Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre Reg Visit Feedback

I had my registration visit today and am pleased to say it went really well and will soon start minding

Thought I would share some feedback, I gained a good insight into many things from this site so I hope that this may help those of you who are waiting on your visit.

After a weekend of decluttering, cleaning and finishing last bits of paperwork I got into bed at 11:30 ready to face the day ahead. 1am sees me and hubby running around in our underwear cleaning up our poorly 2 year old who suddenly came down with sickness! Not an attractive sight.
    Get back into bed with little one beside me, 2am repeat of previous episode.
    Now, wide awake I know I won't sleep as will be on alert all evening. Cue nerves kicking in....

5am, son wakes up for drink just as I start to fall asleep. Great.
    6am, son gets up,wanders around before getting back in bed to sleep for hour.

7am, my day begins?...

Get son round to my parents, don't want to risk infecting ofsted lady or god forbid have to clean puke off her.

Come home, find I have plenty of time to wait....and wait...nerves build up now so I flick through paperwork before deciding I should know it all by now and put it back down. Visit bathroom for plenty of wees.

Ofsted lady arrives 10 mins late, shows me her I.d and takes shoes off before taking the one seat that has no sun blinding you. Cheers! Shocked me when she looked at pic of my son and said this must be...... Obviously it was on my app form but at time I was thinking,how'd you know that.

I was asked about medical history,medication so told her I had depression few years back. Was asked why? Ermm, it's depression, there is no reason....

Anyway we start off with me showing her my I.d, training certificates plus any previous training that can cross over.
    Then we suddenly get down to business!

I was asked at most 2 questions out of the whole pre reg visit booklet so it sits on my lap, me fiddling with it, looking at it hoping it will give me answers it doesn't hold!

However I must say, the lady was very nice and even chatted to me about the people of today who drink to get drunk every weekend.lol.

She most likely reworded some questions that were in the book but I was expecting word for word so make sure you really focus on what she is saying and then take time to process it through your brain.

I was asked about English as second language, equal ops, how I would manage safety or serious accident in my home. I was not asked about any activity examples for a young child and four year old! Though I was asked how I would promote things, for example fine manipulative skills, self confidence,gross motor skills, language etc.

She didn't look at my risk assessments or policies , she asked me to tell her the gist of a couple of P&P and then we walked round the house with me telling her what I had done to ensure childrens safety etc.

We Went back into living room and inspector asked me another question and got talking about development matters book. She asked if I had the new one so I showed her the 2012 one and was told and showed the new booklet which will take its place, early years outcomes. Inspector wasn't impressed with the new one, much prefers the old one but government say it has to change so there you go.

I was then told that she would be recommending me for registration. Yippee!

She also gave me some lovely feedback saying she didn't need to prompt me, that I came straight out with the answers. I kept talking thinking she didn't have enough from me but she said it was coz I was talking so much she had to keep typing my answers! So maybe leave a break so they can tell you if you have answered enough.

She also said ofsted are focusing more on our evidence of development, how we show children are developing whilst in our care, areas on assessments for parent feedback and also if we give the parents ideas on how to develop their child's next step at home. She said they expect us to carry out the safety,welfare side of things (which is why they are so focused on the evidence ) so if they come and find you don't they will likely shut you down.

So, all in all the visit went very well and the woman was very nice and helpful. It is true when people say don't worry about I too much, you wind yourself up by overthinking it and doing too much work when on the day it won't get a look in etc. cleaning? She barely glances at anything other than the laptop as she is too busy typing your answers, they don't wipe fingers round the sills for dust, they don't use the toilet, they will drink coffee though.

I hope I have made sense, my I internet been down all day so it's not all fresh in my head like it was earlier!

If anyone had any questions, feel free to ask and I will reply as best I can.

X

2. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your feedback and well done

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good of you to share your experience ,thank you. I know all my checks are now done so it is a matter of time till I get the phone call for the pre reg visit. I like to see other peoples experiences to prepare me .

1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say well done

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FAb feedback for our registering members thank you! Well done you

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah and keely.

Good luck with yours keely, I was told that there is a 20 day window from all checks coming back, being registered and your interview info being back with ofsted so get ready!

X

Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your feedback, it really does help. Congratulations you done a fantastic job. x

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant job well done! ... Must get ready!

1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I think i am ready but I am beginning to doubt myself nearer I get ,lol.

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

I was the same, panicked last minute and doubted myself. That's why it's so helpful having support on here, even if you think you have it covered you can bet your life, when it's your turn you will be like everyone else and reconfirm questions and wordings etc.

Just ask if you arent sure, we all have different feedback and the booklet is open to interpretation plus the inspector may not even do half of what you read on here and do something completely different.

X

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and thanks for the feedback - hope your son is feeling better now

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

He is, thank you hector

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the feedback and well done! I have my visit on Wed and was planning on spending tomorrow evening on my hands and knees scrubbing every surface til it shone, lol, but it sounds like I should focus on the things that are really important! Thank you, my hubby will be relieved too

Post Thanks / Like

Right ... It's my turn, had the call. I have a week to prepare. In your opinions what should I really concentrate on doing and what should I not worry about?

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah fantastic news!

Ok well cleaning, everyone says don't worry and obviously you will as you want it looking nice but don't go over the top.
    If there are clothes to be ironed leave them, if there are nic nacs sat on sideboards, leave them.
    As long as it's presentable and safe, I really wouldn't worry too much.

I did whole house and the inspector spent most of time on laptop and a very brief browse round, I opened a door, she would look in etc.Same goes for garden, as long as it's safe and presentable, leave it.

I would make sure you have the following done before visit

*Must have policies and procedures, any extras can come at a later date if needs be.
    Lady didn't even touch or look at mine, just asked to tell her what the gist was of a couple.

*risk assessments - write down everything you have done to make place safe already, revisit it in say 6 months time.
    You can do visual risk assessments but I find it easier to have on paper, one for proof if ever needed and two, so I could remember if asked a question And my mind went blank.
    Lady walked round house with me whilst I told her what I had done already. Over very quickly and didn't end up using paper.lol,

*pre reg booklet - this is what will bug you. You know the answers yet when you do it for your own visit you overthink it etc etc.
    Bullet point brief answers that are quick to find and read. Lady only asked me 2 questions as read in book and I think some were cleverly reworded, not to trip me up or anything. Just make sure you focus fully on what they say, think about it then speak, ask to repeat if necessary. Let them type, don't think you have to keep talking. They will keep typing. They will also prompt you if they need you to be more precise so don't worry.

*have in a folder ready - 2 utility bills, I.d with photo and name on, I.d with any other names ever used such as birth and marriage certificate, any training or qualification certificates, course certificate along with first aid certificate.

If you need anymore help just ask

Good luck!

X

Bels,

Good luck for tomorrow! Tell us how it goes
    Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get inspector to sign a visitors book?? Or is that just for when up and running?

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinbubbles View Post
    Did you get inspector to sign a visitors book?? Or is that just for when up and running?

No, I just checked I.D. I had one but as you aren't started yet it doesn't matter.

X

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this it is so reassuring! I haven't even sent my application yet and I am a nervous wreck lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast