Taking on an assistant
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking on an assistant

I am taking on an assistant for half terms only.

We have done the paperwork for DBS - hopefully this shouldn't take too long as has previously had a DBS.

All forms ready to submit to ofsted once DBS is complete.

What next? Can they work with me before Ofsted confirm? How long does it take for Ofsted to respond? Do they come and visit following this request?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gemma659353 View Post

We have done the paperwork for DBS - hopefully this shouldn't take too long as has previously had a DBS.

What next? Can they work with me before Ofsted confirm? How long does it take for Ofsted to respond? Do they come and visit following this request?
    The DBS is the first step. Once you've submitted it, and Ofsted therefore know about your intention to take on an Assistant, I would then arrange 3 x training courses and an induction to how things work at your setting as well as how you operate EYFS.

The key training courses are:

Paediatric First Aid (I would also send a copy of the assistant's certificate to Ofsted when you have it - email is fine - so they are aware)
    Safeguarding Children (Introduction; The Legal Framework - these are two separate elements of the training)
    Food Hygiene (Level 2)

I would also ensure that your parents are aware of the Assistant joining, and get their permission for the Assistant to be left alone with the children for up to 2 hours in one day (subject to the Assistant having first of all passed the DBS checks, and then completed First Aid Training), and advise parents of exactly what these circumstances might be.

Once you get a Suitable Person letter from Ofsted, then the Assistant can start with you (but you must supervise them as they can't be left alone until they have completed a Paediatric First Aid course.)

Ofsted send the Suitable Person letter once all of their checks are complete and the assistant has passed (which include Social Services checks, so can take some time). If all is fine, then there is no reason for Ofsted to come and visit you to 'inspect' your assistant.

Hope this helps,

L

Post Thanks / Like

My assistant has already done all the courses etc.

How long would you say Ofsted take? I have children who I already care for need care in the summer holidays but on my own would take me to 7 children so I can't do it under continuity of care

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My assistant has already done all the courses etc.

How long would you say Ofsted take? I have children who I already care for need care in the summer holidays but on my own would take me to 7 children so I can't do it under continuity of care
    In the old days, you could just phone them and ask them for a timeframe. Mention to them that you need this person in place by x date. I'm pretty sure you can still do this (or call the DBS people?)

Every case is different so I don't have an answer to this one.

Also in the old days, it was my understanding that the person could start with you once you'd submitted all of the paperwork, and Ofsted were aware of them. Their only stipulation was that the person could not be unsupervised with the children until the suitable person letter. Maybe others on the forum know if this is still the case?

I hope this helps.

L

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

you only need a DBS now then you can take on a assistant as long as you don't leave them on their own with the children, I was told this by ofsted the beginning of this year she said 'you can increase your numbers while you wait for the letter from Ofsted confirming the assistant is suitable to work with children', she sent me an email so if you would like to see it let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. She already had a DBS but we did a new one as she hadn't signed up for. The update with her previous one, so waiting for that.

The EY2 form is complete ready to be submitted then I will start chasing Ofsted.

It's just a pain because the children go to preschool/after school club and then to me for one hour a week after this on a Thursday (I make it worth my while lol!) and they have now announced today that they have decided not to open at all during the holidays, both parents are doctors so don't have much flexibility and really need full time childcare and there is no one else with space in the village. I will have 7 between 10am and 12pm then down to five but want a full time assistant to help out at other times too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. She already had a DBS but we did a new one as she hadn't signed up for. The update with her previous one, so waiting for that.

The EY2 form is complete ready to be submitted then I will start chasing Ofsted.

It's just a pain because the children go to preschool/after school club and then to me for one hour a week after this on a Thursday (I make it worth my while lol!) and they have now announced today that they have decided not to open at all during the holidays, both parents are doctors so don't have much flexibility and really need full time childcare and there is no one else with space in the village. I will have 7 between 10am and 12pm then down to five but want a full time assistant to help out at other times too.
    this is the email

In response to your enquiry Childminders may decide to increase the number of children they can care for when working with an assistant or another childminder, they must always tell us if they intend to work with an assistant, or if the people they work with change. This is because the law requires childminders to tell us about all people who are living or working on the premises where childminding is provided so that we can check to see if they are suitable to be in contact with children.

