Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    I feel for you Gail
    I simply don't understand why some inspectors come in and say you can't get more than satisfactory on your first inspection. If you have gained sufficient evidence and your practice is good then it should be awarded good; if it is outstanding then it should be awarded outstanding. So what if it's your first inspection!
    I hope you get the grade you deserve if you choose to appeal
    Thanks Rick, I will be contacting ofsted again, whether its to complain or appeal, or both. Just need to sleep on it over the weekend to make a better judgement call on which way to go. Oh and also hear the feedback form you wonderful people to help guide me

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this may be one of those situations where how you feel has great bearing and it's irrelevant whether you've over reacted or not. Fact is she made you feel (rude word), & that's not on. I too would sleep on it over the weekend, but only because the end letter of complaint is likely to be more measured and proffesional!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW I've just noticed your grading status says 'a joke'. Good to see you've not lost your sense of humour!

4. Likes shortstuff, christine e, winstonian liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW I've just noticed your grading status says 'a joke'. Good to see you've not lost your sense of humour!
    The LO's ive had here today have helped me to find it again

I think they have sensed my mood as they were all really cuddley today lol

6. Likes Rick, winstonian liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know 2 CM's who got outstanding on a first inspection. One was only a few months ago. They don't like giving out good or outstanding for first inspections because they have to do extra paperwork to justify it to their bosses apparently. It's so unfair when the inspector goes in with such a closed mind. I don't know why they can't reserve judgement until they have seen what you can do. What was your inspectors name? I hope I don't get her. Hope you get what you deserve.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an inspection a few years ago now when I was given a recommendation which was to expand the dressing up clothes available - Hmmmmmm! Funny how that was the only thing that I had said TO HER that I was wanting to do in the near future anyway. Surely this sort of thing should be thought of as reflective practice and be a good thing rather than waiting for someone else to pick me up on it.

I really feel for you and as has been said I would make a complaint to Ofsted about your inspection. email them so they have it in writing. I have heard lots of times about this idea that satisfactory is the only grade you are likely to get in the beginning. Funny when its been in the news that "satisfactory" is apparently NOT satisfactory...... my head is swimming at the moment with all the things I hear and read about childminding. Whatever happened to letting us get on with the job and keep the children happy rather than making us swivel on our heads with the amount of information we are supposed to keep abreast of.

If it wasn't for the fact that the kids are great that I look after I would seriously think of leaving the profession.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I know 2 CM's who got outstanding on a first inspection. One was only a few months ago. They don't like giving out good or outstanding for first inspections because they have to do extra paperwork to justify it to their bosses apparently. It's so unfair when the inspector goes in with such a closed mind. I don't know why they can't reserve judgement until they have seen what you can do. What was your inspectors name? I hope I don't get her. Hope you get what you deserve.
    Are you in the same area then? To be honest I cant remember her name. I was just so angry. I am chilling out more and more.

Just been told that the only mindee i have after collecting DS from school will be going home an hour early tomorrow so weekend starts early for me. All in a week where i need it x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really feel for you. It is totally unacceptable for an inspector to decide your grade before arriving on your premises.

You are on a sticky wicket with policies though - the requirements are that safeguarding and complaints procedures are given to parents in writing. You can talk all you want about having them available and signed online but if they are not handed to parents in writing and the inspector decides to pick you up on it you don't have must redress I'm afraid.

Apart from that I feel based on what you have said in your post that you have a good case for complaint because the inspector did not abide by their own code of conduct.

My advice is always to contact Ofsted sooner rather than later and say 'I am going to complain who do I need to speak to?' and get the complaint started.

Don't wait - let them know as soon as possible - and you stand more chance of changes being made before your report goes to print.

Hugs xx

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes I have just noticed that too - chin up, chest out and be proud of yourself - from your posts on here I detect that you are a really good childminder - don't let the ******** get you down!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I really feel for you. It is totally unacceptable for an inspector to decide your grade before arriving on your premises.

You are on a sticky wicket with policies though - the requirements are that safeguarding and complaints procedures are given to parents in writing. You can talk all you want about having them available and signed online but if they are not handed to parents in writing and the inspector decides to pick you up on it you don't have must redress I'm afraid.

