Which foods would you class as unhealthy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I dont wish to offend but this healthy eating thing really really annoys me. I'm sure this generation are going to grow up with all sorts of eating disorders as we have all become obsessed with 'heathly eating'. In my opinion children should have a balanced diet but nothing should be classed as 'unhealthy' and i never ban any foods. My only rule is that if they dont eat main meal/sandwich etc then nothing else is offered.
    You haven't offended ziggy. I was just wanting to get an understanding of what foods are thought of as acceptable to give to mindees and whether on occasion it is ok to open a tin of tomato soup rather than making from scratch every time. Just looking for opinions. X

2. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Spaghetti Hoops - Aren't they the same as baked beans but with pasta instead of a pulse! Some even have added omegas

Mind you I used to love them when I was small but think they are rank now. Just not the same.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I home make everything but more to do with me not being able to eat certain things than what would be good to give mindies.

I cook all sauces from scratch occasionally use a powder packet sauce for a slow cooker meal but I then have to take pills to be able to eat it so don't do it often.

Have a bread maker so most day make my own bread.

We bread our own animal so all our meat is fresh and don't think I have ever had nor bought chicken nuggets as my mum wouldn't let me as a child although I bet they taste nice I might have to try.

Don't buy fish fingers but do buy battered fish and fish in bread crumbs which is same thing different shape.

Love making cakes with mindies and happy to give them a bit of choc. Don't think things like that matter if they are getting a balanced diet. Way to much emphasis is put on healthy eating and only eating things without fat, I love a bit of fat in food full fat milk, cream for sauces, butter for iceing , the only way I will eat potatoes is if they are cooked in goose fat. I do cook it all ways for mindies though.

I always think you have to teach children how to eat unhealthy food as if you don't that's when problems start.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha I guess you meant healthy food in that last sentence?
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't give too many foods with sugar - jam is a no no here in sandwiches, we have choices of tuna, cheese, ham, chicken etc.. but they do have a small cake, crisps, rice crackers and all the raw veg each day

I have attached my meal plan too which rotates over 5 weeks... for ideas (the children chose most of these with "Wednesday Junk Day"..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Debbie

7. Likes christine e liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Haha I guess you meant healthy food in that last sentence?
    No I meant things like cake and chocolate as I always think it's when they are totally banned from it that then secret stash of fatty foods occur and they start to crave it, and then binge eat it. But if you teach them how to eat unhealthy food ie you can have a slice of cake but not the whole cake your teaching them how to keep healthy when they start out in the world by themselfs

9. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aha I see ... I wish I'd been taught that haha
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Children need a certain amount of fat (more than adults) which is the reason for full fat milk. My bigger concern is salt content

Sausages l, bacon and pizza are totally fine here. The fat content in pizza is mostly cheese and would always give mindees cheese. Sausages and bacon I only see as unhealthy if fried and I have never fried sausage or bacon in my life

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munch149 View Post
    Children need a certain amount of fat (more than adults) which is the reason for full fat milk. My bigger concern is salt content Sausages l, bacon and pizza are totally fine here. The fat content in pizza is mostly cheese and would always give mindees cheese. Sausages and bacon I only see as unhealthy if fried and I have never fried sausage or bacon in my life
    Oh you really should with fried bread too. Not for mindies just for you

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees tend to come with lunch but have 2 wee ones for tea twice a week. For them I tend to make mince and tatties, stew, chicken (usually made with one of the shaker bags) potatoes and veg etc. if I give pasta I tend to use a jar unless its macaroni cheese then would make the sauce. I would have no qualms in giving them tinned soup or beans etc. xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees have had "home made" lasagne today - I do claim it is home made but I didn't make the 2 bolognese sauces (garlic & tomato + tomato & chunky veg) but to that I added the beef mince, onions, peppers, tin of butter beans and choritzo and made the cheese sauce from scratch. I do tend to use ready made jars as bases but always add extra vegetables and often tin of butter beans, kidney beans, chickpeas or lentils.

I don't ever give sweet fillings in sandwiches but that is just because I prefer savoury fillings. I do occasionally give fish fingers with mashed potato and veg, I do tinned spaghetti or tinned beans for tea with grated cheese on top. I only occasionally do sugar free jelly or angel delight, mostly have tinned custard or tapioca or fromage frais with fruit.

Sometimes have cake or biscuits for tea if the children have been baking.

I wouldn't give beef burgers but only because I don't eat them, sometimes buy the swedish meatballs and serve them with pasta and sauce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12