What is the secret to get outstanding grade???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the secret to get outstanding grade???

I am new in this business, I only have my pre-reg visit and my first potential customer soon.... but I really want to be good at it. What is the secret to get an outstanding grade?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the secret to get outstanding grade???

I dont think there is a secret, just hard work, a great relationship woth the kids and a willingness to continually assess what you do and improve on it to make it the best you possibly can.

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

when I grow up I'll be outstanding too!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No secret I don't think ... I was lucky on the day with the right inspector and I work incredibly hard to achieve and self reflect.

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others - there is no secret. Lots of hard work. I am really into this self assessment (although would prefer to do my own version rather than Ofsted's). It is something that I had been doing long before Ofsted made a big thing of it and it really helps you to focus on what you are good at and what needs changing for the better.

Having a good relationship with the children and parents is also very important.
    Donna

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a lovely inspector which helps

Always looking for ways to inprove

My inspector told me "it's the all extras i offer/have beyond whats required"

Mine was before EYFS, trouble is getting Outstanding is trying to keep it.

MORE HARD WORK

It's great to get the grade but i think its more important to enjoy what you do and have fun with the children.

Angela
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huggableshelly View Post
    when I grow up I'll be outstanding too!

x
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At my recent inspection I was so shocked to get Outstanding I asked why?
    She said : You have achieved your personal development plan(nvq3), you understand what is required under the EYFS, the SEF filled in superbly , you show that you love the children and they love you etc....I try as well as I can and I worked very hard to get the grade I got so go for it and be the best you can!!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If there was a secret we'd all tell each other on here and be outstanding but there isn't so we don't and we aren't! Ha ha!

Good luck with your childminding.

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine before the EYFS too....and for what im not sure either.
    My inspector said it was the way I run my setting, the service I provided to the community & all the above and beyond bits i do..

Now just have to hang onto it ...My inspection was due last june
    It is alot of hard work and fun too....

Good luck to all having inspections next week

mertonparker.x
    You make 'em, I amuse 'em.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Luck! I do work hard, but I feel the pressure is on to keep it outstanding next inspection.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You be fine! Your question said it all! "I want to be good at what I do" ( or similar, can't really remember your exact words, sorry) So GOOD is good. it means you will be GOOD at what you do.

I do think you need to strive to get an outstanding. I know on my inspection I did everything right, I had all the paperwork and had only one recommendation, which was to "make your observations even better than they are already, I am going to push you" (ofsted inspector 12th November 2008 ?)

I think it is all to do with the inspector to what grade you get to be honest. My inspector loves giving GOODS

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LNena View Post
    I am new in this business, I only have my pre-reg visit and my first potential customer soon.... but I really want to be good at it. What is the secret to get an outstanding grade?
    I worked hard to get mine and continue my good practice. By following the welfare requirements and not just doing it because youve got inspection coming up is important, to sound confident about what you are doing, this all comes with experience. It does help if you have a nice inspector thou! keep up to date with any changes in childcare, continue to look on sites like this one, cus you will get great ideas and feed back.
    Good luck with your inspection

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that there is a secret to it. I certainly wasn't trying to get it. I just did what I always do & obviously it was enough to satisfy the inspector. I wasn't actually bothered about getting outstanding, so was very relaxed about it. I know a lot of people work so hard to get outstanding, but I'd have been happy enough with good - though of course I was thrilled to get outstanding!

Mouse
    x

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to know the secret too - on my last inspection she said that everything I did was fantastic and above and beyond what I needed to do. My only recommendation was more 'multi-cultural resources'. I think it depends upon luck and the inspector that you have.

TheBTeam Guest

My last inspector met me at the door on by saying 'I don't give outstanding, and i very rarely give good and i have already given my one this week!' I did get a good, but she said to me after every question she asked 'well that makes you satisfactory what makes you good?', I do the same and a bit more than a cm colleague (she won't mind me saying because she keeps telling me) and my inspection lasted 4 hours, she got an outstanding and very similar comments about how well we were doing! So although I was a bit gutted I didn't get an outstanding the same, i also think that I know I am good 50 weeks of the year, and didn't need to do or prepare anything for my inspection, (i only knew the afternoon before) I know someone who got outstanding because she became a recluse for 6 weeks before the due date of her inspection and created a work of art. I think it is fantastic for those who get outstanding and really deserve it, but some of it is down to who you get doing the inspection!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
    My last inspector met me at the door on by saying 'I don't give outstanding, and i very rarely give good and i have already given my one this week!' I did get a good, but she said to me after every question she asked 'well that makes you satisfactory what makes you good?', I do the same and a bit more than a cm colleague (she won't mind me saying because she keeps telling me) and my inspection lasted 4 hours, she got an outstanding and very similar comments about how well we were doing! So although I was a bit gutted I didn't get an outstanding the same, i also think that I know I am good 50 weeks of the year, and didn't need to do or prepare anything for my inspection, (i only knew the afternoon before) I know someone who got outstanding because she became a recluse for 6 weeks before the due date of her inspection and created a work of art. I think it is fantastic for those who get outstanding and really deserve it, but some of it is down to who you get doing the inspection!
    Hi, i agree, and it depends on what you tell them, some childminders do the paperwork before, then when they have been inspected dont bother, i think we all should have random inspections, then they will really know if you are Outstanding!
    Tammy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the secret to get an outstanding grade?
    You could purchase a tiny little Sarah707 (Superminder!) to keep in your pocket. That would be a good start.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    You could purchase a tiny little Sarah707 (Superminder!) to keep in your pocket. That would be a good start.
    I'm inviting sarah here for a weeks holiday to make sure my paperwork is sorted for ofsted, eyfs, my mindees, my parents andm my coursework so everyone else needs to form a queue tyvm
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angela234 View Post
    I had a lovely inspector which helps

Always looking for ways to inprove

My inspector told me "it's the all extras i offer/have beyond whats required"

Mine was before EYFS, trouble is getting Outstanding is trying to keep it.

MORE HARD WORK

It's great to get the grade but i think its more important to enjoy what you do and have fun with the children.

Angela

Mine was also before EYFS and really do hope I can keep it. Just believe in yourself, don't get dragged into everyone elses moans and groans. If you think something will improve you practice, just do it!
    Keep yourself updated and evaluate constantly.
    REACH FOR THE STARS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast