Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fate decided before the inspection

Well where to begin. I have written a little about how upset I got yesterday at my grading inspection but here's for the fuller story.

I had three little ones here, 32 months, 23 months and 14 months. When she arrived the 14 month old was in the cot upstairs asleep, with the listener on.

As she was late arriving she missed us making play dough, which was so much messy fun it was great. All three got stuck right in. Even the older two who don't like getting dirty. Little one was getting incredibly sleepy by this point so I put her up to bed.

On arrival Mrs O introduced herself and proceeded to tell me that as it is my first grading the best I could hope for would be satisfactory. She then told me all of the official things she needed to and cracked on with criticising me and my methods.

I got what felt like a very negative grilling. She doesn't like the software system I use to keep the parents updated. She also doesn't like that all of my P and P's are stored on there and electronicly signed. Apparently she wanted to see each document signed individually. Also every CM that she has inspected, who uses the system, can magically never find the information she wants to see so doesn't like it.

In the end I phoned the help desk for the software company to ask if I could show her them all signed individually. He started quoting the EYFS which was great. Apparently they don't need individual signatures. The parents just need to acknowledge them, so by signing them all with an encompassing statement like on the system is covering the requirement. She then referred to her books and called a colleague for confirmation.

The colleague must have agreed with my method because that was the last I heard of it until the end. She stated that I should have my permissions for emergency medical treatment on paper as a doctor would want to see it if I needed to take a little one to hospital. Also that as all people flap in a medical emergency I should have them on paper as I would be in too much of a state to find them using my log in to the system when I really needed them. Well tell me if I'm wrong but do doctors really want to see a piece of paper before they complete any urgent medical treatment? In my experience they will carry out what is required and let someone else worry about the other stuff. Also I don't know about any of you guys but I don't flap in an emergency. I just crumble afterwards. Had a few emergencies to deal with over the years so I know how I cope.

Next was about why I planned the activity I did that day. Well my response was that the older two don't like being dirty so want to help them along with that. Also as the younger one is only in her third week here I am still getting to know her and don't know how she reacts to things like getting messy. Apparently that means that i haven't included the youngest one in my planning.

Well she looked around my house and was happy that I don't leave little ones alone upstairs as I don't have stair gates up on my stairs. The only mindees that go upstairs are ones that sleep in cots and they get carried both up and down the stairs and are never allowed to walk around up there.

I finally got something positive said to me when I told her that I have always preferred to say positive things to the little ones to boost confidence that to correct behaviour later. All of the little ones that come here have praise lavished on them. She just said 'yes Ive already noted that'.

In her summing up she said she could see how much fun the little ones have here and how good a bond I have with them. Next it was that she had to make some recommendations for me. So what could we come up with? I basically wrote my own for her. She then told me I had achieved a satisfactory but a high one. She didnt actually give me anything to work on, except the things I plan on doing already.

Well after I got over the initial shock and had a brisk walk to collect DS and to after schoolies I got my head together enough to ring ofsted. They told me that the official line is 'it is highly unlikely you will get an outstanding on a first grading inspection but not impossible'.

I have slept on it and still feel as angry, so I think that I will wait to receive the written report and then make a judgement on whether to appeal the decision or make a complaint, or both.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief - how dare this woman make her mind up that you were only going to get satisfactory, before she even crossed the doorstep. I know they don't like giving outstanding on a first inspection, but on the forum it has happened - but what about a "Good" - couldn't she have given you a "low" good instead of a "high" satisfactory - the low and high don't appear on your inspection report - god she sounds a bully. I would put a letter of complaint about the attitude of this inspector before you get your report.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I'm still shaking my head in disbelief - how dare this woman make her mind up that you were only going to get satisfactory, before she even crossed the doorstep. I know they don't like giving outstanding on a first inspection, but on the forum it has happened - but what about a "Good" - couldn't she have given you a "low" good instead of a "high" satisfactory - the low and high don't appear on your inspection report - god she sounds a bully. I would put a letter of complaint about the attitude of this inspector before you get your report.
    Trust me, I'm very tempted. Will think on it over the weekend and see how i feel. I was lucky that one of my assistants was here for the duration so I will have a good chat to her about it too. Just to make sure I wasn't taking it the wrong way. She had me so angry that I want to be sure im not over reacting.

5. Likes loocyloo, hectors house liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Hector's House - I'd complain now. Sounds like she kept disregarding the evidence of good practice you were giving her!

