Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Urgent advice needed please

On school run this morning I was physically attacked by a lady I know - not bad but my back was turned sorting out my pram with my own child and mindee in it when she did it. I've reported it to the police and they are visiting me tonight to take a statement.
    Children were not harmed and I wasn't hurt just shaken.
    Do I need to report to ofsted?
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I would write up a full incident report and include name and number of police officer, any witnesses and contact details if possible. I would then send this to Ofsted better you do than someone else does in my experience. I would also inform parents and give "what to do for shock" info just in case x x sorry you have had to go through this I hope you get it sorted soon x

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness that is awful! I really hope you are ok :-( I would personally call OFSTED and let them know about it. Have you notified the mindees parents? I am sure they will be fine but I would make the call incase they decide to. Better to do it amd not need to, than not do it when you should have. Also write up an incident form and get parents to sign. Cannot believe the police are coming tonight and didnt right away, she assaulted you! Disgraceful. :big hugs:

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds far worse than it was - she hit me over the head with her umbrella when my back was turned didn't hurt but shocked me. Children were unaware tbh - 18months old.
    Was going to take advice from police tonight before I contacted ofsted - I'm thinking it was a personal incident ?? Am I wrong?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes it was personal but it happened in working hours and mindees were there (even if didn't see/unaware) so as others have said, inform Ofsted to cover yourself. Better to call and not need to than vice versa. It sounds scary, are you ok?

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

What on earth?! Who does that? What a loon!! A few months back I was on school run and a dog ran at me and was trying to get to a baby mindee I had in the buggy, I shielded her but it took two members of the public to get it away from us and back into its house. Wasnt helped by the fact I am petrified of dogs. I called parents of mindee straight away to notify her, she was fine. Called dog warden and he came straight over and went to give the owners a good talking to, I wrote up an incident report and got parents to sign on collection so I had proof they were fully aware. I didnt notify Ofsted as the dog warden chose not to get the police involved, but if he had decided it was a police matter then I would have notified Ofsted just to cover my own back. You have not done anything wrong and it was unprovoked, as above, somebody else might notify them so best if you do it first. They wont do anything, it will be just on file for them to see incase anybody else rings. I dont mean to pry, but my spidey senses are curious as to why she hit you with an umbrella?! Bizarre lady x

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Lady is an ex in law relative. The umbrella - well it was raining!?!
    The lady has been intimidating me and gossiping in the playground of our childrens school for a good few months now. Today I asked her to speak directly to me if she had an issue, so after calling me a few choice names she hit me with the brolly. Still in shock really.
    I want to take advice from police officer before I inform ofsted tho - I'm ok to do this?

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, you need not inform them today, I think we havr fourteen days to report incidents, I may be wrong and somebody may be along to correct me. I would get all info from police anyway so you can write up a detailed incident report. Have you spoken to the school at all and seen if they can help? Just because I had a mum shout and swear at me in the playground once about something that had happened between our children the day before, luckily I had no mindees as they were poorly, but I kept my cool and went and informed the headteacher that I did not expect to be spoken to like that on the school grounds. The head had a word with the other mum and it all settled down, maybe somebody in your school could approach the mum if she has children there also? Xx

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you inform the parent today ?

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

It was off school premises

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss View Post
    Would you inform the parent today ?
    Yes absolutely

xxx

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Mindees parent? Absolutely, I would have done so straight away. But dont panic that you didnt, you would feel awful if she had to find out from somebody else.....you dont know who knows who and there may have been a witness who knows mum, or gossips to a friend who knows mum and puts two and two together, and mindees parent would probably be quite cross you had not told her. Just tell them, it will be fine, you have done nothing wrong, mindee was safe and unaware, but defo write up an incident report and get her to sign it on collection today. Just the basics, date, where you were, what happened, how you dealt with it (phoned police, made sure mindee was ok and safe etc), get mum to sign and date and do an add on after police have been tonight with the outcome x

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for advice. I really can't wait for today to be over - and the school pick up !

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Me being overtop with paperwork ( just how I am) I would also redo my school walk risk assessment and attach copy of incident report with anything you can do to minimise the risk of this happening again ( you involved police/if see said lunatic again will keep distance and detonate your umbrella shield/asked school to intervene etc) x

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine :-) try not to let it shake you too much x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss View Post
    Lady is an ex in law relative. The umbrella - well it was raining!?!
    The lady has been intimidating me and gossiping in the playground of our childrens school for a good few months now. Today I asked her to speak directly to me if she had an issue, so after calling me a few choice names she hit me with the brolly. Still in shock really.
    I want to take advice from police officer before I inform ofsted tho - I'm ok to do this?
    Oh my goodness, what a morning, poor you.

I would definately ensure that you contact ofsted, if you have involved the police then she may well want to get back at you and cause problems.

The problem I can forsee is that you 'asked her to speak directly to you if she had an issue' this could be construed as provoking her....she then did speak directly, albeit unpolitely, but was she likely to? Whilst children are in your care, it was probably not the best time to confront her with a retort like this. A parent may think that you shouldn't have tried to resolve this ongoing family dispute when their child was with you.

I have sympathy with you, the physical attack that followed was not nice, but I just want to point out how someone else might see this incident, given the facts that you have outlined, so that you can word your report appropriately.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Flora Dora - I agree with you completely and feel like a mug with regards to my situation this morning. Unfortunately rock and hard place - the it contact I have with the lady is at the school my daughter attends where I always have one mindee with me. I was fed up with feeling victimised and intimidated, but now wish I had just kept my head down as I has done every day thus far.
    I feel in the wrong, but know I really did no wrong

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Update and more advice please
    Police have been to see me and taken statement and are now visiting other lady to warn her to stay away from me, so hopefully that will be the end of it.
    Police officer said I did not need to inform ofsted??

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry ts has happened I'm 99% sure we have to inform ofsted of any physical attacks/acts of violence that happens to us or on our premises when minded children are present.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Do u know if there is any comeback from reporting these things? Will it trigger a visit for example ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast