I didn't tell Ofsted!!?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I didn't tell Ofsted!!?

Hi, when I had my pre-reg in June, I didn't tell Osted that I might use a bedroom for any children to sleep. I currently mind a 15 month old who could do with somewhere quiet to sleep. If I wanted to put a travel cot in my bedroom purely for her to sleep in, would I need to tell Ofsted or can I tell them that I use it when I have my first inspection. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just email them and tell them with a copy of your risk assessment for the room then keep a copy of the email.

You prob wouldn't be picked up on it but better safe than sorry

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CE1. Email them and let them know you're going to be using the room and have risk assessed it accordingly.

You'll probably get the standard reply "thank you for your email. We have updated your records", so keep a copy of it in case it's ever queried.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies, very useful.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Osted require me to risk assess the bathroom and room where the travel cot is because the child will only sleep in the travel cot and won't get out, then taken straight downstairs. The room will be only used for sleeping in the cot

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    Will Osted require me to risk assess the bathroom and room where the travel cot is because the child will only sleep in the travel cot and won't get out, then taken straight downstairs. The room will be only used for sleeping in the cot
    Risk assess for things like going up & down stairs, how would you get to them in an emergency, what if they did climb out, how will you check on while they're sleeping etc.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Risk assess for things like going up & down stairs, how would you get to them in an emergency, what if they did climb out, how will you check on while they're sleeping etc.
    Thank you Moggy, would it be best to have a baby monitor so that I can hear what's going on?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think even when sleeping they have to be in sight and or hearing so if you can't see them you have to be able to hear them so yes you would need a monitor if you can't hear them from the room.
    I also checked them fairly often while sleeping but am always a bit paranoid about little one sleeping, both others and my own 3 year old still!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

So am I right in saying that if it is only of the intention to sleep in a travel cot I wouldn't need to make the whole upstairs child proof?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

On my pre reg I hadn't cleared a few bits from the room with the travel cot but had a list of what I needed to do to make it safe (attach small bookcase to wall etc) and she said as long as they were in a cot and couldn't reach anything from it nothing else needed doing as long as I had a monitor so I could hear them.
    Turns out none of them would sleep in the cot and all sleep downstairs in buggy so needn't have worried!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    On my pre reg I hadn't cleared a few bits from the room with the travel cot but had a list of what I needed to do to make it safe (attach small bookcase to wall etc) and she said as long as they were in a cot and couldn't reach anything from it nothing else needed doing as long as I had a monitor so I could hear them.
    Turns out none of them would sleep in the cot and all sleep downstairs in buggy so needn't have worried!
    Thank you

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    Hi, when I had my pre-reg in June, I didn't tell Osted that I might use a bedroom for any children to sleep. I currently mind a 15 month old who could do with somewhere quiet to sleep. If I wanted to put a travel cot in my bedroom purely for her to sleep in, would I need to tell Ofsted or can I tell them that I use it when I have my first inspection. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
    if it gives you peace of mind call Ofsted and get them to add that bedroom in your setting to use just for sleep.

We do not need to Risk Assess anymore...just make sure you can hear the baby, and think how you would get out in an emergency if there was a fire downstairs and you were in that room.

Make sure the helpline record your call and ask for the name of the person who you speak to.