Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not ready for Ofsted!

Well... prospects have just rang me to ask about my EYFS children.
    They said Ofsted will need to come from jan 27th to Feb 27th. I'm
    concerned that I haven't done my safeguarding yet. I've been waiting for dates from my LA for the last month, I thought I had until March as that's what I was told when I was registered. But if
    they come next week I won't have done it and then that surely means an
    instant downgrade?

Added to that, I've only had these EYFS children for 3 weeks with xmas
    in between so the only info I have on them is starting points which
    I'm just about to build the learning journey with. I don't feel I've
    got enough information to show them when they come (if it's in the
    next couple of weeks) which I feel could put me as a disadvantage?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Surely you did safeguarding on your childminding training?!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did my CYP0P5 safeguarding was covered, and I have all my policies etc but I understood you were expected to attend a safeguarding course (like pediatric) which I've not been on yet as still waiting for the dates to be released...really panicking!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As far as I know, safeguarding - what course you have to do, how often, etc. is down to your LA, so if it's them that keep changing the dates, then it's probably ok. Do you have a DO you could phone and ask? Or call your safeguarding team to check. Get a name and write down what they said, when you called them etc. to show Ofsted.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to contact my LC but she was as usual unavailable. I guess I'm just going to have to tell ofsted that I am trying to get on a course!

Does anyone know if having so little in terms of obs and planning (due to the children being with me for just 3 weeks) will count against me when ofsted come? All I have is starting points (all about me) and "getting to know you"observations. Not had chance to do any next steps or further planning...

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    I tried to contact my LC but she was as usual unavailable. I guess I'm just going to have to tell ofsted that I am trying to get on a course!

Does anyone know if having so little in terms of obs and planning (due to the children being with me for just 3 weeks) will count against me when ofsted come? All I have is starting points (all about me) and "getting to know you"observations. Not had chance to do any next steps or further planning...
    You could start now, using the parents input and your observations.
    I think 3 weeks is plenty of time to form some obvious next steps, you probably have them in your head anyway when you plan your days activities.
    It will put you in a more favourable light as the teaching and learning aspect is a focus now.

On the day ...You need to be clear about why you have offered the children the activities when the inspector is there, based on what you know so far about them individually. You need to know what benefit their particular play on the day will be to them individually if they free choose activities. So at the very least think really carefully about all your resources and why you have them, so you know the area that the children could develop in if they played with.....

A big part of me is against jumping through hoops for an inspection, but the grading could affect your future business potential and as unfair as it seems, you will be assessed on what the inspector sees that day, so some basic pen portrait about each child based on the info from parents and your obs with a few next steps from that might help the inspector see that you know how to obs, asses and plan.

7. Likes N/A, Maza liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Id been working six weeks when I had my first inspection and got knocked down for lack of evidence. I believe it depends on your inspector tho as mine had a bit of a reputation. Ask for a postponement or to delay it at least until the end of those dates to give you more time.

I keep hearing about a need for upgrading safe guarding but have never been told this so I'm now unaware whether it's something I need

Simona Guest

I am rather confused as I though CMs could not operate unless they did Safeguarding and First Aid first...it is clearly in the EYFS...you must have certificates for these?

Ofsted or whoever have given you nearly a months' notice...is this your first inspection?
    You should have done the initial training at registration so I am confused again as to why you feel unprepared? not sure what LC stands for but someone must be available to support you if you are newly registered?

In terms of obs it does not matter how long the children have been with you...what matters is that you have a system in place to evidence you are noting their 'Starting points' and have the necessary documents to evidence this...and how you would plan for their next steps
    The inspector will be looking at your 'teaching' and how you expect the children to get to EYO

We have input into many of your questions in the EYFS section...read them and you will find them very useful as a starter....and come back if you need more support

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FloraDora you're right, I do have next steps in my head. I'll try putting them into an individual planning sheet for the 2 children this weekend.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simona, yes everyone's input, including yours, to my many questions have really helped me, and I have got some stuff already in place. I'm just worried that ofsted won't see it as enough. As Munch said, cm's have been marked down due to lack of evidence so if I don't have enough evidence in place to suit the particular inspector on the day, I worry it'll work against me.
    I might potentially have a month to prepare and have lots of evidence if ofsted come on the 27th Feb, but I'm concerned they will come as early as this Monday. Which means I'll only have 3 weeks worth of evidence.
    My LC=learning coordinator from my local authority. In terms of safeguarding I didn't need to have attended the course when I got registered but understood I needed the certificate in time for my first graded inspection. Which is what this is. Once again thanks for all your help so far I really appreciate it.

Munch, can you postpone your inspection? I wasn't aware this was allowed?

Simona Guest

This is what the EYFS requires

3.23 Childminders must have completed a local authority approved training course which helps them understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted

Your LA must ensure you do that training as well as First Aid before registration they should not leave you uncovered so you must approach them and question why you are still waiting.....how did you get registered without doing safeguarding is what confuses me?

If you have new children on roll under EYFS then your evidence will be your starting points...what are you trying to find out about them...
    if you get inspected in a month's time you will have enough evidence that you are complying...you said your children have been with you since before Christmas therefore you have evidence...don't panic and put that evidence in your documentation for Ofsted right now....and keep pushing your LA for that training

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

When Ofsted did your pre reg visit they will have checked you had completed your 1st aid, local authority approved childminding course and a safeguarding course. The fact they registered you proves you've done the necessary courses.
    My la like us to complete a more advanced safeguarding course once we're registered. But this isn't compulsory! Are you sure the course you're trying to get booked onto isn't just an advanced version of the one you've already done?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsh3103 View Post
    When Ofsted did your pre reg visit they will have checked you had completed your 1st aid, local authority approved childminding course and a safeguarding course. The fact they registered you proves you've done the necessary courses. My la like us to complete a more advanced safeguarding course once we're registered. But this isn't compulsory! Are you sure the course you're trying to get booked onto isn't just an advanced version of the one you've already done?
    Maybe I did it then? Do you think it was covered in the initial local authority approved childminding course? I definitely didn't go on a seperate safeguarding course like I did first aid though?

Simona, so far I have "all about me" filled in by parents, "getting to know you obs" with some next steps that I filled in earlier, and this weekend im going to do a tracker sheet to record where the children are, and then write another "all about me" in the form of a spider chart to show the areas the children are developing according to what I've learnt and what the parents told me in the first "All about me" -- is this enough/ too much?

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at your certificates do any of them say safeguarding on them?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    Maybe I did it then? Do you think it was covered in the initial local authority approved childminding course? I definitely didn't go on a seperate safeguarding course like I did first aid though?

Simona, so far I have "all about me" filled in by parents, "getting to know you obs" with some next steps that I filled in earlier, and this weekend im going to do a tracker sheet to record where the children are, and then write another "all about me" in the form of a spider chart to show the areas the children are developing according to what I've learnt and what the parents told me in the first "All about me" -- is this enough/ too much?
    Sounds to me as if you are on the right track...well done and relax
    As you look at your paperwork in future you can change things according to you requirements and adapt so not to overwhelm yourself
    Hope you get your certificate sorted ...good luck!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. You and the rest of this forum have been much more helpful than my local authority coordinator!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrsh.. Just looked now and it doesn't say it on my certificates! :-/

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh :-/ ofsted wouldn't jave registered ypu of you hadn't completed the required courses. You should be fine but maybe try and get hold of someone from your la to check. What area are you in? There might be someone on here who could help

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I did my course a whole evening was dedicated to safeguarding. If the same was true for you, then certificate of completion of course plus a list of what was covered should be enough evidence.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    As far as I know, safeguarding - what course you have to do, how often, etc. is down to your LA, so if it's them that keep changing the dates, then it's probably ok. Do you have a DO you could phone and ask? Or call your safeguarding team to check. Get a name and write down what they said, when you called them etc. to show Ofsted.
    No it states that all newly reg cm have to do it it is then renewed as and when LA recommend. My understanding was that like First Aid now it had to be done before your Registration Process was completed.

There are a number of Online courses, Pacey do one I don't think yo have to be a member, I would do that and also ring your local Early Years and make sure you have all the correct phone numbers and procedure for your area.

If you don't have it I suspect you will only attain a Requires Improvement until you can sent Ofsted evidence you have done the training. Then if the overall Grade would have been good at the time had you done the training then they may up your grade.

As far a the children. They will expect to see starting points done from day one and then expect you to know where each child is in terms of their development and how you plan to move them on (next steps) This is what they are looking at in detail after checking all the Statutory Paperwork. They are also very hot on how you share your planning with the parents and how they share with you what the lo is doing at home.

I was on a Training with an Ofsted Inspector just this week on how to be ready for your inspection.

I would advise you to look at 'Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision' Published Oct 2013 Ref no. 120086 available on the Ofsted website. This is the Inspectors Bible and what they will use to inspect you. Have a good look through it and tick off what you already have in place ans see what you need to do.

The other one to look at is 'Requirements for written documents CMs 120339
    Also 'Requirements for the childcare register CMs 080161

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast