Prep for first Inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prep for first Inspection

Hi, I am getting nervous about my first Ofsted Inspection. I completed registration in November '09 and have been minding for about a month. I guess it might be looming?

Because Im new, Im worrying if I am doing all I should be? Currently I have weekly planning, signing in and out sheets for parents, weekly attendance sheets, daily diaries (which go home with the child)

What else should I be doing on a weekly or on-going basis that the Inspector might want to see. Im so worried Ill get a rubbish grading as Im new and am not familiar with what is expected

Lastly, Ive read that completing some or all of the SEF will help me at Inspection? Is this correct and why?

Help :-)
    Last edited by daytimedolly; 22-03-2010 at 07:42 PM.

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prep for first Inspection

my tip is have all your files and paper work out so the inspector can access them without asking you that waythey leave you alone why reading them.

You should have registers with time but not 9am till 5 pm put proper time 9.34 till 4.59pm iyswim. have all you planning avaliable so she can see it make sure you have up your certificate and complaints form so parents can see them.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beccas View Post
    my tip is have all your files and paper work out so the inspector can access them without asking you that waythey leave you alone why reading them.

You should have registers with time but not 9am till 5 pm put proper time 9.34 till 4.59pm iyswim. have all you planning avaliable so she can see it make sure you have up your certificate and complaints form so parents can see them.
    Oh heck... I didnt know that! So in my ncma attendance register i should put the exact times? My full timers mum has become a good friend and picks up around 5 but doesnt leave til quarter past after we have had a natter, what time would you put she left?? Help!!!!
    Doodles

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You should put down the exact time they come through the door, I always make a mental note of the time I see them walking down the drive and then note down the time they leave.
    Don't worry too much about it, as you said you've only been minding a few weeks, now you know, you can start recording the times correctly.
    I had a mindee one afternoon a week from 12.30 until 5.30 and I used to write in my attendance book 12.45, I always had 15 mins missing but Mrs O, never said anything about it.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i didnt know this either why do we have to have exact times? i allways roung it off to the nearest 10 mins, or half hour!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

It's to cover yourself in case anything happens. Also it's a good way to see how punctual your parents are and how much 'free time' they are getting from you
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

mine dont get anything for free! i add up the extra at the end of the month and charge them! but i also take time off not used not so good!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daytimedolly View Post
    Hi, I am getting nervous about my first Ofsted Inspection. I completed registration in November '09 and have been minding for about a month. I guess it might be looming?

Because Im new, Im worrying if I am doing all I should be? Currently I have weekly planning, signing in and out sheets for parents, weekly attendance sheets, daily diaries (which go home with the child)

What else should I be doing on a weekly or on-going basis that the Inspector might want to see. Im so worried Ill get a rubbish grading as Im new and am not familiar with what is expected

Lastly, Ive read that completing some or all of the SEF will help me at Inspection? Is this correct and why?

Help :-)
    the inspector knows you are new and learning. she will be interested in what you have already changed / improved , such as your registers , as this shows you are reflective and always looking to improve.
    You should have some idea of where the mindees are in relation to eyfs ( starting points) and how you will help them towards the next steps.what their interests are. some initial observations. evidence of how you interact with parents , have valued all the information they have given you about their child etc.
    Make your home inviting for parents and children so when mrs o walks in she feels it is a happy place for the children to come.
    then relax. and be yourself. much of my inspection was taken up by watching / listening to me interact with the kidlings.
    If you have a d/o d/w maybe they could come out and see you in the next week or 2 , and just check you have all the mandatory stuff in place and give you some pointers?
    and i know its easy to say after the fact , but it really is not as bad as you expect it to be.treat it as a way of checking you are on the right track and use any recommendations to make you a better childminder!
    hth , good luck