Updated info from Ofsted - Nov 2013 - VERY IMPORTANT
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to also thank you Sarah, your notes are so much easier for me to understand and don't leave me feeling dim!

I agree, the dm is an excellent kit and I will be continuing to use it alongside the new document.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I've been having this conversation with someone else at that meeting Cherry. They are going to talk to their DW and take it from there...

The problem is that nobody really knew EYO was THE new document to replace DM until this Ofsted News was published - up until then we were all saying 'wait and see' ... I was saying it with everyone else.

Well we have waited - and we have seen - and Ofsted have pushed us a route we might not want to take - but if we are going to be inspected using EYO then I don't think we have a lot of choice

I've put the new EYO here if anyone wants to grab a copy with some guidance notes

Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding
    Thank you for putting this together.

A question:

We know we should not use EYO (or the old DM etc) as a 'tick list'.

But:

What is the difference between placing a 'tick' next to one of the bullet-pointed statements to show you have evidence of a child learning in that area and placing a 'date' next to a bullet-pointed statement?

What about a tick and a date?

or have I miss understood how you have described how you are going to use EYO, in your guidance notes?

I know this is just how you personally are going to use it, and it is by no means a criticism, but it is interesting to read your interpretation to help us make up our minds about how we are going to do it. Many thanks x

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Glad that I delayed writing up some of my obs for a new child (started last month) as I would have had to re-write everything again! Aarghh!
    This new development does not mean we need to change the way we observe or record our children's progress...development is the what we need to follow at all times via the guidance
    Everyone please look at what the 'outcomes' mean in relation to where we plan and how we get the children to those outcomes

It has been obvious for a while that Ofsted were going to push for the outcomes to replace DM...look at the Foundation Years website when the Outcomes were pushed into 2nd place after the EYFS and DM went down the priority list...everyone dismissed it at the time
    Please remember Ofsted is the DfE's agency...I would hazard a guess this is the DfE new policy...does not anyone think it is strange for this to be announced in an Ofsted News item and not by the DfE itself?
    how many providers will be aware of it and actually action it?

Also please remember the new inspection framework came in on 4 Nov...surely this announcement should have coincided with that and not be buried in a news update few will know about and many not aware for and unprepared for at inspection??

5. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, there's so much to learn and so much to keep up with!

Simona Guest

PLA Under 5 Magazine has confirmed that Ofsted has itself confirmed the Outcomes have replaced the DM

I will try to find out more and come back.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My head is going to explode......

MORE CHANGES......seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

9. Likes lilac_dragon, tashaleee liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to cry too! I'm barely managing to do my day to day paperwork, level 3 coursework (with associated college assessor visits - she's coming on my 'day off' this week) and trying to keep a busy house running without more changes to trawl through

I've a stack of reading to be getting on with, changes I want to make to my practice (after a couple of training courses I've been on) and now this. And don't even mention my SEF that I'm still trying to trawl through or my accounts that need updating. Oh and what's the betting Mrs O will call this week for my first graded inspection?

<feeling very demoralised and sorry for myself>

But I guess that's all part of their master plan??

And breathe...
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrstom View Post
    I'm going to cry too! I'm barely managing to do my day to day paperwork, level 3 coursework (with associated college assessor visits - she's coming on my 'day off' this week) and trying to keep a busy house running without more changes to trawl through

I've a stack of reading to be getting on with, changes I want to make to my practice (after a couple of training courses I've been on) and now this. And don't even mention my SEF that I'm still trying to trawl through or my accounts that need updating. Oh and what's the betting Mrs O will call this week for my first graded inspection?

<feeling very demoralised and sorry for myself>

But I guess that's all part of their master plan??

And breathe...
    There is a flurry of information going on that adds to the confusion about this...some are saying the statement is incorrect, some say Ofsted have confirmed it so I hope Ofsted itself will come out with a clarification, although it is hard to believe that Sue Gregory has made a mistake???
    Time will tell!

In the meantime both DM and EYO are non statutory guidance...continue doing what you have done but keep both documents at the ready for your inspection.

I am keeping my ears open on Twitter where many comments are being posted in case some new info comes up...do not panic just keep up the good work.

As the saying goes 'Do not panic..it is only Ofsted getting in a muddle'!!!

12. Likes cherry liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

There is a flurry of information going on that adds to the confusion about this...some are saying the statement is incorrect, some say Ofsted have confirmed it so I hope Ofsted itself will come out with a clarification, although it is hard to believe that Sue Gregory has made a mistake???
    Time will tell!

In the meantime both DM and EYO are non statutory guidance...continue doing what you have done but keep both documents at the ready for your inspection.

I am keeping my ears open on Twitter where many comments are being posted in case some new info comes up...do not panic just keep up the good work.

As the saying goes 'Do not panic..it is only Ofsted getting in a muddle'!!!
    Thanks Simona

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I need one of those mugs that say that just to keep reminding me everytime I drink my stone cold coffee.

Don't panic...its only Ofsted
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

16. Likes N/A, cherry liked this post
    Simona Guest

Keep your eyes on this website as well and you will see both DM and EYO are there

Foundation Years: From pregnancy to children aged 5

This website is managed by 4 Children as the DfE strategic partner

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I need one of those mugs that say that just to keep reminding me everytime I drink my stone cold coffee.

