How to get outstanding grading / could I get it at all...?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get outstanding grading / could I get it at all...?

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new here and on the pre-registration phase of it all.. I'm much looking forward to my new career in child care and really can't wait However, I hope this forum and it's wonderful people could help me in my many questions...

One of them being:

How do you get an outstanding grade at the Ofsted inspection?
    I know you have to have all your paperwork in order and so on, however how much does the premises effect to the result?

My concern is, that I don't have a garden (otherwise all is good!), however I do have a park just close to my house and loads of children's centres in a very close proximity to my house, where I can take the childrent to play outdoors, have messy play etc etc. the list goest on..

If you have any answers for me, I would highly appreciate it! will try to find out more on this site, there's just so many links!!

Thought I would ask...
    xx Thanks
    Saija

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to get outstanding grading / could I get it at all...?

Hi
    the key to getting outstanding for me was all on this forum. I took lots and lots of advice from the experienced minders on here , found inspiration , and learned how to adapt things to suit the way i work , my children and my home..
    As for the premises - my home has no specific playroom or minding area , but using what you have to the best is important - lots of inspiring areas for the children..that could be in a corner with cushions , under the table , etc.
    Lots of photos / childrens work about .. i would have a book of pics of them playing at the park / forest / etc to show how much they enjoy their outdoor learning even without a garden. Not only will it show the inspector , but the children love looking at their own books.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When i first registered i did not have a garden either but made a point of explaining to the inspector that we take lots of walks, go to parks, the woods, animal farms, cycle paths, the beach etc etc and had photos to evidence this!
    Last year i received a grant from my local council and had our front patio fenced in so this is now our outdoor play area-we still go out to the above places lots though!!!
    Good luck xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Thats wonderful you are aiming so high hun. Its not impossible to achieve outstanding on a first grading but it is a very high mountain to complete. It can be very disappointing and demoralising if you don't achieve it, take a tip from an experienced minder - aim to be the best you can,with clear goals and how you are going to get there. Take the pressure away from yourself.

On the ofsted website there is a document called A Passion to be Outstanding. Thats very helpful.

Another good tip is to read Ofsted inspection reports for your local area. this will give you a good feel of what the inspectors are looking for.

Its not just about paperwork (I know an outstanding minder with very very minimal paperwork - literally the bare minimum), its about reflective attitudes and implementation, the care of the children, your knowledge and implementation - its totally about have the child at the centre of your focus, its about developing good links with other professionals and families, professional development etc.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Pipsqueak;716396]Thats wonderful you are aiming so high hun. Its not impossible to achieve outstanding on a first grading but it is a very high mountain to complete. It can be very disappointing and demoralising if you don't achieve it, take a tip from an experienced minder - aim to be the best you can,with clear goals and how you are going to get there. Take the pressure away from yourself.

On the ofsted website there is a document called A Passion to be Outstanding. Thats very helpful.

Another good tip is to read Ofsted inspection reports for your local area. this will give you a good feel of what the inspectors are looking for.

Its not just about paperwork (I know an outstanding minder with very very minimal paperwork - literally the bare minimum), its about reflective attitudes and implementation, the care of the children, your knowledge and implementation - its totally about have the child at the centre of your focus, its about developing good links with other professionals and families, professional development etc.[/
    QUOTE]

I quite agree with pip on this one, I do not have the mountains of paper work that some others have. Our inspectors got excited about the children in our setting, what they talked about, how they interacted with others and how we looked as though we enjoyed their company (which we do ) Please feel free to look at our reports (I work with my hubby) there is a link on our website which is linked below. From that you will see what I mean. Good luck.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sally McGeown;716412QUOTE

I quite agree with pip on this one, I do not have the mountains of paper work that some others have. Our inspectors got excited about the children in our setting, what they talked about, how they interacted with others and how we looked as though we enjoyed their company (which we do ) Please feel free to look at our reports (I work with my hubby) there is a link on our website which is linked below. From that you will see what I mean. Good luck.
    do you know what else I find - those who are outstanding never expected to be graded like that or don't think what they do is anything outside the 'norm'. iyswim.

My sons minder and my good friend is still blown away by her grading because she never expected it.

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

how fab would that be to get outstanding on your first grading....

would love that, mind you idlove any grading feels like ive been waiting years lol

x x x
    Jennie x x

Sept 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have very little paperwork lots of knowledge and hands on experience love the kids,and give everything i do 100% and more,what i do is what my mum did and i thought at one time everyone did .I graded myself good and cried when i got outstanding for second time.I keep myself updated by reading everything i get my hands on ,talk to teachers and other professionals,courses etc help at groups ,advice to others,being organised and above all confidence and believeing in myself.

Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate your responses I will definitely have a read on Ofsted website and also on few or your own sites.

I hope I can get a good grading on my first visit, but of course in the back of my mind I'm aiming for outstanding... ) I try not to expect too much though to avoid disappointment. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and want to do really well...

Thanks again,
    Saija

TheBTeam Guest

It is good to aim high, but you need to be relaxed and comfortable with what you are doing for this to come across in your inspection, relax and enjoy doing the job and it will show.

Post Thanks / Like

Be confident (but not over confident), don't change anything you usually do (or the kids will notice and may ask you why you're doing/not doing whatever), follow the children's lead and be flexible, join in with them, relax and enjoy yourself.

Evidence everything you do and make sure the inspector sees it or you tell them about it - don't expect that just because you put the file in front of them they will have looked at it

Finally forget about the grading - as long as you know you're doing the best you can and the children are happy that is what really matters.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got this grading on my first inspection, and I didn't know what to expect ivo of the inspection... and was BLOWN AWAY when she told me I got outstanding in all areas...!!!

I had NO garden at the time - was in a 2nd floor flat! But I brought the outdoors in with use of topiaries etc for the kids to cultivate and water inside... took them to the communal garden (huge), common across the road, park etc. I have a garden now and tbh I LOVE it.... however, this is NOT a deterent to you achieving the big 'O'.

Just do your best... ivo of paperwork, and your care of the kids...and your love and passion and dedication will shine through.
    Jen