urgent advice needed!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default urgent advice needed!

I am due to be visited by Ofsted either tomorrow morning or Friday morning however our boiler has just failed and we have no hot water or heating. British Gas are coming out at 10am tomorrow to repair. Am I correct in thinking that I should cancel the little boy I should be looking after tomorrow until after the repair has been carried out and inform Ofsted that I am not working so they will have to come at a later date?? Any advice appreciated! Thank you :-)

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, sorry, you've not had an answer yet, I'm going to "report " your post to one of our fab mods who may have more experience than me...

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't if you have a kettle then you have hot water and ring his parents and ask for some layers. Do you have a fan heater you could use? I have three tucked away.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to stay open I would write up a risk assessment, this will show that you thought it all through. You need to consider that any alternative heating is in a safe place,( risk of touching it etc.) that it will adequately heat the room to the minimum temperature. That the parents are happy for their child to stay and understand you have no heating.

Also risk assess workmen on the premises.

Fingers crossed that they were coming Friday anyway
    Last edited by Pauline; 03-02-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    Pauline x

5. Likes Rick liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have running water and a loo then I say its fine......you can boil the kettle for warm water if required.....

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had so many problems with my boiler / central heating the last couple of years. We were without a working boiler for 4 days a couple of weeks ago. I have never shut because of it. I have fan and convector heaters which I use to warm up the rooms (cost me a fortune in electric though). I RA everything and decided it would be no hardship to open. Luckily it's not REALLY cold at the moment unlike when we had problems last year when it was freezing outside. My parents were all lending me their spare fan heaters lol. All my parents were fine about it, they would rather I open than they take time off work.

Hope you get your boiler fixed soon

xxxx

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am in Wales and had an inspection when my boiler was condemned and being replaced. We have a room temperature in our minimum standards so I had to prove how I would maintain this and keep the children safe. I moved into one room and had an electric heater behind the fireguard.

I did close for no heating for one day in the snow last year as we had a power cut too!!!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, they didn't turn up in the end! Will be Friday apparently!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Children survived until very recently with no central heating - carry on working I say......(could do the theme The Arctic....just an idea )

13. Likes caz3007 liked this post