Child ratios xx
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Child ratios xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Child ratios xx

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have just registered with Ofsted, i have two young children myself one is only 8 months old so my ratios are limited to only being allowed one other under 5 but on weekends my husband is home and i wanted to childmind on weekends so wasn't sure whether he could look after our own two while I mind a under one year old or 3 other under 5s is that allowed because i wont be looking after my two but they will be in the house, suppose it would also be like a friend or a visitor coming over with their children would I be going over my ratios then because they are in the house. Help lol xxxxxx

Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya im not an expert but as far as i can see if your dh is going to have sole responsibility for your own two children and will be there with them the whole time you are childminding then i would think you can then have three under five BUT i would check with ofsted as i say im no expert - hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not just register him as an assistant on your books (not with Ofsted) by doing the necessary checks and then look at ratio's in the development matter and I think you can have 6 under 8 each and then you will be covered easily
    Debbie

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

the numbers that you are allowed to care for as far as im aware dont change just because your husband is there

your own children are ALWAYS counted in the numbers , whether they are at school , at grannies or hubby is home

The only way round this would be to register your husband as an assistant

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Why not just register him as an assistant on your books (not with Ofsted) by doing the necessary checks and then look at ratio's in the development matter and I think you can have 6 under 8 each and then you will be covered easily
    Hi Chatterbox

I am new to childminding. Can you please explain to me what you mean by registering an assistant without the need to inform Ofsted. I am very interested to know how this works.

Thanks

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    not sure what you mean by "not with OFSTED"i thought all assistants have to be aproved by OFSTEd

just get hubby registered as assistant,then as long as he is there with you then you can have other children (6 under 8 each if space allows)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a look at this thread. I asked the same question for when my wife has our new baby and is on maternity leave.

Pregnant Wife and Ratios

The post from Sarah is probably the most concise!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys!!! Aw thank u SO much for the replys I actually rang Ofsted and they said that I am completely ok to mind more children if my two are being looked after by someone else (even daddy) they said a lot of childminders actually put their children into nursery or preschool so they can earn more money childminding they said that as long as daddy looks after our own two at all times when I am minding and i meet all the individual needs of the other children and have space for them which i do it is is ok, they said they are only included in my ratios when they are home and in just my responsibility. So confusing isn't it!! I prob won't take on 3 under 5s at a time anyway just a baby under one xxxxxxx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's very interesting as it goes totally against everything I have always being told! I would love to be able to take on another child while my 3yr old is at nursery every morning because by the time he is back another mindee has gone home. This would allow me to take someone on full time which financially would make a huge difference. However as it is such a grey area I havent gone through with it and have only ever granted myself a variation when existing children have changed days.

10. Likes phoenix2010 liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sallynicola View Post
    Hi guys!!! Aw thank u SO much for the replys I actually rang Ofsted and they said that I am completely ok to mind more children if my two are being looked after by someone else (even daddy) they said a lot of childminders actually put their children into nursery or preschool so they can earn more money childminding they said that as long as daddy looks after our own two at all times when I am minding and i meet all the individual needs of the other children and have space for them which i do it is is ok, they said they are only included in my ratios when they are home and in just my responsibility. So confusing isn't it!! I prob won't take on 3 under 5s at a time anyway just a baby under one xxxxxxx
    This contradicts what they have always said

what if your husband is ill , you will have to tell the parents you cant have their children so you can look after your own

I think this just proves that OFSTED really dont give two hoots anymore about all the rules and regulations that they have banged on about over the years , hence why all conditions are now being removed from certificates

To be honest with you I have had friends ring up OFSTED about similar things and it depends what day you ring and who you talk to as to what reply you get

I would advise you get what that person said in writing or you might find yourself coming unstuck

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigwig View Post
    That's very interesting as it goes totally against everything I have always being told! I would love to be able to take on another child while my 3yr old is at nursery every morning because by the time he is back another mindee has gone home. This would allow me to take someone on full time which financially would make a huge difference. However as it is such a grey area I havent gone through with it and have only ever granted myself a variation when existing children have changed days.
    I too have been told I cannot take on another child if my LO is at nursery! I was told that it was in case she was ill, how would I manage etc.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigwig View Post
    doesnt make sense does it , we have always been told our own children always count , whether they are at school , nursery , with granny or dad , it makes no different , I dont think they care what we do anymore to be honest with you

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god really! I wonder what she was talking about then! I'm going to ring back and see if I get the same answer from someone else yes, good idea, and yes get something in writing, she did say it has all changed that's why ratios have been taken off my certificate, I'm so confused and Ofsted don't explain anything to you! She did say I also get a higher expenditure allowance for having two if my own as it restricts my earnings in the week when hubby's at work xxxxx

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

ratios have been taken off certificates , but that doesnt mean that you dont have to stick to them

they are still the same , 6 children under 8 , no more than 3 children to be under 5 and no more than one child to be under 1

you still have to stick to these , even if they are no longer on your certificate

these numbers include your own children

there are exceptions , such as siblings, emergencies and continuation of care , but you cant take on new mindees which will take you over these numbers

I have a 6 year old which means I can have 5 mindees , even when hes at school , at his dads , at my mums , it makes no difference

If you can get it in writing that they are happy for you do do this , then go for it , but dont take the word of someone over they phone , in my experience they dont always know what they are talking about , and if someone reports you and you have no record of that phone conversation then you will be stuck

Good luck