Can you use a school DBS
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you use a school DBS

Hi I have a DBS as I work in a school and it's registered to the update service .before i apoed I was told by ofsted I can use it and now they are saying I can't?has anyone else had this problem,thanks

2. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but no you have to have a new one done. I had 4 for a school and in recent years and couldn't use any of them. I think you should only ever have to do one and if any serious incidents or events which affect it occur they should be automatically updated by the relevant authorities who deal with such things and added to our DBS by them.

It's all a money making scam, they don't need a DBS for every job we apply for. Why do I need 4 separate checks for positions within the same school? They know me they know everything about my life apart from my toilet times (I'm serious, there is no privacy in a school, staff are so nosey about the smallest of things. It's one big gossip community)

Simona Guest

You can do a DBS now and if you pay a little extra it is 'transferable' so you can work in any setting...that was the way I understood it....this thread has reminded me that there have been changes to the DBS very recently and I have not looked at it...as anyone else?

5. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You can do a DBS now and if you pay a little extra it is 'transferable' so you can work in any setting...that was the way I understood it....this thread has reminded me that there have been changes to the DBS very recently and I have not looked at it...as anyone else?
    I spoke with Ofsted and Capita about it the other week and was told that now, you have to pay yearly for the DBS and it is annually updated, so should someone get a clear DBS in 2014, then commit a crime afterwards, it will then get updated the following year. This is now a compulsory part of the DBS what was introduced this Sept.

I think it is excellent and was actually coming to post about it, seeng if it is worth re-doing the DBS so we are checked annually, yes it means a yearly membership, but I think an excellent selling point to parents. Especially those we are about dubious about using CMs

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

So we have to pay for yearly DBS same as the ICO? How much are they going to charge?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The update service is £13 per year and my understanding is that all new DBS applications now have to do this at the time or within 19 days of receiving the certificate.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    The update service is £13 per year and my understanding is that all new DBS applications now have to do this at the time or within 19 days of receiving the certificate.
    Do you have a link to these changes please ...EmmaReed84 or Smiley........... as I have not been able to trace where I got the idea something was different...soooo much happening!

While I understand the benefit of an 'annual check' ...this is going to be costly not just for cms but other providers?
    There goes More affordable Childcare

10. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

This might help you. Hope it copies/pastes properly.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...h%20Ofsted.pdf

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I haven't got any literature on it, I was told over the phone by Ofsted and Capita.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    This might help you. Hope it copies/pastes properly.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...h%20Ofsted.pdf
    Thank you Mum67

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mum67 that's the document I have. As for the £13 per year update service over 3 years it's cheaper than having a new check from scratch. However, this is only relevant to organisations that require checks to be renewed every 3 years, which we do not have to do.

15. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Thanks Mum67 that's the document I have. As for the £13 per year update service over 3 years it's cheaper than having a new check from scratch. However, this is only relevant to organisations that require checks to be renewed every 3 years, which we do not have to do.
    I get what you are saying, but I do think from a parent's point of view, it is a huge plus. I have seen it many times on NMs where parents comment that we only have one CRB then that it is, and there is nothing stopping us getting a cleared CRB then commiting a crime. At least this way, it is a bit more of a comfort for parents knowing people are regularly checked. I know if I was a parent and had a choice between two minders, one who had one CRB for herself and husband or another one who had a yearly updated DBS for the family, I would feel more comfortable with the yearly updated family.

it is only £13 a year, that works out at £1.08 a month or 25p a week! Not a lot for what could potenitally be an amazing selling point for parents!

Sept 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dbs checks

i agree that these checks can ease peace of mind to the parents. BUT it always comes with a cost. It has just cost me £52.10 to register my daughter who is now 16. Although she has grown up with the minded children. And now it's going to cost me £13 every year to renew. Is everyone agreeing with this .

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.i had to apply for a new one and it's not been on stage 4 for nearly 4 weeks.i just annoyed more as they said at the start I can use my DBS to be told weeks later I can't,if I new I cudnt I wud of applied for a new one ages ago with my husbands and it wud of been bk ages ago x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I had DBS checks done on family members before 1 September but nothing was mentioned about updating, so how long are the checks valid for for?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    Hi. I had DBS checks done on family members before 1 September but nothing was mentioned about updating, so how long are the checks valid for for?
    If you had your checks done before the 1st of September your dbs stays "valid" you don't have to renew.

Its only for any cm, assistant, member of the family who applies on/after the 1st September that have to sign up for the yearly update service.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to register an assistant who has a DBS subscribed to the update service as she volunteers in a school. On the EY2 form it says Ofsted will accept an existing DBS certificate if:

-you have already joined the DBS update service and the check you previously completed matches Ofsted's criteria for your role
    Enhanced,
    Child Workforce and
    if your position is based in your own home the original check must have been for a home-based role

or

-you are already known to Ofsted and your new role does not give you greater access to children or increased responsibility and you have not had a break of more than three months between leaving the old post and taking up the new post.

I'm guessing the downfall is in the final part of the first option, that because the position is home-based (though not the assistant's own home) a new certificate is required?!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you FussyElmo (sorry for hi jacking)