Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ofsted consultation - example response

Ofsted consultation - Better Inspection for All

Closing date – 5th December 2014

You will find the consultation and information about the consultation here - Ofsted | Better inspection for all - consultation on proposals for a new framework for the inspection of schools, further education and skills providers and registered early years settings.

You can print the questions and fill the questionnaire in or you can answer it online by following the link above.

It is really important that we reply to the consultation because … if we don’t have our say we can’t then turn round and complain when they change things in the future!

Proposal 1 – Ofsted want to introduce a new inspection framework.

Question 1 – I ticked ‘agree’ – in the comments box I stated that I have some concerns about whether the inspection framework will meet the needs of childminders because I believe we are unique as home providers and parents look to us to provide care alongside learning, with care often being their top priority. If we are to be more robustly inspected on teaching and learning, I believe childminders need a lot more local authority support – which is currently being withdrawn.
    Many childminders are working with the Ofsted Big Conversation to lobby for better outcomes for childminders and need to mention this in their meetings - I hope that we can make a difference.

Question 2 – I ticked ‘agree’ – in the comments box I talked about my concern that childminders do not necessarily see themselves as teachers and while we have embraced and work within the EYFS learning requirements we are concerned that children are being pushed to ‘learn’ too early.

I follow the work of the ‘Too much too soon’ campaign – can all those highly respected early years professionals be wrong? About - Too Much, Too Soon Campaign.

I am also concerned that inspectors might be sent to inspect childminders who are not trained to understand our unique ways of working as home providers and will expect us to run mini nurseries. I do not believe this type of provision is appropriate for childminders.

Note – you really do need to read the proposal document alongside the questions because it will help you to write your ‘comments’ in the boxes…

Question 3 – I ticked ‘disagree’ – in the comments box I said that there is too much focus on teaching and learning and I believe that outcomes for children are being damaged as a result. I also said that, as I advise other childminders, I want better guidance from Ofsted about exactly what they want from us. Many times inspection feels like a test – and they have not given us a curriculum beforehand.

There is an added issue that DfE say they are trying to reduce the perceived ‘paperwork burden’ and then Ofsted inspectors require more and more documented evidence from childminders which is confusing and disheartening. We don’t have non-contact time to prepare our documentation but attempts to streamline it have met with negative comments from Ofsted inspectors – plus we have mostly lost our LA support – yet more is being asked of us.

Question 4 – I ticked ‘agree’ because in principle I think it’s a good thing. However, I am not convinced about how it will be judged by inspectors so in the comments box I said that childminders will be unable to deliver many of these points because of the nature of our work. For example, many childminders are part-time and parents find our flexibility helpful – but while we provide a high level of care for the children we might struggle to deliver such high learning expectations if children are rarely with us. Again, I reminded the consultation that we are unique and need to be inspected to our strengths.

I also feel that some of the other judgments such as promoting regular attendance are not within our remit!

Question 5 – I ticked ‘disagree’ and in the comments box I noted that Early Years Outcomes is a flawed document because early years children don’t make progress like that and providers are still being trained to tick outcomes achieved, which suggest to parents that their baby or child has failed. Even though EYO is guidance, many Ofsted inspectors (and LA advisors) still look to see what each child can and cannot do within the statements which, despite EYO saying it is not a tick list, suggests it should be marked off in some way. Further robust guidance and access to local training is required to stop the confusion and I think we need a more holistic view of early years child development.

Question 6 – I ticked ‘disagree’ because I do not feel that school is the right place for 2 year olds. I also believe that schools must be registered as early years providers and have to jump through the same hoops we jump through (along with nurseries and pre-schools) …

Question 7 – I ticked ‘disagree’ because again I don’t believe that a curriculum for little ones is necessarily the best way to support their learning… and I know that a lot of childminders have been downgraded because of their lack of teaching and planned learning experiences which I feel is a very unfair expectation in a home environment.

…………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..

Proposal 2 – short inspections
    I do not feel that I know enough about this to comment…

Proposal 3 – inspection of non-associated independent schools
    I do not feel that I know enough about this to comment…

Additional proposals - Inspection methodology

Question 11 – how can inspection be improved?

Again there is a focus on teaching and learning which, I believe, is unnecessary in the early years. I would like to see inspection on the statutory requirements (safeguarding and welfare) for childminders, with a clearly defined set of standards against which we would be graded.

Comments can be added to our inspection reports to say that we deliver high quality teaching and learning, but within a ‘compliance’ remit rather than the current inspection focus which looks at things like how many signs we have in the garden, how many of our boxes are labelled and how much paperwork we do - or don’t do.

I also wanted to raise the problem of independent vs agency childminders and inspection so I added a paragraph in this last question. We are told that a percentage of agency childminders will be inspected by Ofsted and the rest by their agency and that the inspection results will not be published. We then receive this consultation about independent childminder inspections which focusses strongly on children’s learning and childminders teaching children. There does not appear to be any correlation between the 2 types of childminders – and this needs to be resolved because parents need to be able to compare childminders fairly.

Please take a look at the consultation - it is very easy to complete - and not too long! Ofsted tell us that they are listening and they want us to respond... so please do!

2. Likes Rick liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sarah, I have done the questionnaire

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah - I am too tired to read it all through and complete the survey at the moment, but will definitely look at it after my Ofsted inspection later this week - I may have lots to say about the current inspection process by then!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have members completed this consultation yet? It is very important!!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yes all done

7. Likes sarah707 liked this post