Don't panic...its only Ofsted
    Brilliant! I'd buy one

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh know here we go again.......all change! Better get printing new paper work.........AGAIN, I've been in this job 24 yrs in Jan. and I've never felt so muddled ,confused and stressed as I do now esp as I have an overdue inspection looming and I'm also finding it hard (no, make that impossible)to' switch off' as my mind now seems to be forever in ' childminding mode'. In years to come we might all meet up in a ' Home for Retired and Deranged Childminders)......... I've booked my place already, anyone else joining me? you get first 'pick of the toys if you book early...............and as I'm soooooo fed up I WILL NOT BE SHARING !!!! xxxxxxxxx

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But thanks to all for the updates xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Scrubbit View Post
    Oh know here we go again.......all change! Better get printing new paper work.........AGAIN, I've been in this job 24 yrs in Jan. and I've never felt so muddled ,confused and stressed as I do now esp as I have an overdue inspection looming and I'm also finding it hard (no, make that impossible)to' switch off' as my mind now seems to be forever in ' childminding mode'. In years to come we might all meet up in a ' Home for Retired and Deranged Childminders)......... I've booked my place already, anyone else joining me? you get first 'pick of the toys if you book early...............and as I'm soooooo fed up I WILL NOT BE SHARING !!!! xxxxxxxxx
    Please do not worry...nothing has changed apart from the fact you have 2 documents instead of one...I am sure Sarah will back me up on this
    Eventually someone will have to clarify but we need to put some pressure on

The Ofsted news also contains other news that is worth looking into

[B]At the end of this term I will be retiring from Ofsted after 13 and a half years. As I look back over the variety of roles I have had in my time here, each of them has been professionally rewarding. None more so than the last year as National Director, Early Childhood. It has without doubt been an extremely busy and at times a challenging period; but one where we have made real headway in our drive to improve early years provision through better inspection and regulation.
    We can be proud of our achievements over the last year, but there is still more to do. As I hand over to the two new national directors, Nick Hudson (Early Education) and Lorna Fitzjohn (Childminding) I wish you all the very best.

1. why the split between CMs and Early Education? what is behind this and I am not the only one asking the question today.

2. Nick Hudson is currently Ofsted Regional Director for Yorkshire and already engaging in the #OBC for that region
    When he takes over as National Director will he have 2 jobs or be replaced?

3. if Nick Hudson is involved in #OBC we should also have Lorna Fitzjohn involved for CMs...my view of course

I also have read that June O'Sullivan ahs met with Nick Hudson...so I hope this will be reported

4. The agency consultation in a few weeks time...am I wrong that it will be under Christmas then and hoping so many will miss it or be under the magic spell and say YES to them??

Not a chance as we will push for as much response as possible on this....so stay tuned
    That mug needs to be bought by the entire sector I think!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted News Nov 2013 is very clear -

‘Inspectors should be aware that Development Matters has been replaced by Early Years Outcomes’

Ofsted | Early years: November 2013

I don't think you can get any more clarification than that really...

The Forum and FB group have already updated members - EYO can be downloaded in a shortened format with some guidance notes from here -

Early Years Outcomes

I think the problem is that it is VERY new news - it's only just filtering out - that's why there is so much confusion...

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah

I made the changes to the development matters print out that I had to reflect the early years outcomes guidance. It was only a few minor wording changes and in some places I crossed out the characterics of effective learning as these had been removed in the early years outcomes document. I saw a summary you had made on one of your posts and went through making the changes. Am I on the right track or do I need to print the early years outcomes in its entirety instead? Thank you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Thank you for putting this together.

A question:

We know we should not use EYO (or the old DM etc) as a 'tick list'.

But:

What is the difference between placing a 'tick' next to one of the bullet-pointed statements to show you have evidence of a child learning in that area and placing a 'date' next to a bullet-pointed statement?

What about a tick and a date?

or have I miss understood how you have described how you are going to use EYO, in your guidance notes?

I know this is just how you personally are going to use it, and it is by no means a criticism, but it is interesting to read your interpretation to help us make up our minds about how we are going to do it. Many thanks x
    This is a really tricky one Moggy and the arguments surrounding it can run and run ...

EYO is not as we know a tick list - but that doesn't stop development officers and other bods telling cms to tick / mark off / highlight every statement

What I do is to date around the statements - not the actual statements - just date when I see children doing similar things to what it says in DM (now EYO of course).

If a child is interested in animals I will date somewhere in UW - the world ... if a child takes an interest in counting I will date somewhere in maths - numbers... etc.

What we have to remember is that we are not solely responsible for children's learning - just because we haven't seen something does not mean they are not doing it elsewhere - and that is what those who like a neatly filled out ticked list tend to forget

Received wisdom is to do your best with the materials you have been given

25. Likes moggy liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I may write something on the actual observation, like linking to outcome...... and date it. I don't really want to change paper work that i'm happy to work with

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if there will be summary assessment sheets available to download for EYO? The ones which have the 7 areas in age bands I.e. All the areas for 8-20 months etc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast