Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still don't understand how by changing DM for EYO they have reduced the paperwork? !!!

2. Likes N/A, sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I still don't understand how by changing DM for EYO they have reduced the paperwork? !!!
    Ah!!!..that is a million dollar question!!! but they have not changed DM to EYO ...have they?
    the 2 are totally separate in my view...the first guides us to understand how children develop ...the second allows us to assess their learning...if I am wrong I better go and look for something else to do to fill my time!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Apparently practitioners were complaining that Enabling Environments and Positive Relationships were too much for them! They know all that already - they simply want a list to monitor children's progress - the rest is part of normal everyday good practice.

There were also multiple complaints that Ofsted inspectors were relying too heavily on PR and EE when making their judgements. This meant that actions were not always very sensible...

By taking the burden of PR and EE away we have a much simplified document...

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As I mostly use Sarah's condensed down DM sheets I guess I am already just using Unique Child which is what new Early Years outcomes concentrates on. I still do refer to my full DM though and feel that for new childminders especially, to not be able to read the suggestions in EE & PR may limit the way they do things.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Apparently practitioners were complaining that Enabling Environments and Positive Relationships were too much for them! They know all that already - they simply want a list to monitor children's progress - the rest is part of normal everyday good practice.

There were also multiple complaints that Ofsted inspectors were relying too heavily on PR and EE when making their judgements. This meant that actions were not always very sensible...

BUT EE and PR are mentioning in the overarching principles of the statutory framework.... so doesnt make snese to remove them from DM/EYO....

Oh yeah I remember... its Friday.. and the government dont have to make sense...

7. Likes N/A, Tulip liked this post
    Simona Guest

Sarah...you say apparently...who can possibly complain EE and PR is too much for them?
    is that good enough reason for 'pushing' DM aside anyway ?

Only those with little knowledge of Child development could not 'apparently' make the connection to enabling environment and their positive relationship is a recipe for success for children!"

The DfE has created a 'ticklist' ...I think even Engel says that in her article....children deserve more than that or has EY become something to please those who constantly moan about 'paperwork'?

I also think Engel refers to a consultation...there was only one where we were asked about reduction of paperwork...but it only received 328 replies...considering the total of providers is 96,000 plus ALL the experts...that was poor show, so the DfE gave in to the minority?

Do we know who made the 'complaints to Ofsted'?
    An inspector should rely on EE and PR because they are linked to good practice and progress...I disagree we have a much simplified document....I am concerned if this turns out to be true

I have continued to use DM since printing the EYO...I totally understand them and am able to link the 2....EYO on its own would make no sense to me at all...my view of course!

After 20 years in childcare I am confident I can use the 2 in conjunction, use my own devised version and show the inspector how my children reach their full potential from observation to assessment!
    I am happy to be given 'recommendations' for improvement but I will not accept I can use a ticklist to do my job properly...if so I have thrown away years of studying, researching and building up knowledge

I said previously it seems I had wasted my time emailing Ofsted for clarification.....after reading the article I can say Ofsted said exactly what Engel says: EYO have been replaced in the inspectors' guidelines...that is what Sue Gregory meant on page 4 of her Ofsted news..... but can be used by providers if we want as neither are 'statutory' ...this was also the same reply I received from a very well known EY consultant.

Are we about to accept another ridiculous reform without arguing against it ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Are we about to accept another ridiculous reform without arguing against it ?
    Yes I think so... because a lot of practitioners have welcomed it as a simplification of what they are doing.

We seem to be in the minority in terms of wanting to keep a longer document - especially because of the way Ofsted relied on it during inspections for action points.

Simona Guest

Yes I think so... because a lot of practitioners have welcomed it as a simplification of what they are doing.

We seem to be in the minority in terms of wanting to keep a longer document - especially because of the way Ofsted relied on it during inspections for action points.

This article has not even made the NWorld headlines yet...who are the practitioners who have welcomed it or want to keep it or welcome a shorter document ? by 'we' do you mean cms or anyone else?
    has Ofsted relied on EYO on inspections?...if so where is the evidence?
    all day I have been waiting for one simple comment on this change by the sector and none has been out there yet

I repeat neither DM or EYO are statutory guidance so we can choose what we like to plan and assess learning as Engel says...until I have a very clear message from DfE I am not rushing to change anything...other cms are free to interpret this as they like of course
    Last edited by Simona; 15-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At a training session yesterday I was sitting by a Nursery Manager and her Deputy - I asked "have you started using the Early Years outcomes yet", the manager replied "we have been using them since last September", I said "oh but they have only just been published this month - she had no idea what I was talking about!

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    At a training session yesterday I was sitting by a Nursery Manager and her Deputy - I asked "have you started using the Early Years outcomes yet", the manager replied "we have been using them since last September", I said "oh but they have only just been published this month - she had no idea what I was talking about!
    The EYO have been published a while back...in fact it was Sept 2013... so it is no surprise some are using them and others are totally oblivious of them...this is in the typical DfE style by publishing something and leaving the sector to guess what is the next step!!

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp...s_Outcomes.pdf

They came into the inspections framework from 4 Nov and that coincides with Ofsted revising their framework and telling inspectors to use them and not DM when assessing Outcomes which is exactly what Engel says in her report

My EY team told us about them a month ago they had been published, I has already printed them and had been referring to them already...so nothing new there...the whole thing is a guessing game on how to arrive at best practice

The article has finally made the NWorld headlines but to view it you have to log in to NWorld forum to discuss...any idea why if this is now current practice?

Learning & Development: Development Matters - Next steps | Nursery World.
    Last edited by Simona; 15-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Simona Guest

This is the Nursery World article which explains why DM has been replaced by EYO

www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1219207/learning---development-development-matters---next-steps+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk]Learning & Development: Development Matters - Next steps | Nursery World[/url]
    Just to make everyone aware that if you click on the above link it gets you nowhere....why would that be?

But click on this and you can only access it if you subscribe to NWorld forum...clear as mud and certainly worrying.

Learning & Development: Development Matters - Next steps | Nursery World!

Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us updated Sarah

Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us updated Sarah

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234