Apart from that I feel based on what you have said in your post that you have a good case for complaint because the inspector did not abide by their own code of conduct.

My advice is always to contact Ofsted sooner rather than later and say 'I am going to complain who do I need to speak to?' and get the complaint started.

Don't wait - let them know as soon as possible - and you stand more chance of changes being made before your report goes to print.

Hugs xx
    Thanks Sarah, she did mention that but my argument is just because it is typed that still counts as written. It states written not on paper. She seemed to accept that too. I take it as written means in readable in words and not verbal, so I argued the case with her.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Yes I have just noticed that too - chin up, chest out and be proud of yourself - from your posts on here I detect that you are a really good childminder - don't let the ******** get you down!
    Thanks Christine, maybe i caught her when she was in a bad mood, but i sense she is probably the same with all first time cm gradings if not all cm's.

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm utterly speechless after hearing about the way you have been treated during your inspection. Definately get a strong draft copy of complaint ready so that it may only need tweaking after you have read your report as you only get a small window of time to submit one. I am overdue mine and as I live in the same town as you I'm really hoping that I don't get her, after all my years doing this job I still dread these inspections, I thought my last one was the toughest I had ever had -now I'm not too sure-lots of hugs to you Gail xx

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

What a let down after all your hard work. Have you had chance to chat with your assistant yet? Hope it all works out for you xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winstonian View Post
    What a let down after all your hard work. Have you had chance to chat with your assistant yet? Hope it all works out for you xx
    I havent had a chance to chat with her yet, i was too stressed on weds before she went home. She might be round here for drinks sat eve or she will be working alongside me on monday so not too long to wait.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds so awful and completely unfair

I would not wait until you get the written report

you already know that you will get satisfactory

I would write and complain to OFSTED about her statement to you about only be able to get a satisfactory , that is entirely untrue

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post
    This sounds so awful and completely unfair

I would not wait until you get the written report

you already know that you will get satisfactory

I would write and complain to OFSTED about her statement to you about only be able to get a satisfactory , that is entirely untrue
    Yes I think a statement like that is so demoralising. It's saying, it doesn't matter how hard you work, how much evidence you show me, how good you are with the children, you cannot be graded higher than the minimum. You could put your heart and soul into the job and get the same grading as someone who 'just does enough'.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think a statement like that is so demoralising. It's saying, it doesn't matter how hard you work, how much evidence you show me, how good you are with the children, you cannot be graded higher than the minimum. You could put your heart and soul into the job and get the same grading as someone who 'just does enough'.
    That is how I was made to feel in fairness.its just gutting really. I know my existing parents arent bothered and are being great but what about future parents as the ones I have now will grow up and not need me so I will ultimately need to fill their places before the next inspection.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post

That is how I was made to feel in fairness.its just gutting really. I know my existing parents arent bothered and are being great but what about future parents as the ones I have now will grow up and not need me so I will ultimately need to fill their places before the next inspection.
    Oh Gail this is so true it's ok now coz parents can see how fab you are but what about your future?! The inspectors need to remember its our lives and living that they decide with out giving us a chance !!! Defiantly see if you can get a better grading you sound like you need it , last day tomorro and an early finish means you can crack open the wine and chill , hope your not too down hearted , it's a real kick in the teeth isn't it ?! hugs

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lubeam View Post
    Oh Gail this is so true it's ok now coz parents can see how fab you are but what about your future?! The inspectors need to remember its our lives and living that they decide with out giving us a chance !!! Defiantly see if you can get a better grading you sound like you need it , last day tomorro and an early finish means you can crack open the wine and chill , hope your not too down hearted , it's a real kick in the teeth isn't it ?! hugs
    It is but I had a vodka when I got in from college last night to take the edge off and Im having a bottle of cider now. Also one of my mindees looked at me and told me she loves me and didn't want to go home with daddy today. while another one clung on to me and cried at go home time. All good in my heart, just need my head to fall in line now x

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad your feeling a bit better still try n get the decision changed just because its not fair to b per judged x

24. Likes shortstuff liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast