Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted pre-reg on tuesday :-/

How strict are they when it comes to your house? Do they look in and out of a ducks bottom and are they really as bad as my inspector sounded on the phone? Not nervous at all in the slightest lol :-) xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine wasn't that bad at all. He followed me round the house but didn't look in cupboards or anything. He did check a couple of kitchen cupboards had safety locks on though, and advised me to move my knife block higher. Just use common sense, ie don't have trailing curtain tie backs etc. my inspector didn't even look through my toys!

Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Kaybeaa ! Xx

Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    My pre reg inspection is Wednesday! Eeek! I didn't even think about kitchen cupboards - surely it depends on the age of the child who will be your first. I am more worried about the paperwork I need. I can't seem to get a consisitent answer as to whether I need my liability insurance in place - or just who I will be using. I am really loathe to spend the money on insurance when they could say no! Any thoughts?
    Happy to share the nerves!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry too much- put cupboard locks on kitchen cupboard that has anything dangerous in i.e. washing powder, bleach etc... Also on the fridge and freezer.

You don't need insurance until you have a child and you can't take out an insurance without a registration number ...so you can decide after the visit who you are going with it is instant if you do it online - though I did tell the inspector as it showed I had thought about it and ready to start.

Hope all goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!
    I also have my pre reg visit on Tuesday. SO nervous. I feel like I've been waiting forever yet feel like I'm not ready at all! Really interested to know anyone's past experiences and good luck x

Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Well feedback on my pre-reg visit... although it wasn't the most pleasant experience I will be honest lol!!

SHE WAS SCARY

She arrived, had a look at her id, she came in asked if I would like her to take her shoes off (don't know if I was being tested lol) but I said yes! She made herself comfortable at my table with her laptop and I gave her my policies, risk assessments, certificates and ID to go through whilst I made a brew! Make sure you have business use on your car, she was hot on that but I had all my car docs there to show her.

I sat down twiddling my thumbs for a while as she was typing up notes from my paperwork! Then the 150 questions started and she kept firing them giving me no indication if I was answering correctly and lots of pausing for her to type and me not knowing if I should continue talking or if I had said enough! Questions were mainly about learning and development and what activities for a child under 2 and over 2 will I have covering the 7 areas and lots on safeguarding!

She then had a look around the house and garden, checked I had a fire blanket and cupboard locks!

I have a rubbish/wood pile down the garden which I was worried about but she said just risk assess it and let the kids explore it and find bugs etc. she said nothing is a problem as long as you have a risk assessment!!

She was with me for 3 and a half hours!!!!!! She then said in a stern voice that she has no concerns and she will put me forward for registration and I should get my certificate within the next 2 weeks if Ofsted are happy!

Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness me ... I am scared now!
    I am so not sure over the activity thing. I really am a 'spur of the moment kinda girl So I guess I will have to plan a little more
    I am knowledgable over local group activities - walks etc
    I do loads of creative things with my two children 6yrs and 8yrs
    Have a garden that has endless amounts of toys in it
    Loads of resources - mega blocks, books, crayons etc
    Able to link activities to learning - BUT I can't remember the specific catagories - I keep thinking whats the 'understanding the world type thingy category etc etc
    Brain not really working - may need to take some Kalms I guess
    Thanks for sharing though. It's really helpful.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry84 View Post
    Well feedback on my pre-reg visit... although it wasn't the most pleasant experience I will be honest lol!!

SHE WAS SCARY

She arrived, had a look at her id, she came in asked if I would like her to take her shoes off (don't know if I was being tested lol) but I said yes! She made herself comfortable at my table with her laptop and I gave her my policies, risk assessments, certificates and ID to go through whilst I made a brew! Make sure you have business use on your car, she was hot on that but I had all my car docs there to show her.

I sat down twiddling my thumbs for a while as she was typing up notes from my paperwork! Then the 150 questions started and she kept firing them giving me no indication if I was answering correctly and lots of pausing for her to type and me not knowing if I should continue talking or if I had said enough! Questions were mainly about learning and development and what activities for a child under 2 and over 2 will I have covering the 7 areas and lots on safeguarding!

She then had a look around the house and garden, checked I had a fire blanket and cupboard locks!

I have a rubbish/wood pile down the garden which I was worried about but she said just risk assess it and let the kids explore it and find bugs etc. she said nothing is a problem as long as you have a risk assessment!!

She was with me for 3 and a half hours!!!!!! She then said in a stern voice that she has no concerns and she will put me forward for registration and I should get my certificate within the next 2 weeks if Ofsted are happy!
    Well done Kerry Really pleased for you

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds exactly like my inspection!! The lady was really nice, but very scary, and all those questions seemed to go on for ages what with typing every single word! I had done the pre-reg booklet though and she said before we started I could refer to my notes throughout so it was ok.
    She also wasn't so bothered about everything being locked, just cleaning products all needed to be behind a cupboard lock but to let kids explore and teach them what they're not allowed to do etc, which is what I do with my own 17month old son anyway.
    This was almost 2 weeks ago, I've still not heard anything and I called Ofsted this morning and they didn't even have a record of the inspection visit taking place and when I told them it had happened they said they were waiting on the report, any idea how long this will take? I had the inspection on 28th Nov and I'm sure she said it'd take a week or so for things to go through... not sure when I should start chasing Ofsted again! sorry to hijack your thread, I'll start my own asking the same now too!

Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Good Luck , Hope all goes well x

Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

She told me 14 days from when she sends the report xx

Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry84 View Post
    How strict are they when it comes to your house? Do they look in and out of a ducks bottom and are they really as bad as my inspector sounded on the phone? Not nervous at all in the slightest lol :-) xx
    Well done x
    Last edited by Sarahj2012; 09-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck today xx