Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ofsted been...

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted been...

.... and I'm now feeling very deflated.... (and this will be long!!!)

Personally, I feel have improved massively since last inspection - especially over the last year.

She's sat outside when I get back from playschool at 9.20am, (although she said she wouldn't be there til 9.30-10...)

Come in & the kids ask to play with rainbow rice! So I get it out for them

She's then questioning my certificate. I'm allowed 1 under 5, but as DS is at full time school, but not 5 til Aug, I have been told (and gave inspector the ladies name, who is a varitations manager!) that I can increase my under 5 numbers by one, but they can't amend it til he's actually 5. So I'm allowed 2 under 5.

I'd then asked for a variation for an extra under 5, which is on my cert, and says I can have 2. (But with DS being in FT school this actually means 3), so that's what I had today!

Apparantly though, She gets the 'I'm allowed one extra so 2 under normal cases', but the variation for 2 still means I'm only allowed 2...?!?! She was being inspected, and her manager said the same thing. Apparantly regualtions & wordings have changed now... I asked if my cert was done before this, which I was told yes?!? How the *** am I supposed to know??? I even then got up the saved copy of my variation request I'd sent to ofsted, which detailed names & ages of all the children in my care, so the cert is what came off the back of it!

Apparantly I was mis-informed, and I'm working over my numbers!!! I asked what I do about picking lo up from playschool then, and for the next 3 weeks whilst DS is still 4, and she said, nothing, carry on as I am as they wouldn't get a new cert to me before then anyway?????

I think this got her back up straight away!!

I had all 7 folders out! 2 Learning journies, with obs, next steps end of term reports, termly next steps, and a EYFS overview, highlighted as they hit eah milestone, so you can see where they are. Also, in one, permission to share info with playgroup, and a copy of a little booklet we made for one starting playshcool, saying likes, dislikes, interests and 'what I can do'!

Then, folder with signed registers, daily checklists, RA's, Fire evacuation records, continuous provision sheets, and copy of my SEF. (13 pages & 75000 words!!!)

Another folder with all safeguarding info, numbers, 'What to do if...' booklet notifiable desieses, my support minding paperwork.

Another folder with all my planning (themed) in.

My EYFS folder.

Finally, my Network/prospectus folder. All my policies, certificates, Network visit reports, insurances...

Then, the contracts. I have plactic wallets for each child, which has contracts, parental permissions & Child record forms.

Finally - the daily diaries.

Also, 2 letters from parents, (which she'd asked for) and a letter from the playschool, confirming we work together, as there is no physical evidence in my folders!! (Then odd booklets etc I have!!)

Anyway, kids are playing with rainbow rice, whilst I'm being questioned about my cert. One comes up to me & says 'Look - I've got a mark' It's a bite mark!! Apparantly the other lo had done it. Questioned it, made to say sorry, accident book filled out. I mentioned to inspector, not quite believing that though, as no tears & a huge bite, and the fact he said 'Look I've got a mark!' And not 'Look x bit me!' (Anyway, since then he has bit himself again, and blamed x so my gut was right!)

Skims my folders. She says my Learning journeys are very good, and up to date & full of information, & I know exactly where the children are at. She then asks how I plan for childrens next steps, and I said I mainly work towards the termly goals. She asked where these were. In the folder you apparantly looked through & thought were so great & full of info!!

By this time, rainbow rice has gone everywhere, it's raining, but the 2 boys want to go outside. So wellies & raincoats on & out they go! Freeflow & child initiated play!!

Asks how I promote equality & diversity. My response, books, fetivals, I have mirrors on my wall surrounded by lots of different people, height charts, sign language chart, various languages etc...

She asks where my books are. I have a conservatory, which has two trofast systems in. Boxes are labeled with toys, plus filled on top too, with lego, happyland, bridges, big buses, then a dining table, little kids table, I had the work bench up today, but have a kitchen also, and a computer. No more room for anything else. Pics & words relating to theme & kids own stuff on the walls. In my living room, (Which I like to be able to shut off from playroom in the eve I have a sideboard, which has two cupboards. One side has a child lock on it as all my paperwork is stored in there, the other one as a label saying 'Book area' and a photo too, of my 2 2 yr olds sat reading books!

Kids are playing with water, bubbles, balls loads of stuff in the garden. Came in for snacks, both sit to take boots off without prompting, both tell me they need to wash their hands!

She asks about my day to day planning. I pointed her to my monthly plan on the wall, and my weekly plan too. I did say though, that it may change. IE for this morning, after snacks I'd put to do a particular craft. She questioned when I was going to do it? I said, at the moment, they are happy playing in the garden exploring, so I'm not going to drag them away from that. I may just move it to this afternoon.

She said she looked through everything, but hadn't seen any parent permission forms. I said they were in with the childs's contracts. 'Oh, I actually have to pull it all out do I?' Was her response!

Anyway, feedback - she'll sort cert! Overall - Good - with 3 area's of outstanding. Keeping children safe, making a positive contribution, and stay healthy.

But...apparantly though, my resources aren't accessible enough!!!

My books are in a cupboard, and not really very accesible! She hadn't seen the children go to them. They hadn't been to happyland, lego, trains, dolls.... So I only got a good for this, and because of this, they couldn't access equality & diversity books freely enough! I said, the reason they haven't had books is becasue they's been in the garden for the whole massive 2 hours she was here!!! I said they reg get books, know what type they want & pull them all out. I'm not spending every night sorting them all out properly, just to get them all pulled out! Then one child went to get a book!!!

So because of this, good on resouces & equality & diversity. She said my working in partnership with parents is excellet, and have lots of evidence of this. Unfortuanatly, because the pre-school don't share any info with me, I got marked down!!! What it has to do with the parents!! And also working with other settings. I asked what more I could do, and she couldn't answer!!!

My SEF, I got a good. When I questioned this, it was because she had identified other areas for improvement that I hadn't! (Although I had mentioned other settings in there - and don't think there's anything wrong with my resources.)

Basically, my leadership & management needs improving!!!

When she asked what I thought I told her I was gutted. I said I put so much in, and know I do a lot more than other cms in my village, and yet have still got the same grading as them. She said, 'well, when I write the report it will come across as 'very good'' That is no consilation at all!!

Feel, so let down, and hard done by!. I physically cannot do any more than I am doing.

Phoned DH, Network co-ord & another cm in tears. Turned up to collect a child from playschool all blotchy, and they said I do way more than the other cm's. None of them share anything!!!

Network co-ord said she will read when I get it, and see if there's grounds for appeal, as what they've picked me up on, and made me miss out on outstanding it pathetic!

I know a good's good, but from where I'm standing, (well sitting ) it's not. I've gone from being upset, to being angry. It seems, looking back, that she was out to find something to pick me up on. I can't remember other bits, but she said 'Oh you said you have this' or do this, but I can't find it. Then I pointed it straight out to her. Any questioning, she couldn't pick me up on - EVERYTHING & more is there!!!

What more do they want from us. I really feel like I can't be bothered now though!!

xx

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ofsted been...

OMG That is long, but needed to get it all down!! Your thoughts Miss Mopple, after reading my epic... (If you remain awake!!!!)

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts?

YOU WERE ROBBED

You are definately worthy of outstanding (lets face it, they gave it to me ). Your parents know it, S knows it, and so do all the other childminders who are lucky enough to know you.

I hope you do have grounds for appeal, but if not then don't let it get you too down. You are bloomin' brilliant and have thriving happy mindees who love you and parents who appreciate you. That's worth far more than the words of an inspector who hasn't got a clue about you.

I would say pour yourself a large glass of something highly alcoholic when the kids go but as we have a support meeting tonight thats a no no Or you could, and I'll pick you up and you can liven up the meeting a bit

chin up mate, we still luff ya

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw another cm after school, (one who doesn NO EYFS stuff at all!!) Was telling her about it, and she had inspection last year & got good with 3 areas of outstanding!

