Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: OFSTED Reg Vist

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OFSTED Reg Vist

Hi Guys

I have my registration visit next week and I am a little nervous to say the least!!

The inspector who will be visiting told me that she will be checking my knowledge on "Welfare Requirements" and she will also want examples of different things
    that I would do with the children taking into consideration their age groups! For example for a 0-11 month old baby putting toys out of reach so that they will move
    to get them. I will then have to link this back to the Development Matters booklet!

Can anyone explain
    A) what specifically I might have to tell her about the welfare requirements
    B) If there is a document on here anywhere or that somebody has that will help me with the different things I could do with the children to cover the different areas of development and of course broken down into the different age groups!!

This seems a bit of a massive task to me, and on top of Christmas recovery and all of the cleaning/swotting/ childproofing I have to do over the next week I am more than a little stressed!!

Also very upset with my tutor for telling me I could hold off OFSTED for as long as I wanted until I felt ready for the reg visit!! I thought I could swot until I felt really confident, which is not how I am feeling right now!!

Olease Help!! xxxx

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you filled in the booklet of pre-reg questions? It's purely up to you if you do, but the inspector doesn't look at it and the questions they ask you on the whole tend to follow what's in there. You are allowed to refer to it during your visit, so you can prep something in there about the type of activities you'd provide for the various age groups and put all the statutory welfare requirements in there too. The visit is scary (I had mine last summer and have my 1st graded inspection next week), but they aren't there to catch you out. I felt my inspector was a bit intimidating at first, but once I calmed down, she was actually very helpful.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's the book you need to read through and make sure you can answer -

Ofsted Pre-Registration

Good luck!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

And thanks for the responses yes, I have filled out the booklet (or am in the process of doing so) its the "extras" that she has said that she will also be asking me about that I am concerned about.

A) The Welfare Requirements
    B) Different Tasks for age groups and then make links to DEvelopment Matters Document

I started preparing a task for each age group and each area of development (Broken down into the aspects) and it took ages just to get through just the PSED
    section! Its going to take forever and I don't feel that I will even be able to memorise all the areas of development because she is keeping me so busy preparing
    all this other stuff!!

Really stressed out!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The welfare (safeguarding and welfare) requirements are the statutory requirements which you will find in the EYFS document.

The EYFS contains 3 different sections -

- Assessment requirements

- learning and development requirements

- safeguarding and welfare requirements

You need to read them through and understand what they mean. If you have any problems ask!

You don't need to plan for every aspect - just show that you understand how the areas of learning work.

You might find this document from free resources useful -

Observing Children

Good luck! You'll be fine...

6. Likes dizgrace liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah that was really helpful! I will continue my cleaning/swotting!! LOL!!

xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile FAO Sarah

These are really helpful Sarah - can you just tell me when they say I have to describe the activities and make links back to the Development Matters Doc - should I be preparing an activity that supports the unique Child column of the document?.

Thanks again - your website is great and I hope to be on there a lot spending some money once I am making some!! xxx

9. Likes McKenzie liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The unique child column talks about what a child might be doing / saying at different ages / stages of learning and development. You will notice that the columns overlap - this is because children develop and grow at different rates.

Positive relationships and enabling environments are designed to work alongside unique child and to give you hints, tips and clues for your current and future planning.

Individual planning takes account of children's interests and learning styles - Jane loves wrapping up her dolls in blankets and taking them for a walk in the garden... she might enjoy making a bed for them or washing them.

Now think about what areas of learning Jane is experiencing - Psed - taking care of her dolls, caring for others; Physical - gross motor skills as she wraps the dolls etc - these are all linked to unique child.

Does that make more sense?

Jan'12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Sept '12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dizgrace View Post
    These are really helpful Sarah - can you just tell me when they say I have to describe the activities and make links back to the Development Matters Doc - should I be preparing an activity that supports the unique Child column of the document?.

Thanks again - your website is great and I hope to be on there a lot spending some money once I am making some!! xxx
    You an always speak to your development worker, mine was really helpful and came the day before my inspection

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Luck!

Hi there, just to say that it's really goood to see a thread from someone going through the same thing, I'm just waiting for Ofsted now to get back to me and arrange my pre-reg visit. I hope yours goes / went well. Not really qualified to advise you but one thing I would say is to remember to be yourself, you've gone into childminding for a reason and your enthusiasm and attitutde towards it will help. Best of luck!