Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Appeal and complain.....I didn't about the wording on my first inspection and regret it...

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    That is how I was made to feel in fairness.its just gutting really. I know my existing parents arent bothered and are being great but what about future parents as the ones I have now will grow up and not need me so I will ultimately need to fill their places before the next inspection.
    Future parents will not be concerned with grading and will probably not even think about asking. They will be more concerned that you are right for their children and showing them the glowing references your existing parents will write for you stand you in good stead.

3. Likes shortstuff, Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post

Future parents will not be concerned with grading and will probably not even think about asking. They will be more concerned that you are right for their children and showing them the glowing references your existing parents will write for you stand you in good stead.
    Rick_Knight is right!! My families have always wanted me because of my references!! Not many care about what's written on pieces of paper that are just formalities!! So don't worry!! Word of mouth is far better advert for your business than your grading!! I'm not even checked and I've always got work!! (Actually the family I'm with now didn't even know or understand about ofsted, they were more delighted with the rapport their kids had with me!!)

Honestly you'll be fine! xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supernanny86 View Post
    Rick_Knight is right!! My families have always wanted me because of my references!! Not many care about what's written on pieces of paper that are just formalities!! So don't worry!! Word of mouth is far better advert for your business than your grading!! I'm not even checked and I've always got work!! (Actually the family I'm with now didn't even know or understand about ofsted, they were more delighted with the rapport their kids had with me!!)

Honestly you'll be fine! xx
    I'm always right

Yes that's the other good point. A lot of parents don't fully understand what Ofsted are about. They don't all know about the EYFS, one parent wrote in my feedback form that I shouldn't be doing so much paperwork! It's how you are with the children that counts!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as the children are happy, the parents are happy. You are doing all the paperwork correctly. Then who gives two hoots what Ofsted think of you? As people have said before, some inspectors make up their mind before they even step over the threshold, except that most of them have the good manners to keep it to themselves.
    I would say that your inspector was the bullying type. Making you doubt yourself from the outset. I would complain and get a re-inspection with someone with manners!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your grade wont stop parents coming to you. In my opinion they sign because they like and have clicked with you. Apart from the ones who choose cheaper and they really dont care.

Dont you dare go worrying about in a few years time. What matters is now.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was of the understanding that we dont need anything signed for emergency medical treatment, am i wrong??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post

I'm always right

Yes that's the other good point. A lot of parents don't fully understand what Ofsted are about. They don't all know about the EYFS, one parent wrote in my feedback form that I shouldn't be doing so much paperwork! It's how you are with the children that counts!
    Haha!! Exactly!! Right again!!

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Your grade is the opinion of one person who clearly isnt doing her job properly, you will feel better if you take action and complain about her , you probably wont be the last person to , as Im hearing this happening more often

As for parents and whether they would choose you , of course they will , I doubt if any of my parents even know my grade and and Im not sure any of them have even read my report , even though I provide a link to the website on first contact

Dont let this knock your confidence , you might find that , like me the longer you do it for, the less important OFSTEDs opinion of you is
    its the families that count

11. Likes Rick, sskent08 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

you guys are great thanks. I will type something up later today.

Just had another flashback while getting a mindee breakfast. She even wanted to know if I prepare food for the mindees, which in itself I expected her to ask. But she took it a step further and started asking if I charge for it, didn't think they were interested in things like charges?

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    you guys are great thanks. I will type something up later today.

Just had another flashback while getting a mindee breakfast. She even wanted to know if I prepare food for the mindees, which in itself I expected her to ask. But she took it a step further and started asking if I charge for it, didn't think they were interested in things like charges?
    how odd

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing when you complain state that you will never allow that inspector back into your home.

I did this many years ago when i complained, at least you can rest assured that you will never have to sit and listen to her rant on again.

