Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Care Commission consultation?

Did you all get your letters this week about the consultation over CC inspections for CMs?

They want to change it to:

At least once a year for first two years following registration
    Thereafter once every two years.

What do you all think?

I think it's a good idea to reduce it personally I know many CM have been waiting forever for their annual insp, some over 12 months, so they aren't able to meet their current objectives anyway are they?

Also think it's good to have it annually still for newbies to give them reassruance that they are doing the right thing ( speaking as one myself who has her 1st insp a week on Friday!!! )

Sep 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Care Commission consultation?

Yes I got the letter this morning. Got notification that all the Childminders in our area were to receive unannounced inspections in March and we are all still waiting! So frustrating. Its the waiting that we all hate - every car that stops outside, every knock at the door its a nightmare! I think annual inspections are good for those starting out but I have been doing this for over 8 years now and feel that once every two years would be good for those with good grades. But..... & there is always a but as long as the Care Commission keep us up to date with what is expected & dont spring LOTS of surprises on us during the inspection. Good Luck with your inspection you will be fine.

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I got mine this morning too.

I think it is a good idea as they are struggling to inspect us all at the moment on a yearly basis so this way it lets all the newbies be done yearly and the rest every other year or third yearly.

Ive been done for this year and when she came she did say that they were struggling to keep up and hence why we had to wait 3 months to get our report and grading.
    Fiona xx

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had my letter yet! I can understand why they want to do this as some of the childminders in my area should have had their inspections months ago & are still waiting! They inspected me in May and I only got my report last month! They still haven't put it online yet despite 3 phonecalls from me! Anyway, I like the idea of every 2 years

Sep 00
    Post Thanks / Like

A Childminder friend of mine had the C.C. arrive at her door yesterday to do last years inspection!!?? Stayed half an hour and just looked at paperwork. Inpsector said they were really struggling and she couldnt say when would get report or this years inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Shocked to hear they are carrying out unnannounced inspection, I thought these were only in case of emergency??

Aug2000
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector said unnannounced inspections were unlikely as they didn't have time to go knocking on doors and find the minder out or having to do a nursery run.

I got an email about the 2 yearly inspections. I think its fine as long as they keep on top of the ones who are struggling to make the grade. I know they said after 2 years it would be reduced but sometimes someone may need a bit more support than this and I hope they dont get lost in the system for the sake of the childminder and the kids.

I felt at my 'mock' grading inspection that the emphasis was put on the parents to say that all was fine which I thought at the time wasn't the best thing as some parents might not want to speak up but I now realise that that must be part of the strategy to decrease the inspections. Still not sure its the best thing but can see the bigger picture now.

I kinda like my yearly inspections as it makes me feel that I am doing things right and at inspection time gives me a wee kick up the bum to review what I am doing.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to admit I too like the original plan of annual inspections as it will enable us to be consistently using best practise and getting the feedback we ( I?!) feel I need as a workeer in the home with no immediate superior to say thi is wrong you should do that instead etc )
    I am shocked that England only has 3 yearly, that's far too long imo - anything could happen in 3 yrs. I think this is a huge plus that Scotland has in Childminding as a profession

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know what the care commission are looking for at inpections in 09/10 yet. due my inspection any day now for 08/09
    karen

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm it's not up yet - should be on here http://www.carecommission.com/index....=6426&Itemid=1, it was last year. Maybe give them a call and ask?

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

The last Care comm magazine mentions it, I think it's to do with the new early years framework!
    Ali xx

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

will dig out my care commission mag from my filing cabinet, probably just skiffed it when it arrived
    karen

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alibali View Post
    The last Care comm magazine mentions it, I think it's to do with the new early years framework!
    duh the what?

ffs if they are going to inspect us on it, at least have the decency to train us/tell us *** it is?!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Where i live in the midlands we have our inspections every three years. I have just had mine and when she left she said see you in three years. My report took just three weeks to arrive .Hope they dont go back to anual inspections

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Heth this is in Scotland hon

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't received anything from them yet. I was at the childminders drop in today and a few of the girls were saying that they were told by the CCO's that unannounced inspections were going to become the norm that they would ring the day before to check what time people would be in

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

most of my inspections are unanounced. last time she came last time she came to my house the response she got from me was im not due an inspction yet its only been 9 months since my last one, she said my one before that had been late and she was trying to space them out properly,next one was due in november, had the letter through so it could be anytime now, but im not going to be staying in for a month.
    karen