Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st inspection

Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st inspection

Where do I begin. I registered almost two years ago but I've only just had my first inspection on account of only just ( January) got my first EYFS child. I have also had a rising 5 since September/October time but when mrs O rang back in February my EYFS child was just in the trial period so she left her to settle.

I mention the above as my reflective practitioner folder (obviously) contains a lot more reflective stuff, training courses, reflective diary entries about practice with older children etc than if I'd just registered in the past few months.

The morning.

Mrs O arrived and showed me her ID, she asked if she'd did my pre-reg visit, which she had. I introduced the two children, one my own, one mindee. I showed her around and when I'm nervous I don't shut up so I gushed about everything we've done and are presently doing and where needed why. She remembered my garden didn't have a lawn last time, weed suppressing material covered it last time on account of organically gardening and the need to kill off weeds before laying the new turf. However my garden looks pristine at the minute as the lawn is only weeks old. Think it was laid over Easter. She then signed my book which I'd left out on the dining room table with every piece of paper work I own, all ordered according to my criteria. Eg risk assessments, safeguarding, policies and procedures and fire book together. Planning and observation including learning journals, daily diaries and floor book together. Then NCMA/Pacey box with children's info, medical book, permissions, registers etc - basically admin. And finally the last pile contained 'working in partnership with parents' which is a file containing a copy of everything I share with parents - information booklet about prices, menus, opening times etc., blank copies of daily diary, policies and procedures that I give to parents( slightly different to my copy as they're smaller print, printed on both sides etc. saving paper, and environment which I mentioned lol) and also the lovely letters/ feedback which I got back from parents.

She commented on how organised it all was. I explained I hadn't completed the ofsted SEF as I didn't like the format and would only be repeating everything that was evidenced before her. However my reflective practitioner folder does include the overview format mrs O had suggested at the pre- reg visit, reflective entries about courses I've attended( what I already did that was good practice, what I had learnt and how this would inform my future practice signed off when completed or ongoing with examples of things done so far). I'd also completed some of the NCMA/ Pacey reflective things. It's a booklet to work through to help with SEF but I just used it as it was to reflect on my setting if it didn't quite fit in any other areas.

Scene set.

I went off to hide out in the sunshine we'd been playing with bubbles before she arrived and had to stop on account of I can't hear the door when out in the garden so we'd came in. My DS wanted to return to the bubbles so that's what we did. I ensured I spoke to the children lots and engaged them in speaking also, repeating back whatever they said. I'm presently doing the Ican training so made a point of ensuring lots of vocabulary was used. Mindee is 14months DS is 2 1/2. We used the chalks outside on the blackboard however, painted the walls with water, planted some seeds, watered the plants and experimented with making sounds/ noises outside before coming in to use the instruments. I talked about the noises, making quiet and loud noises, finding different textures to create sounds etc. we played on the new grass, in ball pool, we counted 123 during activities and matched and talked about colours in the ball pool ( DS's interest is colours at the min as he is just learning them).

Mrs O popped in and out, sometimes to see what it was we were doing as she could hear but wasn't quite sure and other times to ask something. She liked the gardening opportunities, I have raised beds with vegetables and herbs growing. A box of compost with trowels and plant pots, lol they were there by fluke as I'd nowhere to put them but they looked like a deliberate learning opportunity.

Until I get the official report I guess I won't really know what she was impressed by and I'm still nervous that I might not actually get the outstanding on account of it being my first full inspection however I was a primary teacher in my previous life and she did say she'd mention that in her defence of the grade. After all I may be new to childminding but I'm not new to child development, planning and observing, all of which she said she could find no fault with beyond a slight niggle which was to clearly state that the start point within my tracking was the point at which the child started and was filled in with parents. Which I explained it was and did show her where in the learning journal I'd included parental observations/comments about their child's development.

I'm not sure what else to add but feel free to ask?

I had done what I'd read Sarah suggest which was to look at other people's inspection reports to see what they were looking for locally and mrs O seemed big on the outside environment. Evidenced by her other recommendation for me - wind chimes, which are on my wish list and I'd mentioned when we were playing with the musical instruments.

2. Likes TJF, squeely wheely liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done and thanks for your detailed feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for posting this. I have mine any day now for the first time and this has put my mind at rest. I know exactly what to expect. :-)
    Did she ask any specific questions?
    Also, did you go with the flow with the children or include a specific adult led activity too?

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My planning stated we'd be using bubbles. It linked into the Ican babbling babies activities. So lots of speech, copying and turn taking. My own little boy is at that stage of struggling with sharing and turn taking although language stuff was aimed at mindee who is 14months. Other than that I just followed what the children were doing and extended a little. So mindee was interested in sounds outside so we got the instruments out inside creating loud and quiet sounds, things I'd spoke about outside.
    I think the seed planting may have been on the planning or perhaps next steps as mindee likes watering the plants but isn't too keen on touching unfamiliar textures. The bubbles linked into that too. As well as blowing bubbles the messy tray contained bubbles.

Questions. I was asked for some clarification on how parents contributed. So I showed her where that could be found in the learning journals, she'd already seen the daily diary. Other than that I was asked what the signs of abuse are. She said everything else was really clear in all the paperwork I'd given her. Oh and about sign language. She must have seen it mentioned somewhere in my paperwork, planning or reflection. I use the something special magazines as mindee watches it at home and both parents use sign language with her. I had some signs relating to our topic of under the sea up on the display board.