She said pre-school (one I don't go to) had come up to her saying 'Oh you're a cm aren't you? We're supposed to work together & share things' She said she told them 'Oh I don't do any of that stuff - I can't be bothered!'

Now we've both been graded exactly the same!!! How is that in any way fair?!?!?!

xx

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness you poor thing. The inspector doesn't sound very fair to me, was she having an off day?
    You were graded Good which is fantastic, well done you.
    I hope you get the chance to appeal though x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I saw another cm after school, (one who doesn NO EYFS stuff at all!!) Was telling her about it, and she had inspection last year & got good with 3 areas of outstanding!

She said pre-school (one I don't go to) had come up to her saying 'Oh you're a cm aren't you? We're supposed to work together & share things' She said she told them 'Oh I don't do any of that stuff - I can't be bothered!'

Now we've both been graded exactly the same!!! How is that in any way fair?!?!?!

xx
    It isn't fair I am gutted on your behalf I really am

TheBTeam Guest

I had the same thing happen to me 3 years ago, so am due again soon, the only difference is I am expecting it this time and am already fed up and past caring a bit this time, I have now decided that I do what I do, I know how it is and so do the parents of the children I look after, so if OFSTED cant see that then it is up to them, it varies so much on who you get etc.

Both of my colleague friends that got outstanding said the same thing and one that got a good the same and admits to being satisfactory.

I hope you get the result and report that you want.

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know what to say other than you obviously put a lot of thought into every aspect of your work and are very passionate about what you do. I think there is an awful lot of emphasis put on these grades, and although we are all singin from the same hymn sheet the inspectors personal opinions do come into play. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what another inspector would give. My inspection is due next year but oh... the thought of it!
    Well done hon! x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats sounds really unfair. Stupid inspector.
    I got good in all areas except partnerships.....because although i had written to mindees teacher, she had not written back. So because she couldn't be bothered to contact me, i got marked down. Not important in the grand scheme of things and im more than happy with my good, but still very unfair.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh hunny I think you need to focus on the fact you got 3 outstandings and the rest were goods!!

You have done incredibly well.

Yes I know you are feeling xx just now, but you really have done well and you need to give yourself a massive pat on the back.

Hugs xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you should have had outstanding! Go for an appeal as it's not your fault that the variation on the cert was wrong...I bet if it was OK, she would have had no hesitation into giving you a higher grade.
    But well done, must have been very tiring today.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Ofsted been...

Oh dear you poor thing, its such a stressfull time having everything that you do judged by someone that doesn't know you...its horrible.

My last inspection was 3 years ago last month I hope my inspector is in a good mood and hasn't had a row with her partner or got stressed by her kids the morning she's due here

My cm advisor told me that when I find out the name of the inspector, look up some reports on line that she's recently done to see what areas she's hot on...

I have decided though that I know I do a good job, so I'm not going to get too bothered about it........thats what I've decided at the moment anyway

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    But well done, must have been very tiring today.
    Yep VERY!!! This morning in itself, and then just the stress & upset this afternoon. I have such a headache, yet an interesting network meeting to attend in about 45 mins!!!

xx

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Big hugs. I agree with Sarah, you have done extremely well. If you really feel hard done to appeal. Your inspector sounds awful though

Keep smiling

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly how you feel after having my inspection about a month ago. other minders in the village i live in have been given outstanding on my flamin work (she hadn't done any of her own and had all my planning, some resources etc) I think the whole system sucks and really needs a shake up, I told my inspector i was gutted and said its no wonder so many childminders are giving up, i also told her that they don't all sing from the same hymn sheet.

I know how upsetting it is but you have to remember all the parents are happy, the children are happy and you are doing a fantastic job, thats all that matters at the end of the day not some stupid ofsted inspector......I know that doesn't make you feel any better!

xx