Inspection been and gone!! yahay!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection been and gone!! yahay!!!

Hello all

I had my dreaded ofsted inspection last week. I was due in December 08 and having spoken to fellow childminders it seems that due to the introduction of the EYFS there is a 6-8 month gap for inspections. My inspector was lovely and I just wanted to say thanks to Sarah for her e-book on the SEF (quoting the inspector "your SEF was very thorough and I have gained several points from that document before we even start your inspection") - well worth investing in girls!!!!

Areas she questioned me on were:
    Risk Assessments (ensure that they are signed/dated with a renewal date (every 12 months or when needed) and put that date on there if no further risks have been identified).
    Permission Forms - especially if you have outdoor equipment such as bouncy castle/trampoline.
    Multicultural toys - have a selection of them - beg/borrow or steal! another source for these expensive toys is a toy library - surestart centres usually have these.
    References/questionnaires of services from parents - biggest brownie points going as it tell the inspector what the parents feel about you and your service.
    EYFS Portfolios - have a log sheet showing that you have identified their next steps (a), how you are going to help the child achieve the next step (b)and when you are going to do this (c), then another column showing that you have completed (c) and what you did, the outcome and start the process again.

The inspector did look round the property, taking note of where my fire extinguisher and fire blanket where situated and where there (fellow childminder didnt have fire blanket attached to the wall and was marked down). Garden - took note of toys within the garden and asked how children progressed with EYFS within the garden - i.e. what aspects apart from PD did it include. She did go upstairs - looked in my own bedroom (make sure you make your bed at least!! the embarassment!!!!) bathroom and toliet (separate) I did see her looking to see if there was any chemicals (bleach) around the toliet - flannels/paper towels for kids after washing their hands was another comment she commented about (had basket of flannels).
    All in all a very informal, relaxed inspection. My advice to all you girlies is that, the inspector is there for a small space of time (even though 3 hours does sound daunting). Within that time she has to evaluate 8-9 pages worth of questions from assessing you within that time (SEF does come into play here as previously mentioned). At the same time, you yourself know how good you are as do the parents you work for - so if it doesnt go as well as you hoped you know that your parents are still going to love you for being their wonderful childminder.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Inspection been and gone!! yahay!!!

Thank you for the great feedback!

Well done getting through your inspection... I am glad my e-book helped!

Daddy Day Care Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tinka77 View Post
    Hello all

I had my dreaded ofsted inspection last week. I was due in December 08 and having spoken to fellow childminders it seems that due to the introduction of the EYFS there is a 6-8 month gap for inspections. My inspector was lovely and I just wanted to say thanks to Sarah for her e-book on the SEF (quoting the inspector "your SEF was very thorough and I have gained several points from that document before we even start your inspection") - well worth investing in girls!!!!

Areas she questioned me on were:
    Risk Assessments (ensure that they are signed/dated with a renewal date (every 12 months or when needed) and put that date on there if no further risks have been identified).
    Permission Forms - especially if you have outdoor equipment such as bouncy castle/trampoline.
    Multicultural toys - have a selection of them - beg/borrow or steal! another source for these expensive toys is a toy library - surestart centres usually have these.
    References/questionnaires of services from parents - biggest brownie points going as it tell the inspector what the parents feel about you and your service.
    EYFS Portfolios - have a log sheet showing that you have identified their next steps (a), how you are going to help the child achieve the next step (b)and when you are going to do this (c), then another column showing that you have completed (c) and what you did, the outcome and start the process again.

The inspector did look round the property, taking note of where my fire extinguisher and fire blanket where situated and where there (fellow childminder didnt have fire blanket attached to the wall and was marked down). Garden - took note of toys within the garden and asked how children progressed with EYFS within the garden - i.e. what aspects apart from PD did it include. She did go upstairs - looked in my own bedroom (make sure you make your bed at least!! the embarassment!!!!) bathroom and toliet (separate) I did see her looking to see if there was any chemicals (bleach) around the toliet - flannels/paper towels for kids after washing their hands was another comment she commented about (had basket of flannels).
    All in all a very informal, relaxed inspection. My advice to all you girlies is that, the inspector is there for a small space of time (even though 3 hours does sound daunting). Within that time she has to evaluate 8-9 pages worth of questions from assessing you within that time (SEF does come into play here as previously mentioned). At the same time, you yourself know how good you are as do the parents you work for - so if it doesnt go as well as you hoped you know that your parents are still going to love you for being their wonderful childminder.

So what adivde would you give to me?

Jul 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies Daddy Day Care, advice to all fellow childminders (lads and girlies)

Daddy Day Care Guest

Lol no problem tinka I was only messing.

Glad your inspection went well and thank you for the report and advice

Gareth
    xx

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, agree with you on sarah's E-book for writting Sef, although mine is now abit like War and Peace I hope the Inspector sets aside at least 2 bed times to read it

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sally McGeown View Post
    Well done, agree with you on sarah's E-book for writting Sef, although mine is now abit like War and Peace I hope the Inspector sets aside at least 2 bed times to read it
    Very funny, mine is quite long as well.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks for passing on your tips for us all and I'm glad it went well.
    Paula

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose ofsted think it's necessary to have a fire extinguisher and blanket? Not that I disagree, i just wouldn't have thought about it. After all, in a normal home a small fire is fairly easily put out with a wet blanket/towel, and for anything bigger surely you would evacuate!

Mar 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Sarah's SEF book, Mrs O said that my SEF was 'in depth', it was very long and took me a couple of months to complete. I know that they say SEF is not compulsery but Im sure that it helped me to get my Outstanding grade.
    I shall definetly keep it up to date!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your feedback

Glad it went well for you - well done!

Miffy xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on your inspection result
    Liz xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! I have to say that I agree that Sarah's SEF e-book is brilliant!
    Georgina x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on you inspection
    Needs to Zumba

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Done, thanks for the feedback.
    Sandy
    xx