Assistants and childminders wishing to work with another childminder must submit an EY2 or a CR2 depending on which registers they are on. Assistants and childminders must not be left unsupervised with the children until they have been deemed suitable and have an appropriate first aid certificate.

When a childminder submits an EY2 form to Ofsted for an assistant it is not stated anywhere that they need to wait for the assistant’s suitability decision to increase their numbers, however the childminder will need to plan and manage how they will ensure they do not leave the assistant alone unsupervised with extra children or complete a school run with extra children (bearing in mind they cannot travel in 2 separate cars) until the suitability process has been completed. They will also need to think about what they will do if the suitability checks come back and they are deemed not suitable to work with children as the childminder wouldn’t be able to look after the additional children until they find another person deemed suitable by Ofsted to replace them.

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Andrea McCormack

Ofsted - Applications, Regulatory and Contact team

Telephone: 0300 123 1231

Email: enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Ofsted on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ofstednews

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted have just told me the same as in the below email, they have also said the assistant, who is my sister in law, could be left unsupervised of my children without her checks being completed if I wish. Has anyone else been told this? I'm still a little unsure.

I may try emailing and see if they respond with the same answer.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted have just told me the same as in the below email, they have also said the assistant, who is my sister in law, could be left unsupervised of my children without her checks being completed if I wish. Has anyone else been told this? I'm still a little unsure.

I may try emailing and see if they respond with the same answer.
    Crikey - I would definitely get that in writing if you're planning on following this advice, as it is very different from that in Tammy Tot's email.

Cover yourself!

All the best,

L

Post Thanks / Like

Gemma can I ask what the upshot was with you taking on our assistant and what you had to do in the end? I am thinking of taking one on too....
    How much do you pay yours, is it worth your while?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Gemma can I ask what the upshot was with you taking on our assistant and what you had to do in the end? I am thinking of taking one on too....
    How much do you pay yours, is it worth your while?
    I believe that anyone who takes on an assistant will have no choice BUT to pay the National Living Wage introduced by the chancellor at the Budget...that is £9.

Other issues to look for it that as an employer you will have to pay sick pay, holidays and a pension
    Can Cms do this when the funding rate for Early education is so low and with 30 hours of chldcare looming over the sector?

Think again before going down the assistant route...there are alternatives!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I believe that anyone who takes on an assistant will have no choice BUT to pay the National Living Wage introduced by the chancellor at the Budget...that is £9.
    Very true.

...............and one wonders whether this will be taken into account when the UK regime reports into its findings on the cost of delivering childcare?

Post Thanks / Like

Will the national living wage mean we can drive our own hourly rate up too or does it not work like that?

Simona Guest

I read yesterday that the message to the Govt is that, unless the funding rate is reviewed in an appropriate way, the cost of childcare will spiral out of control!!
    I think it comes from NDNA...all their practitioners will suddenly have to be paid NLW...ouch!

That is exactly what has happened in the last few years...our costs have gone up but the funding has remained stuck...result: parents are paying the cost.
    Simple.. if only George Osborne et all would work this out...it does not take a genius to work that out...basic maths....give them an abacus for goodness sake!
    The NLW will be £9...we, say, get £4 ph...so it does not add up

Will the govt listen the cost of childcare consultation? ...I doubt it...then the ball is in our court...either we risk our sustainability or tell the govt we will not do the funding...or limit it.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good points, SImoana.

Any idea where this leaves LA nurseries if their wage bill suddenly spikes whilst central regime funding continues to plummet?

I worry that LA nurseries might start down the 'Big Society' road, like some libraries which are staffed by a supporting cast of volunteers.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Good points, SImoana.

Any idea where this leaves LA nurseries if their wage bill suddenly spikes whilst central regime funding continues to plummet?

I worry that LA nurseries might start down the 'Big Society' road, like some libraries which are staffed by a supporting cast of volunteers.
    That is already happening Bunyip...not just volunteers but apprentices too.
    Also worth considering the NLW does not apply to those under the age of 25...clever Osborne or not?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That is already happening Bunyip...not just volunteers but apprentices too.
    Also worth considering the NLW does not apply to those under the age of 25...clever Osborne or not?
    Good point again. Ah, I missed that subtle detail. And of course, many nurseries are staffed by a disproportionately high number of late teens who "love working with children."