not doing anything differently on the day - kids are well known for "tripping" you up if you try!

My inspector wedged herself in a corner of the dining room too so she could plug in her lap top - it wasn't where I wanted her to be but she could see and hear what went on if I was in the kitchen or the lounge with the kids. If she wanted to ask questions she got up and came to me and she gave me feedback in the garden because the kids wanted to be outside.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Messy play is fantastic and it will be great fun to get messy, if anything happens deal with it in a calm manner and continue with the activity. Maybe do alot of trial runs so children know your expectations a bit better (That of course may not stop them from eating the paint or throwing it when Ofsted are there!)

Hope this helps

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Louise I was commenting on my inspection - not implying anything regarding yours! My layout isnt ideal and the inspector was in the dining room which would have pulled me away from the children. So not ideal. Just trying to give the OP my experience and perhaps learn from my mistake!
    With all my inspections the inspector has followed me around so i wouldn't worry about whether the messy play needs to be in another room - they can move with you.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Kath, I totally took that the wrong way, it was a bit early in the morning and my head was still in dreamland