Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....

Hope you have some luck at getting it changed.

Ive been waiting a year to get on a course and only got word last week that my course is now booked for June 2008.

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that you were graded down for something that was not your fault!

I hope that you get a result with the letter you have sent to Ofsted.

Good luck and keep us posted!

x

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My area doesn't offer first aid courses, so paid £100 to do it with St John Abulance!
    Tasha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubbly View Post
    I had the same problem trying to get on a Birth To Three course. I only became registered in Oct 2007 and immediately tried to get on the final BTT course of the year but it was fully booked. I'm due an inspection (I think) in April 2008 and will do the next available BTT course in March 2008. That doesn't give me much time to put anything into practice before the inspector calls. I know it's all going to change when the new Early Years thingy is introduced but I'm still worried I'm going to get an 'inadequate' based on my lack of BTT experience. It would be so unfair if that happened.

Sarah, I'd also try getting hold of that bloke. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope he remembers you. Bribe him if necessary (only joking)
    I don't know if it helps, but as far as other training went, I was panicking also because I have done none whatsoever. In the few weeks leading up to the inspection I did some online courses in food hygiene and child abuse. But to be honest, she wasn't that concerned - one thing she did say was to keep a note on books read, webpages visited, even tv programmes that you have watched that relate in some way to childminding. She said a well kept log of such things is enough to prove that you are trying to keep yourself up to date.

Also I had folders for different areas which I plonked in front of her, and they seemed to keep her busy for a while. I had a safety information folder for children (write off to various safety organizations and they send you free stuff, like the electricity safety place, fire service, road safety etc) one for parents (with info on bullying and street safety) I had a folder with all my policies and procedures (you can never have too many of these and even ones which you think are a bit unnecessary impress) and a folder with multicultural and disability awareness information in (a great site for disability awareness from a child's point of view is SCOPE)

if you want me to go into ant more detail, let me know, and I'd be happy to send you some information.

As far as my situation goes, the report still hasn't been put online, but I haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you posted.

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahashy View Post
    I don't know if it helps, but as far as other training went, I was panicking also because I have done none whatsoever. In the few weeks leading up to the inspection I did some online courses in food hygiene and child abuse. But to be honest, she wasn't that concerned - one thing she did say was to keep a note on books read, webpages visited, even tv programmes that you have watched that relate in some way to childminding. She said a well kept log of such things is enough to prove that you are trying to keep yourself up to date.
    Also I had folders for different areas which I plonked in front of her, and they seemed to keep her busy for a while. I had a safety information folder for children (write off to various safety organizations and they send you free stuff, like the electricity safety place, fire service, road safety etc) one for parents (with info on bullying and street safety) I had a folder with all my policies and procedures (you can never have too many of these and even ones which you think are a bit unnecessary impress) and a folder with multicultural and disability awareness information in (a great site for disability awareness from a child's point of view is SCOPE)

if you want me to go into ant more detail, let me know, and I'd be happy to send you some information.

As far as my situation goes, the report still hasn't been put online, but I haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you posted.

Hope you're ok Sarah.

That's a really good idea to keep a record - something I will start to do now. I do go on quite a few courses but also research a lot on the internet.

Thanks for that.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i really hope you get sorted as i think it's terribly unfair of them to down grade you when you've at least shown that you've attempted to do what they've asked

do you think this forum counts as research then

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a really good idea.... Thanks for that Sarahashy,

I will also like Caroline be putting records like that into effect

xx

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Just wondered if you had heard anything yet?
    Tasha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, sorry it's took me so long to update you all, just haven't had much time to come online lately.
    I got a telephone call from Ofsted with regards the letter I sent, and she said they couldn't accept it as it was after the inspection had finished, plus the date on the letter was still past when my first aid course had run out. Oh well, it was worth a try!
    Took about 6 weeks for my report to come through, and to be honest I am very proud of it. Obviously, I was graded inadequate for the health and organization, but as the inspector promised, she didn't harp on about it, and the positive stuff far outweighed the negative - it detailed all the good stuff, and then right at the end just said something like "the childminder is in breach of regulations for not having a first-aid certificate, therefore the care provided is inadequate".
    Anyway, I have now done the bloomin course (obviously all the techniques have changed AGAIN). The one thing I found interesting on it and may be some use is the trainer said he had personally rung OFSTED regarding first aid kits, and what we should have in them, and they conceded that whatever we were told by the course to have, we should have - this included scissors and plasters (hypoallergenic) two areas which I know cause confusion sometimes.
    Anyway, thanks for all the support over this situation, and like I said before, if I can help anyone else, just get in touch. Cheers, Sarah x

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thats a real shame Sarah but like you said at least you tried

Well done anyway think of the good things now

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Won't you get another inspection though, since you received unsatisfactory? And now that you have your certificate, you can get the good that you deserve!
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    Won't you get another inspection though, since you received unsatisfactory? And now that you have your certificate, you can get the good that you deserve!
    I was thinking that.
    Marie xxx

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this may put the cat amongst the piegons but .... alot of CM's around here have been up in arms because one lady recently inspected had let her First Aid lapse and she still got a 'Good'.

I am not in their 'inner circle' so I have only heard this by listening is to stuff - but there appears to be alot of bad feeling by others who got a 'Good' but had everything in place.
    Buttons xx

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry that it didn't make a difference Sarah but at least you have done your first aid now.

Mandy - I cannot for the life of me understand why a minder with a lapsed first aid cert got Good!

If the first aid cert is not in date then surely she failed to adhere to the standards which would make her Inadequate!

I can understand why others are upset about her grading of Good......I would be too!
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of that Mandy and it should not have been allowed

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sarah, your report reads really well and I am sure now you can proudly display your first aid certificate, you are assured of work when all those babies are born in September.

I'm just sorry this had to happen to you. I know you are taking it well and all that but sometimes the system is just not fair

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It was worth a try!!

Sorry Ofsted have acted unfairly!!

Just look forward to your next inspection!!

x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

1/10/86
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....

Hi i am new on this sight i have been minding for 22 years just had my inspection and was graded inadiquate on paperwork
    I cant get on the child protection course.There was nothing wrong with the childcare, I thought this was the most important thing. apparantly paperwork must be. when the inspecter was here I didnt know whether to pay attention to her questions or answer the children. in the end I thought the children were more important . the inspector was here four four hours.
    Maz

Post Thanks / Like

This is happening more and more Maz

You must have heaps of experience with how many years you have been minding

It just does not make sense sometimes does it

Then you see new minders just starting out who get outstanding because they concentrate on the paper work and not the kids

It is all mad mad mad

Angel xx

1/10/86
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well I have my certificate now and have hopefully put all my paperwork in order the are coming back in 6 months to a year. that something to look faward to lol maz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast