Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking My recent Ofsted Inspection

Hi Everyone, I've had a few members ask me about my recent Ofsted Inspection so I will tell you about it here:

I had a phone call from the Inspector on Wednesday 7th February. She informed me she was travelling from Newcastle! A very long drive!!!!!
    She asked me which days I was working the following week and which day suited me best. I told her Tuesday and she said as she had to travel so far that's the day she would be coming.
    She asked me to prepare an activity which she could observe and she wanted to see the following:
    *First aid certificate
    *Safeguarding policy
    *CRB checks
    *Print out of my SEF
    *Any other relevant documentation I wanted to show her.

I have been preparing for this day for the past 4 years I was so ready for her
    On Tuesday morning, I had everything laid out on the kitchen table, policies and procedures, certificates, documents, admission forms, fire drills, parent and child questionnaires and thank you cards I had saved over the years.

She arrived at 9:45am, I checked her ID and welcomed her in, she told me she had left her mobile phone in her car and should she need to make a call she would return to her car to do so.
    She then said what a lovely drive down she had had despite setting off at 6:30am!!!! and she found the area I lived in lovely (This made me feel so much better as I had heard horror stories of if your inspector has a bad start to the day you can forget a good grade)
    I offered her a drink after her long journey and she asked for a glass of water.
    She got out her laptop and told me she would watch me as I got on with my day and ask questions where she needed to.
    Firstly she asked for all my certificates, I went through them all - she was very impressed and liked I did the CPD courses put on by Childcare.co.uk & the amazing Sarah Neville
    She asked about my planned activity, I was looking after a 30 month old who is really into play dough at the moment and with it being Valentine's Day the next day I had red play dough and heart shaped cutters, this was also her planned next step - The inspector loved this and said so many people plan activities that the child wouldn't like or has never done before, but I wasn't going out of my comfort zone for anyone, my focus is purely on the children I am looking after.
    Turns out X didn't want heart cutters she wanted the other cutters instead, not a problem, I followed her lead and she played happily with the box of cutters and tools we had out. As we played X made me a play dough pancake as it was pancake day! which she then took over to the play kitchen and cooked for me
    I made her a pancake for snack which she loved.

The inspector asked me about my robust Safeguarding policy which she was very impressed with. My husband was abused as a child and we now work closely with the NSPCC, he's a runner and has raised a very large amount for them, she could tell by the amount of emphasis we put into safeguarding the children in our care.

She then spent time looking through all my other Policies and Procedures, Learning Journeys (which she said were amazing showing clear next steps and progress) attendance registers, child admission forms, contracts, fire drill etc etc and all the thank you cards and questionnaires.

She asked me questions about the children's progress and I knew what their next steps were and how to help them progress further, I work very closely with parents to offer advice for home and work closely with nursery and school to ensure the children get a good transition and education.

She then at 12:45 said "I think I've seen everything I need to see and more, you have clearly shown me how passionate and caring you are, you have clear and extremely detailed paperwork that shows you support both children and their families and an incredible way.
    All that's left for me to say is that I am happy to tell you I am grading you as *OUTSTANDING*

I was shocked and cried but this is what I have been working so hard for, the children I look after are incredible and I feel very fortunate to do the job I do.
    Parents have chosen me to care for the most precious thing in the world, their child.

I have always had a passion to be outstanding as I want to be the best I can possibly be, but even now there's always room for improvement.

So My Advice to you all is this:
    If you love your job and the children you are caring for your half way there. Make sure you know your children well and where they are at and what your next step for them is. Make sure your policies reflect what you do. Updating paperwork is not a chore its protecting your business and the children you are caring for and most importantly be yourself and show the inspector how amazing you are, it's not an easy job, but it is rewarding
    and Remember the inspector doesn't know you at all, you have to paint the picture in a few hours of what kind of childminder you are. The way you sell yourself in those few hours is so important. Check your local Safeguarding board for updates and as you all know Sarah Neville is beyond amazing at keeping everyone updated and good luck

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A thorough explanation Tink. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading it!

3. Likes loocyloo, Tink liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this with us x
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo, Tink liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you. Lovely reading xx

7. Likes Tink liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Tink, great feedback. Well done! X

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a lovely inspector and she gave you the grade you had worked so hard for and deserved. Well done

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Tink!
    Sounds like those few hours were quite calm...always great to read inspection feedback
    xx
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x