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    I agree with Hector's House - I'd complain now. Sounds like she kept disregarding the evidence of good practice you were giving her!
    Thanks lisbet x

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are times when I wish we could just go back to the old times when we were inspected and deemed fit to childmind without being given a grade. I think the system is very much down to the individual inspector and it is really unfair on some childminders. I am not saying this because of sour grapes I was graded outstanding on my last 2 inspections but another day another inspector and who knows what I would have got.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

that sounds like my inspection. my inspector said the same and made me actually cry, he was hideous and scared the children they sat on my knee crying for 2 hours. i was so upset but tbh 2yrs later i dont really care xxxxx

prereg
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds unfair. I was given a 'good' on my first inspection. x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkling Stars View Post
    This sounds unfair. I was given a 'good' on my first inspection. x
    Im really pleased for you, at least there are some realistic inspectors out there

Just read that back to myself and realised it could be read as sarcastic, please don't take it that way x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh honey Im sorry. I get to a point that all inspectors are different just like every cm is. But they should be singing from the same songbook on the basics.

I have heard about not including the baby in the planning a few times now.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Agreed!

I keep hearing of people being told they will only get satisfactory, absolutely ridiculous!

Post Thanks / Like

I got outstanding on my first inspection and know another childminder who also did. Totally agree with the others though, that a different inspector on a different day probably would have graded me differently. I know a childminding friend who had an inspection a couple of weeks ago and they are devastated by the grade they have been given and plan to appeal.

Cathy x.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Oh honey Im sorry. I get to a point that all inspectors are different just like every cm is. But they should be singing from the same songbook on the basics.

I have heard about not including the baby in the planning a few times now.
    Thing is Fussy shoe couldn't tell me what she wanted me to do to include the baby.

The funny part is the baby got the most out of it and loved every second of the activity. All of the parents loved the pictures they got too. Just wish I had taken a photo of them.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

From what you've said even she can't justify satisfactory. If you were really satisfactory and not good, she'd have easily been able to id some improvement areas herself? I'd get my complaint in early, it will have more credence not to come off the back of your report...if you wait for the report it is easily seen as sour grapes, whereas now you are contesting her opening statement, you can then add to the complaint with specifics about what she writes. Besides, she may be QA'd and told to give you the grade you deserve!!

More hugs!!!

18. Likes loocyloo, lisbet liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

the funny thing is two of my parents are teachers and they are absolutely behind me complaining and trying to get the grade over turned. They are even happy to write letters on my behalf.

The parents I have now are brilliant. The evidence is in their children too, they are brill too x.

In every respect other than the inspector and the family i gave marching orders to last week (which are still hanging around like a bad smell) I have a very happy and contented setting.

20. Likes lisbet, hectors house liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    From what you've said even she can't justify satisfactory. If you were really satisfactory and not good, she'd have easily been able to id some improvement areas herself? I'd get my complaint in early, it will have more credence not to come off the back of your report...if you wait for the report it is easily seen as sour grapes, whereas now you are contesting her opening statement, you can then add to the complaint with specifics about what she writes. Besides, she may be QA'd and told to give you the grade you deserve!!

More hugs!!!
    That makes a lot of sense Messy, thanks. Think I need wibbles balls n just get on with it lol

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    Thing is Fussy shoe couldn't tell me what she wanted me to do to include the baby.

The funny part is the baby got the most out of it and loved every second of the activity. All of the parents loved the pictures they got too. Just wish I had taken a photo of them.
    No they can criticise but cant tell you how to improve

Just remember your parents are happy with you and that's worth a million Ofsted rating.

But appealing is always an option
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    No they can criticise but cant tell you how to improve

Just remember your parents are happy with you and that's worth a million Ofsted rating.

But appealing is always an option
    Thing is Fussy she told me I hadn't included the baby and I asked what would she like to see for me to evidence it as I felt i had included her. She just repeated herself. It was as though I was the first cm she had ever inspected and I was a guinea pig. She was on the phone three times about the policies being signed too. Almost as though she needed to hear three times that the way I was doing it was acceptable.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    There are times when I wish we could just go back to the old times when we were inspected and deemed fit to childmind without being given a grade. I think the system is very much down to the individual inspector and it is really unfair on some childminders. I am not saying this because of sour grapes I was graded outstanding on my last 2 inspections but another day another inspector and who knows what I would have got.
    Absolutely agree with this. I got outstanding at my last inspection and it was totally unexpected and now more and more I think I just got lucky in that the inspector had the same views as me about what childminding should be. I don't do much different to most of the other childminders I know. If its any consolation parents very rarely ask what your Ofsted grading is and will make a decision based on their gut feeling when they meet you and look around your home.

By the way I don't have any of my policies signed by parents - they receive a copy of the most important ones and I expect that they will read them, if they don't then that's up to them.

25. Likes shortstuff, christine e, Joda liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel for you Gail
    I simply don't understand why some inspectors come in and say you can't get more than satisfactory on your first inspection. If you have gained sufficient evidence and your practice is good then it should be awarded good; if it is outstanding then it should be awarded outstanding. So what if it's your first inspection!
    I hope you get the grade you deserve if you choose to appeal

27. Likes shortstuff, hectors house liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast