Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Actions on reports

On my recent inspection, one of the reasons I was given for not being outstanding (im sure there are many more ) was that I need to provide access to books to babies and toddlers.

I currently have a big wicker basket on the floor in which most of the books are kept. It's about 12inches square and five inches high and I.stand the books in it to be flipped through. It holds about thirty. I then have another forty or so, mainly the more delicate ones, on a low windowledge, and literally hundreds upstairs on bookcases which I rotate. Mrs O saw the basket arrangement but clearly wasn't happy and mentioned a childminder she had.visited.who had bought a floor rack from Ikea which displays 15 to 20 to display books which was better (?)

I realise I have to work on the 'criticisms' in the report but not sure what I'm being asked to do. What do you do?

Should I be making everything accessible to babies rather than a selection? Even my delicate pop ups etc? I have two 3ft floor to ceiling bookcases full of children's books so can't practically do this.

I can't see a book rack on ikeas website, and haven't got wall space for a wall mounted one anyway.

Don't really know what to do.

Why is a book basket not sufficient for little ones?
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Post Thanks / Like

Another bonkers inspector.

Just because it fits in one childminders home, doesn't mean it will fit in yours.

I will also be marked down as like you I have a basket full of books, and have, as you say, the more "delicate" ones out of reach, as younger children will just tear them apart and not being a nursery cannot afford to constantly replace good books.

I have no space available for any type of rack, I have a small house and playroom and it would take up valuable floor space. (I also do not have an IKEA anywhere near me and have tried to order some of the smaller things on line only to find they are not available for home delivery)

It seems the new inspections are throwing up lots of silly points.

Look at challenging her action points, show how you have tried to source the rack and cannot find it, and that you currently have more than enough books available to children and regularly change them around and allow children access to them.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My little ones have access to a few books - about 10 at a time - in a basket on a low shelf.

I rotate them regularly and we sit and read with them every day and when they show an interest.

If I give them more they will get broken and trampled and I would argue that with an inspector.

I suggest you focus on finding out more about a print rich environment so you can discuss it confidently when Ofsted visit next ... treat is as your in-house training/ continuous professional development... make a notebook up with photos and a brief note of all the things you already do and the things you have changed ...

Here's a good website to start you off -

Print-rich Classroom Environment

Hth

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a huge box out of books in my storage unit accessible by my 3 year olds as the 1 year old is not strong enough to move the box lol.
    I make sure the tougher baby books are out all the time for them though the older children help themselves younger ones get a variety by listening all the time at story time, if I had all accessible so many would be eaten torn and I can't stand badly treated books!
    I also have a display of books on a shelf again the 3 year olds can reach and not the 1 year old but I find ones for the babies age they can have within reach relating to my planning topics too. I made sure I explained my reasons for everything I did too lol and explained my methods thoroughly lol.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies. It's a bit confusing because having a print rich environment is one of the things I really focussed on prior to inspection, having seen it mentioned on someone's report here. Babies have access to books on rotation, and I keep continuous provision planning which shows how the books are provided, rotated and why. I tried arguing the point but didn't get far, and didn't really get any clear elaboration on the point. My individual and medium term planning also includes provision of reading materials/books/print.

The other action on weights and measures is equally confusing. Just feeling really disheartened, as if I have to live up to some 'invisible' standards. It feels like the grade was chosen, and the actions were just random.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol scratch that, my report has just been delivered. My action is to create a dedicated attractive book area'.

Can't help but giggle at that. I think I need to buy a shed to put it in.

Ps she has also mentioned the forum in the report. You are all famous

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got moaned at by my do and eys advisor that I had too many books in a box for the children to choose. They recommended no more that 10. I since got a wire bookcase so the books are shown by the front and a few cushions and a ottoman for them to sit on. My inspector loved it

However my actions were to produce a visual timetable and to have enhance my garden area with posters and stuff. Am I stressing over either of them - not in this lifetime
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post

Ps she has also mentioned the forum in the report. You are all famous
    Whooooooo!

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    My little ones have access to a few books - about 10 at a time - in a basket on a low shelf.

I rotate them regularly and we sit and read with them every day and when they show an interest.

If I give them more they will get broken and trampled and I would argue that with an inspector.

I suggest you focus on finding out more about a print rich environment so you can discuss it confidently when Ofsted visit next ... treat is as your in-house training/ continuous professional development... make a notebook up with photos and a brief note of all the things you already do and the things you have changed ...

Here's a good website to start you off -

Print-rich Classroom Environment

Hth
    Thanks for the link Sarah, very interesting.

I have about a dozen books in a see through plastic box on the floor, all of these books are quite sturdy and are rotated weekly. I have a 5ft x 4ft bookcase in my utility room, which is used for messy play, which holds about 400 childrens books to rotate and for ages up to teenage. We have the more "delicate" books rotating now the los are nearly 3 and beginning to respect the books and take more care. The baby has board and cloth books and uses the pop up books when on my lap to supervise and lead him into enjoying but not destroying them.
    I'm afraid my whole family are bookaholics. Each of the 5 bedrooms has bookcases, - BIG ones -so does our sitting room and dining room. 3 of the bedrooms also have bookshelves up the chimney breast wall. We have 3 Kindles in the house which are beginning to groan with uploads. We also use the Library (which we may lose soon). We have a beanbag and a floor cushion to curl up on but to be honest the los prefer to sit on the sofa.