Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aaah mrs ofsted turned up..

I had new mum round and the bell went..there she was! No pre warning like last times?!
    Said I was just off out, which I was! And she has re scheduled for 2 weeks away.
    Panic panic! Know my child protection is out of date which I only asked about on here few days ago..what else do I need to have that might have changed?! We have no support anymore where I live so it's all a bit of guesswork..hoping we know of any changes from each other!
    Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't panic you have 2 weeks to sort things out!

Do an online safeguarding update and speak to your LA about getting on the first available course.

Check everything else is in order and finish all the bits you have been ignoring.

There is a free checklist here - https://www.childcare.co.uk/login?re...work-checklist - just log in to get it.

Hugs xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    I had new mum round and the bell went..there she was! No pre warning like last times?!
    Said I was just off out, which I was! And she has re scheduled for 2 weeks away.
    Panic panic! Know my child protection is out of date which I only asked about on here few days ago..what else do I need to have that might have changed?! We have no support anymore where I live so it's all a bit of guesswork..hoping we know of any changes from each other!
    Thanks
    Jelly Baby ...thank you for posting your experience
    You do not specify but we assume this was a scheduled inspection?...not a complaint driven one?

Did you ask the inspector why she did not give you a phone call before to let you know your inspection was due and
    to ask if you were still minding?
    did you have children on roll?

the guidance is for inspectors to call cms a few days before...if inspectors are not following it we need to ensure Ofsted are aware of this
    The reason is to ensure inspectors are not wasting their time just turning up and also to not waste money in such manner

Good luck in your preparation!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

just curious to roughly what area of the country you are in and how long has it been since your last inspection? It's been nearly 4 years since mine and keep wondering if they are going just turn up
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a phone call yesterday checking if I had EY children on roll, what days I open and what times I'm open.

I'm really hoping that I get another call honing down when they are likely to come otherwise its quite possible that they will have a wasted journey as I'm out every morning!
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah im ok now just read some horror stories online!! I will do the safeguarding asap. Thanks for your reply.

Simona yes sorry its a routine inspection..if not overdue. She said that they now just turn up? that she was finding a lot of childminders hard to pin down as they are always out. I would have been if it wasn't for the new mum! I had 1 mindee with me but like you said may have not been working?!

I'm in Devon pixiedust..yes mines about 4 years since the last one..kind of been expecting it though!

mrs tom the lady did schedule a day with me..i did say it was prob wise as I am always out!

Thanks for the replies and help guys x

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Even schools get told the day before!!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    Thanks Sarah im ok now just read some horror stories online!! I will do the safeguarding asap. Thanks for your reply.

Simona yes sorry its a routine inspection..if not overdue. She said that they now just turn up? that she was finding a lot of childminders hard to pin down as they are always out. I would have been if it wasn't for the new mum! I had 1 mindee with me but like you said may have not been working?!

I'm in Devon pixiedust..yes mines about 4 years since the last one..kind of been expecting it though!

mrs tom the lady did schedule a day with me..i did say it was prob wise as I am always out!

Thanks for the replies and help guys x
    Thank you for your further input
    I reported this matter (not yours in particular) to my association this morning to make them aware what is happening
    I will take this further to Ofsted which I did a few months ago and was reassured that for scheduled inspections the inspector has to ring first
    I posted the reply here in the forum but would not be able to identify the specific thread now.

If anything has changed then we need to make sure Ofsted reflect this in their guidance

Thanks again for the information

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona..surely it makes their lives easier?!

Sarah when I log into childcare im not sure where I get that checklist? Most say for gold members which im hoping to sort but am not at the mo?
    Thanks

11. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It's a free one here - https://www.childcare.co.uk/login?re...work-checklist

Just log in
    I log in and it takes me to the home page..what do I click on then?!
    Thanks

14. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Doesn't it take you straight to the document? I am sorry!!

Ok try it this way - log in, go here - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk

Then scroll down and open the document called - Essential Ofsted Paperwork Checklist *FREE*

It's at the bottom of the 'getting ready for your Ofsted inspection' section

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't hate me, can I give you my suggestion why some inspectors are turning up unannounced?

I think they are paid per inspection (tribal?).
    If they go to a complaint triggered inspection locally to you, and that minder is not in, they might just get their list out and see which minders on their list are near by. If they are also not in, they will try another. This could be why they are often arriving after 10.00, as they have tried a few other first.

When I had my last inspection, she said that is she wasn't there by 9.45, she would not be coming, and that I could go out.

Many inspectors travel quite a way to get to childminders, and if they have travelled there (at their own expense I think), they really need to do an inspection. If they do not work they do not get paid.!

Although I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS TYPE OF UNANNOUNCED inspection, this could be a reason why it's happening.

What do other people think?

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Doesn't it take you straight to the document? I am sorry!!

Ok try it this way - log in, go here - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk

Then scroll down and open the document called - Essential Ofsted Paperwork Checklist *FREE*

It's at the bottom of the 'getting ready for your Ofsted inspection' section
    It didn't and I clicked on everything in sight!! BUT thankyou yes I now have it printing..thanks ever so much.

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Please don't hate me, can I give you my suggestion why some inspectors are turning up unannounced?

I think they are paid per inspection (tribal?).
    If they go to a complaint triggered inspection locally to you, and that minder is not in, they might just get their list out and see which minders on their list are near by. If they are also not in, they will try another. This could be why they are often arriving after 10.00, as they have tried a few other first.

When I had my last inspection, she said that is she wasn't there by 9.45, she would not be coming, and that I could go out.

Many inspectors travel quite a way to get to childminders, and if they have travelled there (at their own expense I think), they really need to do an inspection. If they do not work they do not get paid.!

Although I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS TYPE OF UNANNOUNCED inspection, this could be a reason why it's happening.

What do other people think?
    Possibly your right! It was later..i think about 10.45 so?! I wouldn't have actually minded IF I wasn't going out..would have cut a lot of the pre stress out as no time to panic!! but its not always practical!

Simona Guest

Jelly Baby...I have not as yet received a reply to the question of unannounced visits for 'scheduled' inspection
    This is rather strange as the response last time was imminent.

I will wait until next week then write to the new OFSTED National Director for Childminding, Lorna Fitzjohn, and ask her for clarification bearing in mind that the 2nd round of Ofsted Big Conversation is taking place and is worth raising this subject.

K1rstie...you are right that inspectors are paid by inspection, any Tribal or Prospects adverts tells us they have to do a certain number per year, in some adverts 48 per year are mentioned....no reason for an inspector not to plan carefully and ensure she follows the guidance?

Inspectors have a guidance and that guidance is very clear about giving CMs notice...there must be a reason behind that notice so why should inspector ignore it?

We must also remember Tribal and Prospect inspectors are Subcontracted by Ofsted to carry out inspections on Ofsted behalf...Ofsted in turn is accountable to the DfE and funded via tax payers' money.
    I am sure they can claim legitimate expenses such as travel costs but I would question if they claim on these occasions

You are right when you say you don't agree with this type of unannounced inspection because it should not happen
    The only unannounced ones are those 'complaint triggered' when the inspector has a right to enter our settings

If any Cm wants to be kept updated with Ofsted Big Conversation it looks like things are changing there too for inspections triggered by complaints...take a look on their website