The inspector i am talking about had so many complaints and was barred from so many homes that they moved her working area in the end.
    Last edited by wendywu; 10-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

15. Likes hectors house, Petshrinklj liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear aboutthe way you were treated Gail...i agree with the majority on here if you get a satisfactory then you need to appeal......I was given good on my first inspection as was another minder in my area who had only been minding a few months when inspected....incidentally we were at a meeting last week where we were told gradings are changing soon and satisfactory will be replaced with "requires improvement" and we were also told if you get 2 in a row then you may lose your registration????? has anyone else been told this? .....either way its seems that you should make every attempt to overturn her stupid decision ....good luck x x x x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I really feel for you. It is totally unacceptable for an inspector to decide your grade before arriving on your premises.

You are on a sticky wicket with policies though - the requirements are that safeguarding and complaints procedures are given to parents in writing. You can talk all you want about having them available and signed online but if they are not handed to parents in writing and the inspector decides to pick you up on it you don't have must redress I'm afraid.Apart from that I feel based on what you have said in your post that you have a good case for complaint because the inspector did not abide by their own code of conduct.

My advice is always to contact Ofsted sooner rather than later and say 'I am going to complain who do I need to speak to?' and get the complaint started.

Don't wait - let them know as soon as possible - and you stand more chance of changes being made before your report goes to print.

Hugs xx
    Sarah,......mine are on a CD and parents sign to say they have recieved a copy...will this satisfy Ofsted requirements?? xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlyn View Post
    sorry to hear aboutthe way you were treated Gail...i agree with the majority on here if you get a satisfactory then you need to appeal......I was given good on my first inspection as was another minder in my area who had only been minding a few months when inspected....incidentally we were at a meeting last week where we were told gradings are changing soon and satisfactory will be replaced with "requires improvement" and we were also told if you get 2 in a row then you may lose your registration????? has anyone else been told this? .....either way its seems that you should make every attempt to overturn her stupid decision ....good luck x x x x
    We filled in a questionnaire from Ofsted with a link from the forum about this. I did not know it was a done deal though
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

just called ofsted help desk again as I had a couple of other things to ask, I managed to get the inpectors name from them so now when I complain I can do it properly. I will be typing it up later today and asking my assistant that was here on the day to write something up too.

I feel relieved that you guys feel i might have a case, I know you have only heard one side but I appreciate the comments x.

Also the guy on the help desk pointed out something that I hadnt thought of. If I hurry and get the complaint in sooner rather than later I might save another first time graded inspection going the same way.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlyn View Post
    Sarah,......mine are on a CD and parents sign to say they have recieved a copy...will this satisfy Ofsted requirements?? xx
    I offer mine on a CD or e-mail direct to parents but I always have a file with paper copies available for parents to read. Parents sign a sheet which details all the policies they have been sent saying they have received and read them.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I offer mine on a CD or e-mail direct to parents but I always have a file with paper copies available for parents to read. Parents sign a sheet which details all the policies they have been sent saying they have received and read them.
    This is what I do (except I just email). So is it a requirement to hand them a paper copy of complaints and safeguarding policies as well as that? Do I need them to sign again to say they have received this paper copy or will the signature on the general sheet be enough?

Sorry to ask this on your inspection thread, Gail. I am stressing about mine a bit!
    Last edited by lisbet; 10-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

so sorry to hear. I had exactly the same, I was told as I had only been CM a few months I would only get satisfsactory, as she left she she said I am sure with more experiance you will get good if not outstanding!!!!!!

Well that was years ago and I am waiting to be inspected again

good for you for complaining, I should of done but didin't
    Sarah

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what happened to me. He used the excuse that I had no evidence. I'd only been working 3 weeks and Had only one child that day. So not fair they should have waited to come. Network worker said their is no doubt I should get higher next time. Waiting on another inspection now. Lets hope I get a nicer inspector. My grade has never stopped me getting parents tho so who cares. My parents always have positive comments and the children are happy.

24. Likes sskent08, Ripeberry liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast