Inspection query
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection query

Hi all, any advice appreciated. I live and work with a childminder friend (long story but it all works really well). We have remained childminders in our own right but do everything jointly. She hates paperwork/sorting policies etc but is fab at understanding kids and knowing how they tick. Basically we work well because we compliment each other's strengths. So I consequently keep on top of all our policies, procedures etc. She does observations on 'her' children and I do obs on 'mine'. We have parents permissions to provide care for each other's mindees of course.
    Our pamphlet for parents, newsletters, sef (I don't like ofsted's so devised our own) etc are all a joint effort about this setting.
    Ofsted are coming out to inspect her in November but are doing so on her singularly (which seems daft to me). Apart from not knowing the policies as I do, she really cracks under pressure and words go out of her head!
    My query is, should anyone know, is will I be able to prompt her? I feel it very unfair that childminders who are not as confident and quick thinking as others can potentially be marked down. And also am I right in assuming mrs. O cannot ask me to leave / keep out of the way?
    Prob silly questions but I just want to make sure I know where we stand!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I work on my own so have no experience of this but a local childminder who works with another was visited in the summer, she received a better grade than her co childminder because Mrs O wasn't so happy with her co childminders obs and Childrens assessments. Unfortunately we are all different so probably work differently.
    Even if you write the policies she will still have to know them to discuss and shows she follows them.
    I would imagine you can be there but not answer for her - unfortunately being confident about your paperwork and discussing it is part of the job, she is a childminder in her own right, not an assistant.
    Can I ask how you know Mrs O is coming in November?

I wish her good luck, with a colleague like you she has great support. Fingers crossed.

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - you are kind!
    Mrs o rang and said she'd be coming out week of 3rd nov. Someone else in this area (surrey) had same - a 3-4 week heads up.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fitrix View Post
    Thanks - you are kind!
    Mrs o rang and said she'd be coming out week of 3rd nov. Someone else in this area (surrey) had same - a 3-4 week heads up.

A CM in my area (Bedfordshire) had about a month's notice for her inspection last year.

Simona Guest

Hi all, any advice appreciated. I live and work with a childminder friend (long story but it all works really well). We have remained childminders in our own right but do everything jointly. She hates paperwork/sorting policies etc but is fab at understanding kids and knowing how they tick. Basically we work well because we compliment each other's strengths. So I consequently keep on top of all our policies, procedures etc. She does observations on 'her' children and I do obs on 'mine'. We have parents permissions to provide care for each other's mindees of course.
    Our pamphlet for parents, newsletters, sef (I don't like ofsted's so devised our own) etc are all a joint effort about this setting.
    Ofsted are coming out to inspect her in November but are doing so on her singularly (which seems daft to me). Apart from not knowing the policies as I do, she really cracks under pressure and words go out of her head!
    My query is, should anyone know, is will I be able to prompt her? I feel it very unfair that childminders who are not as confident and quick thinking as others can potentially be marked down. And also am I right in assuming mrs. O cannot ask me to leave / keep out of the way?
    Prob silly questions but I just want to make sure I know where we stand!
    In any team there are members strong in 1 area and weaker in another but the end result is a good team but....you are co- minders so the balance should be that both of you are fairly competent ..... and you could play on that
    You could devise an appraisal form....so that both of you can highlight the areas you feel good about and those who need working on

At inspection...apart from the teaching angle which is the main area of observation...the inspector will be looking for strong leadership and management ....seems to be the latest buzz word....from both of you in whatever areas you excel or need a bit of help

Good luck

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    At inspection...apart from the teaching angle which is the main area of observation...the inspector will be looking for strong leadership and management ....seems to be the latest buzz word....from both of you in whatever areas you excel or need a bit of help

Good luck
    Absolutely agree and she will be up to speed with everything. But my questions still stand - can I be asked to leave? And will I be able to prompt (not answer for her but prompt)?

I happen to believe strongly in our equality and diversity policy but believe it should apply to adults as well as children in this setting! Just as I cannot expect one little chap who is on the autistic spectrum to be able to ask for help with opening things because he can't, surely the inspector should be able to make allowances for my friend who has issues with mutism at times? Her anxieties do not make her any less capable as a childminder but do compromise her ability to promote herself. We have devised an information form which we hope covers everyday aspect the inspection will require but she would still feel more comfortable if I was able to give her a nudge in the right direction so to speak if necessary.

Simona Guest

Absolutely agree and she will be up to speed with everything. But my questions still stand - can I be asked to leave? And will I be able to prompt (not answer for her but prompt)?

I happen to believe strongly in our equality and diversity policy but believe it should apply to adults as well as children in this setting! Just as I cannot expect one little chap who is on the autistic spectrum to be able to ask for help with opening things because he can't, surely the inspector should be able to make allowances for my friend who has issues with mutism at times? Her anxieties do not make her any less capable as a childminder but do compromise her ability to promote herself. We have devised an information form which we hope covers everyday aspect the inspection will require but she would still feel more comfortable if I was able to give her a nudge in the right direction so to speak if necessary.
    Fitrix.....your co-minder is being inspected in her 'own right'
    I am not sure if any of the procedures on this have changed ...I would ring Ofsted and make enquiries or speak to other co- minders who have undergone this type of inspection
    The last time I heard from a co-minder on the day her partner was being inspected she told me she had planned to be out of the way and go out with some of the kids leaving the partner to get on

It sounds like you have already been forewarned about the inspection...you say it is in November...who did the caller want to speak to: either of you or your co-minder?
    Why not do a mock inspection and ask her about the 3 most needed documents for inspection...see if she gets more confidence and feels better prepared?

Hope you get it sorted
    Last edited by Simona; 12-10-2014 at 09:18 AM.