Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Prevent duty & British values

Ofsted are asking questions about the Prevent Duty and British values during childminder inspections.

If you have half an hour spare today please do the FREE training so you are up-to-date with the new law and have a certificate for your file - engine.

If you are a Childcare.co.uk gold member there is a free 1 hour Educare course here (it didn't take me that long) - https://www.childcare.co.uk/training.

Make sure you have a copy of the (updated 08.15) Prevent duty in your computer files - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-duty-guidance.

Read the early years guidance - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-prevent-duty.

Understand what British values are - and are not! - Fundamental British Values in the Early Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5.

Prevent is about keeping children safe from radicalisation and extremism... it is an important part of safeguarding!!

2. Likes bunyip, FloraDora, Richard, Goatgirl liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah.

I have the Educare login details now (following up my previous thread of last week; thanks for the tip.) I aim to read through the manual then have a go at a couple of courses over the next week or so. This one is high on my list.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Xx

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did the free training and printed the certificate. Hows that for dedication ( or stupidity) as I'm on my two week annual holiday and am also trying to back my case to go tho Devon. Although it was a bit basic it did make me think about how this happens to people.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona Guest

I wonder if anyone has read the Prevent Duty ...especially page 7: Working in Partnership and Staff training?

Under the training section there is either a 'misprint' or the DfE believes CMs are again 'different' from the rest of the sector?...will anyone raise this as unfair?

Prevent is Safeguarding and all providers...including CMs.... should be able to attend a course run by their LAs to link it with their own LSCB and local Safeguarding procedures.

I am sure LAs are sharing information on this issue....check your inbox or call your EY team to ask about training

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I wonder if anyone has read the Prevent Duty ...especially page 7: Working in Partnership and Staff training?

Under the training section there is either a 'misprint' or the DfE believes CMs are again 'different' from the rest of the sector?...will anyone raise this as unfair?

Prevent is Safeguarding and all providers...including CMs.... should be able to attend a course run by their LAs to link it with their own LSCB and local Safeguarding procedures.

I am sure LAs are sharing information on this issue....check your inbox or call your EY team to ask about training
    Sadly that is not happening. We were on safeguarding training on Saturday and the course hardly mentioned Prevent and I don't recall British values coming up at all...

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Sadly that is not happening. We were on safeguarding training on Saturday and the course hardly mentioned Prevent and I don't recall British values coming up at all...
    The best way to deal with that is to challenge the LA on that...or it will turn out to be another issue where LAs 'do as they please' in their interpretation of DfE guidance.

Did anyone during training ask the trainer about Prevent and if she/he was going to cover the subject? did no one ask questions? that would be strange.

My take is that, in the event that any provider should have concerns regarding radicalisation their first call would be to LSCB...the other issue is that Ofsted would judge any LA if they were not discharging their duties of training the workforce.

Let's not forget we have 152 LAs with just as many distinctive ways in what they do ...however Working Together to Safeguard children' covers All LAs with no exception.

There is no need to be trained on BV....I have heard many consultants say the sector has already been teaching those values in the EYFS via the PSED

I was hoping someone had read the clearly stated assumption in the guidance that cms may find it difficult to be trained in Prevent Duty...another reason for cms to be singled out by the DfE...at this rate they will put cms on a special 'exclusion step'.
    Last edited by Simona; 06-10-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours are doing courses this Autumn. Better late than never but not helpful for all the cms in the area who have already had Inspections since 1st Sept and a lot of us have been.!

Ofsted are indeed asking about both. They want to know we are aware of Prevent and how and where to report a concern. They were impressed I had done the Channel Training.

They are also asking about and looking how you embed British Values in your everyday practice. Don't want to see posters or stuff about British traditions (well not portrayed as British Values) or more than a line in Safeguarding Policy referring to it. Liked the idea that I had the first pages of all the relevant Safeguarding documents in my Safeguarding Folder referencing to the copy saved on the Computer, said there was no need to have complete printed copies of everything as long as we know where to look at them.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way to deal with that is to challenge the LA on that...or it will turn out to be another issue where LAs 'do as they please' in their interpretation of DfE guidance.

Did anyone during training ask the trainer about Prevent and if she/he was going to cover the subject? did no one ask questions? that would be strange.

My take is that, in the event that any provider should have concerns regarding radicalisation their first call would be to LSCB...the other issue is that Ofsted would judge any LA if they were not discharging their duties of training the workforce.

Let's not forget we have 152 LAs with just as many distinctive ways in what they do ...however Working Together to Safeguard children' covers All LAs with no exception.

There is no need to be trained on BV....I have heard many consultants say the sector has already been teaching those values in the EYFS via the PSED

I was hoping someone had read the clearly stated assumption in the guidance that cms may find it difficult to be trained in Prevent Duty...another reason for cms to be singled out by the DfE...at this rate they will put cms on a special 'exclusion step'.
    To be honest I don't think there is that much to train on and I will be very interested to see what my LA say when I attend training in a couple of weeks. (I had my inspection on 21st and the Inspector was more than happy that I had the Prevent Document to hand and that I knew who to report to, was impressed I had done Channel training myself). You are right the LCSB and Lado are a good call. The Police also have a dedicated Prevent Team in each area who are there to help.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Ours are doing courses this Autumn. Better late than never but not helpful for all the cms in the area who have already had Inspections since 1st Sept and a lot of us have been.!

Ofsted are indeed asking about both. They want to know we are aware of Prevent and how and where to report a concern. They were impressed I had done the Channel Training.

They are also asking about and looking how you embed British Values in your everyday practice. Don't want to see posters or stuff about British traditions (well not portrayed as British Values) or more than a line in Safeguarding Policy referring to it. Liked the idea that I had the first pages of all the relevant Safeguarding documents in my Safeguarding Folder referencing to the copy saved on the Computer, said there was no need to have complete printed copies of everything as long as we know where to look at them.
    I am sure that all will be in place soon and training more available to everyone and to be familiar with the new terminology

I had a good look at my LA LSCB and there is a lot of info there so all LAs must have something for us to go on

The WRAP training by the Home Office is still being built to capacity as Prevent Duty clearly states and LAS have special people trained in that already.

Channel was first piloted in 2007 while the Prevent Strategy came out in 2011
    Why is the training not rolled out and ready by Sept 15 beats me ...they have had enough time!

I would like to see a ' refresher' on BV to reinforce why we are already promoting those values and stop the flags and bunting even being produced in the first place.
    Well done for doing well at inspection.....it works when we have read the guidance and know which to refer to

13. Likes rickysmiths liked this post