First visit after being registered - what is needed?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First visit after being registered - what is needed?

Hi All

I know that this will probably differ from Inspector to Inspector, but on the initial visit 7 months after being registered what will they actually want to see paperwork wise??

I am getting things in place slowly but surely, but want all the necessary to be sorted ready for my inspection in the next couple of months.

Thanks for your advice.

Nat

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First visit after being registered - what is needed?

i waiting for my first visit aswelll. what have you got in place already im stuck i dont think i got everything,im so scared that i dont get a good grade.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep the attendance and medical details all up to date as I am going along. Obviously you should have the contracts and child record forms in place to show if asked.

I have started putting together the learning journey scrapbooks for the children I care for, although I am sure they are going to say I should have done more than I actually have.

I have the main policies that they said I should have on my pre-registration meeting in place, but haven't really added any additional ones to these. I have these signed by the parents to show if asked.

I have risk assessed as I have been going along, and doing it mentally all the time but not got anything down on paper. Is this something they will want to see???

Anything else???

Nat

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

also what courses youve done and got in the pipe line especially the main 1s they like to see icp,safeguarding,1st aid...then any additional 1s youve done x
    X SUEZ X

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks Suez!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

basically they will want to see everything that you have in place...

Risk assessments
    all the childrens information (they will want to know you've got it)
    observations
    planning
    mine double checked my certs etc
    registration cert on display
    feedback questionnaires from parents
    communication between you and other settings
    communication between you and parents
    policies
    accident/incident book
    compaints file
    safety check of house
    attendence records

will add as i think of any others!

they will ask you about your knowledge of EYFS
    make sure you know your policies and procedures inside out
    Last edited by Minstrel; 27-01-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Minstrel. Can't be much more after that surely!!!

Nat

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natmarshall View Post
    Thanks Minstrel. Can't be much more after that surely!!!

Nat
    I'm sure i could think of some!

Of course it all depends on the grade you are trying to achieve.

If your happy to reach all the targets and get a satisfactory- and this is completely fine- it shows you are doing everything that is required of you.

If you want good or outstanding then you have you go that bit further (or a lot further!) to show how you and your setting stands out.

ooooohhhhh

SEF!!!

I didn't do mine and its not compulsary but i know many minders do recommend it as it gives you a chance to tell the inspector everything you can that you might not get time for or might forget on the day. some have also said its shortened their visit.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have heard that if your SEF is quite detailed it answers a lot of the questions that they would normally check out with you when at your setting. So probably does good to fill it out before the visit, I would say.

Do you get a grading on the 7 month visit from being registered then??? I feel like I am still finding my feet in this profession. Seems so early to be graded.....

Nat

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you do get graded!

I got a call after 3 months to ask if i was minding yet.

I was but had none in the early years range so they called back when i was.

They come out this early to make sure you are all going in the right direction.

All your training will be fresh in your mind and motivated

I have to admit that i have lapsed a bit since mine.

And just think of the relief you will feel afterwards. I def did and suddenly felt like it was my real job and knew what i was doing!

Good luck whenever they come!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you are saying your RAs are done mentally or on paper. It is complusory that they are written

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think I was on top of things, but you know how it is when you doubt how you think you are getting on. I must admit I would be happy with a satisfactory this early on, but not going to aim towards getting that. Will do a few bits and bobs this weekend, I think.

I was expecting my visit in May but it sounds like a lot of people are being caught earlier than they thought for their visits.

Nat

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend doing the SEF and submitting it online if you have time. My first inspection, got a good , was only 2 hours long so I am sure her having the SEF beforehand really helped shorten it.

By the way I was expecting the worst but she was actually very helpful. She did check I had all the statutory polices and RAs and was very hot on safeguarding knowledge and practising evacuations. She didn't expect loads of observations though(had been looking after one lo for 4 months and one for 2 months) but was interested in whether I knew the mindees starting points, that I was aware of next steps and how I was going to use my observations I had carried out to move them on to these next steps (used development charts from EYFS CDRom).

She also talked focused on parnerships with parents and other settings the children may attend.

Sure you will be fine especially as you are thinking about it now and not rushing everything once you have had THE CALL.

Good luck.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Not sure if you are saying your RAs are done mentally or on paper. It is complusory that they are written
    Hi Zoomie

Yes, sorry I did mean that I am doing them all mentally at the moment. But at least I know that I am doing them along the way, and just hadn't got them down on paper as yet. But wondered if the 7 month visit involved them being part of the checklist that I would DEFINITELY be asked to produce them, or if it could be at random. I intend to get something done this weekend though.

Nat

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They will want to look at everything that you have for childminding at this inspection.

Best get those RAs written up (mine took years longer than I thought they would, but they are done now, so don't have to look at for another year ... apart from few notations noted on them every few weeks, proving I review them regularly)

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ritaroo View Post
    I would recommend doing the SEF and submitting it online if you have time. My first inspection, got a good , was only 2 hours long so I am sure her having the SEF beforehand really helped shorten it.

By the way I was expecting the worst but she was actually very helpful. She did check I had all the statutory polices and RAs and was very hot on safeguarding knowledge and practising evacuations. She didn't expect loads of observations though(had been looking after one lo for 4 months and one for 2 months) but was interested in whether I knew the mindees starting points, that I was aware of next steps and how I was going to use my observations I had carried out to move them on to these next steps (used development charts from EYFS CDRom).

She also talked focused on parnerships with parents and other settings the children may attend.

Sure you will be fine especially as you are thinking about it now and not rushing everything once you have had THE CALL.

Good luck.
    Ah, thanks.

I am one of these people who likes to keep on top of things, and relatively organised in general. Although, I have found it tough going at times to keep on top of family life, find my feet with the whole Childminding business, attend the Diploma in Homebased Childcare course and do the actual Childminding during the day!!!

Nat

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    They will want to look at everything that you have for childminding at this inspection.

Best get those RAs written up (mine took years longer than I thought they would, but they are done now, so don't have to look at for another year ... apart from few notations noted on them every few weeks, proving I review them regularly)
    Yes, on the list of weekend jobs as well as starting to complete the SEF. I have to say that my support Childminder has been very good at helping me out by giving me a look at what she has put together for this to get an idea of what is expected.

Nat
    x