Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspection

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection

Had my inspection this morning and believe it or not it was an enjoyable experience for once, and as this would be my last inspection before I finish I suppose I was a lot more relaxed than before and not really bothered too much. After reading previous inspection reports by the inspector I was expecting it to be a grilling but she was actually very nice. She liked the fact that my paper work had references to the changes that were coming in soon and that I had done an updated SEF albeit a hard copy. She spent time outside playing in the sand with us and asked my little one lots of questions. She checked the bathroom to make sure there was nothing dangerous to him as he takes himself to the toilet now. I retained my GOOD grading that I am more than happy with (especially as she had downgraded an OUTSTANDING minder recently to requires improvement. The only recommendations she made were to get him to take part and understand rhyming, I told her I need him to understand talk in general first (he has problems with this), and too make sure he has more opportunities at craft experiences, again I told her that he is very fussy what he will or won't touch and she agreed that I know these things are problems to him and that I am working with parents, and pre-school to work on this.
    Anyone having an inspection soon make sure that you know your children inside out and that you are aware of all the changes that are taking place.
    If I think of any more I will post some more. Inspection lasted 3.25 hrs.
    Teacake2

2. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, well done and thank you for the info xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news x nice to hear you had a good inspector xx well done for all your hard work x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and thanks for the info......I have been told mine will be over the summer holidays so trying to keep up to date with everything plus all the changes !!!
    Pixie Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations

Post Thanks / Like

Well done :-)

nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default unfair judgement

Hi this is my first post and i would really like help understanding why i have been marked down on something after my inspection last week.I have just found out that the inspector said i wasn't using my "time efficiently" when i was cooking lunch for the children i work with another childminder so she was in the lounge with the children whilst i was cooking so they weren't on there own,i was in the kitchen for maybe 30 mins during that time i cleared up the painting we had just done, cooked,cleaned the area and sorted out all the highchairs, we pride ourselfs on our healthy fresh meals which we cook every day which the parents always comment on how much they like this.
    I'm actually quite hurt by this comment we work really hard long days have great feedback from parents and i feel very harshly judged!
    We have complained about our inspection because of a couple of other things we weren't happy about and are waiting to hear back but just wondered if anyone else has had a comment like this?

10. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well done Teacake! Delighted it went well for you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicnic31 View Post
    Hi this is my first post and i would really like help understanding why i have been marked down on something after my inspection last week.I have just found out that the inspector said i wasn't using my "time efficiently" when i was cooking lunch for the children i work with another childminder so she was in the lounge with the children whilst i was cooking so they weren't on there own,i was in the kitchen for maybe 30 mins during that time i cleared up the painting we had just done, cooked,cleaned the area and sorted out all the highchairs, we pride ourselfs on our healthy fresh meals which we cook every day which the parents always comment on how much they like this.
    I'm actually quite hurt by this comment we work really hard long days have great feedback from parents and i feel very harshly judged!
    We have complained about our inspection because of a couple of other things we weren't happy about and are waiting to hear back but just wondered if anyone else has had a comment like this?

all inspectors look for different things - maybe this one expected you to be involving some of the children in the cooking experience. Inspectors like to see children being given opportunities to learn about healthy eating, simple science involved in cooking, life skills helping to tidy up etc...

however, at the end of the day, remember that they have to find something for everyone as an improvement / action x

nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    all inspectors look for different things - maybe this one expected you to be involving some of the children in the cooking experience. Inspectors like to see children being given opportunities to learn about healthy eating, simple science involved in cooking, life skills helping to tidy up etc...

however, at the end of the day, remember that they have to find something for everyone as an improvement / action x
    I'm sorry but I still think she made an unfair comment we haven't been inspected for 4 years she's there for all of 2 1/2 hours and she makes a judgement on how I use my time we do lots of cooking with the children but that morning we had already done lots of other activities and whilst I was cooking they were having some quiet storytime.

I don't mean to sound rude and I know that's there job to make judgements but how am I meant to know she would expect me to be doing cooking with the children on that day do all childminders have there children help to make each meal?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi this is my first post and i would really like help understanding why i have been marked down on something after my inspection last week.I have just found out that the inspector said i wasn't using my "time efficiently" when i was cooking lunch for the children i work with another childminder so she was in the lounge with the children whilst i was cooking so they weren't on there own,i was in the kitchen for maybe 30 mins during that time i cleared up the painting we had just done, cooked,cleaned the area and sorted out all the highchairs, we pride ourselfs on our healthy fresh meals which we cook every day which the parents always comment on how much they like this. I'm actually quite hurt by this comment we work really hard long days have great feedback from parents and i feel very harshly judged! We have complained about our inspection because of a couple of other things we weren't happy about and are waiting to hear back but just wondered if anyone else has had a comment like this?
    What was your overall grade nicnic? Have you been inspected before...what was your previous grade?

nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What was your overall grade nicnic? Have you been inspected before...what was your previous grade?
    Yes my first inspection was 4 years ago graded good this last inspection we were downgraded to requires improvement.
    A couple of things the inspector bought up I agreed with a few things I didnt mainly on the paperwork side within this week I have already put in place some of these things that required improvement but a big problem that I have is we won't be inspected again for another 3/4 years and by then we might not have a business because what parent would go with someone who got that grade I think they should check back within a few months to see if you have put everything in place.It's different with a school if they get that grade they still have children but with us I'm worried about the future of our business I really enjoy my job.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes my first inspection was 4 years ago graded good this last inspection we were downgraded to requires improvement.
    A couple of things the inspector bought up I agreed with a few things I didnt mainly on the paperwork side within this week I have already put in place some of these things that required improvement but a big problem that I have is we won't be inspected again for another 3/4 years and by then we might not have a business because what parent would go with someone who got that grade I think they should check back within a few months to see if you have put everything in place.It's different with a school if they get that grade they still have children but with us I'm worried about the future of our business I really enjoy my job.
    I disagree. Whilst having a good grade is important, it's not the be all and end all. Not one parent has asked me what grade I have. They are more concerned that you are going to care for their child well and help them progress.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are priced competitively and parents like you they will still use you.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

NicNic, I went from Satisfactory (on a technicality), to Good ("almost Outstanding") by the same Inspector, to ("almost Good" - Ofsted's words, not mine) - that is, Satisfactory, at my last inspection, which was an unannounced one a couple of years ago.

Like you, I wasn't happy about that inspection (coming only a few months after my 'almost Outstanding' one - again, Ofsted's words, not mine). Like you, I thought that I would struggle to get any more children, and I personally felt really hard done by.

However, this has not been the case. Firstly, all of the children who were with me then are still with me now. Where they have had little baby brothers or sisters, then these little ones are also with me (and another is joining at the end of the year). My practice is so much stronger now. I beat myself up hugely after what I looked on as my awful inspection. However, when I was able to see the positives in it, I have put so many improvements in place that I can hardly recognise my practice now compared to how it was before. (And I thought it was pretty good then!)

I hope you come out the other side of this. I understand that with "Requires Improvement", you will be inspected quickly - possibly within the year. Just put in place whatever improvements you can and enjoy the children you have.

From my point of view, if a parent is only concerned with my Ofsted grade, then I know they won't want to come here, so I politely turn them away. (Likewise if they are clearly shopping around for the cheapest childminder! My pet hate.)

If, on the other hand, they listen to what the other parents with me already say, then they will want to come here and will find my fees reasonable.

My parents all believe in me, and I have actually began to believe in myself again as well. I am still dreading my next inspection (whenever that happens to be), but at least I go to bed each night knowing that I have genuinely done my best for my children, they are all advanced and happy, and I am looking forward to them staying with me for as long as their families need me. (The same approach I have always taken.)

Good luck. Yes, it is natural to feel down after a disappointing inspection, but try to see the positives and get yourself back up there. I should add that I complained about my inspection. Then I discovered how rare it is to have a grade changed - you go through months of toing and froing on the complaint paperwork, only to achieve a few word changes. Is it really worth it? I for one wouldn't put myself through that again - it may be a bit different now but I can honestly say that I would rather use my energy on making it better for the children than fighting against an inspection outcome.

I hope it helps.

All the best,

LK
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 12-07-2015 at 02:20 PM.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted - first inspection!!

hey all!

as I am new to this, it will be my first inspection, so I wont have any children in the setting yet!

what kind of things do they look for without the children present? as in a lot of threads ive looked at it says they speak to the children, look at paperwork etc?

thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katesn86 View Post
    hey all!

as I am new to this, it will be my first inspection, so I wont have any children in the setting yet!

what kind of things do they look for without the children present? as in a lot of threads ive looked at it says they speak to the children, look at paperwork etc?

thanks
    The first time the Inspector comes out to you is NOT a grade inspection. It is called a 'pre-registration visit' and it is an opportunity for you to ask questions to the inspector, for the inspector to check your documentation (ID, DBS, first aid certificate etc) and for the inspector to have a look at your setting and find out about your knowledge of the EYFS and safeguarding. You will then be recommended for registration (or not).
    If you search 'pre-registration visit' am sure you'll find some helpful posts and maybe something in the Resources above, I'll have a look in a mo.

Is that the stage you are at? After you are registered they won't be back for a graded inspection for upto 30mths.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted Pre-Registration

have a look here.
    Also Ofsted have a document called 'Preparing for your pre-registration visit', you need to work through the booklet and write in your answers to help prepare yourself for the visit.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations. Sounds like a really nice inspection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast