Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grading Inspection Help!

Dear All,

I have only been minding for 2 months and have my grading inspection next week.

I am to say the least a bit behind on my paperwork.

Can anybody gives me some tips about exactly what I should have, I have printed so many different forms off this site and got myself in a real muddle.

I have taken lots of photo's but need to now stick them in scrap books.

I have been generally getting to know children and finding out what they like to do and not done much else which really makes me sound useless I know.

I am using a scrap book for observations and everything really, I put a few sentences in the front about where the children were when they started with me and have printed out the following:

My Play Plan
    the 7 area's of learning and development - a parents guid whichj is in a pocket at the front for parents to look at any time
    My learning and development so I can reference when children do certain things.

My policies and Procedures are up to date and signed by parents to say they have received copies

My Risk assessments are all up to date

I just need a bit of help getting it all together

From a very desperate childminder!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been minding since the beginning of September (but part time so I've been working less than 30 days).

I'm due my inspection any day and so far I have:

* a parent information folder containing my 'welcome pack', parents guide to the EYFS, policies and procedures, permission forms, 'all about me' forms for when little ones start, parental feedback forms, sample contract and a copy of my four weekly rolling menu.

* a risk assessment folder which (apart from RAs) also includes my CRB checks, copies of my home and liability insurance, copy of my vehicle records, ICO registration, an email from my local Environmental Health dept saying that I don't need to register with them, fire risk assessment and evacuation records. I also have the 'safer food, better business for childminders' folder that I am working through.

* a folder with details of all my training and CPD (which needs a bit of evaluation on each training course to date and some sort of order to it!)

* invidual learning journeys for the two children I care for. As they are both part time (2-3 days per week, term time only) they don't have much in them at the moment. They have a nice front cover with a photo of them and a brief introduction to the learning journey and how it is put together (for the parents to read), a copy of the child's 'all about me/individual needs' form that parents completed at the beginning, details of each child's daily routine with me and a document detailing the child's starting points - an assessment of where they are up to in the development matters document and what their next steps are (this I've only completed in the last week or so). I've also got a couple of obs in there and I have also printed off the development matters sections for their age ranges so I can highlight/cross check with the obs and see at a glance where they are up to.

I'm also putting together a two year check for a fictional child (the two I look after are just 12mths old) so I can have something to show that I understand how it works.

Oh and I'm about half way through my SEF.

I've also just done my first ever newsletter (mostly to remind parents to send their little ones in winter coats!) so I've popped a copy of that in my folders.

I'm hoping that when the time comes, everything that the inspector might need will be in one of the these folders so I don't have to scurry upstairs to find something! If I've not done everything, then I've tried my best - I'll obviously be able to show improvement for next time

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalane View Post
    My Play Plan
    I think I need to get some sort of plan down in writing. At the moment we seem to wing it quite a bit - once naps (2 per day), snacks, nappies, meals, school/preschool runs are out of the way then we only have an hour to play! Would be good to get a bit of structure

may12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mrstom

You have so much done and sound sooo organised now I am really scared! I'm going to do so badly!

Kids love coming to me and most cry when they have to go home but this will mean nothing if my paperwork is useless!

You will do brilliantly! just wish I could say the same for myself!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalane View Post
    You have so much done and sound sooo organised now I am really scared! I'm going to do so badly!

Kids love coming to me and most cry when they have to go home but this will mean nothing if my paperwork is useless!

You will do brilliantly! just wish I could say the same for myself!
    I'm only so organised because I'm a filing super-freak (used to be a PA in a former life!). I live for paperwork

The children love coming to you which is the most important thing in the world. I've got loads of paperwork which is probably unneccessary - as long as you've got the statutory bits covered then you'll be great. Ofsted will be able to see that the children are safe, loved, well cared for and are thriving. You don't need loads of folders for that!

Have faith in yourself - you're doing a great job

6. Likes Ballette liked this post
    notts Guest

Hi there, I too am a relatively new childminder and had my first inspection on a child after only having had him for 5 weeks! I know how you feel!

The good news is the inspection wasn't as bad as what I thought it was going to be. It's all around observation and communication now and I was actuallt told to do less paperwork but that's just the way I work, I can't see me changing that.

My inspector, went through all the obvious paperword, obs, risk assess, polices, accident record etc. She paid particular attention to feeback. So my references, questionnaires, 2 minute, bi monthly catch up (a me thing), communication eg menus, newsletter, events etc. What i couldn't demonstrate as I simply having been doing it long enough is how I work with parents to ensure continutity and enhancement of learning in the home (which I will do, in time with reviews of obs etc) She also closely went through planning.

She observed meal time, and activity, free play in all 3 rooms and outdoors. Then we did a joint observation.

I was graded good and chuffed to bits with it based on the lack of experience.

So good luck there! you'll be fine!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

stick all the photos on a couple of pages in the scrapbook and label it 'getting to know FRED' then pick out a couple of activities/ideas and write down what areas they cover and what your plan for the childs next steps are. maybe comment on what the children enjoy doing. maybe ask the parents if they have a few minutes to look at the pictures stuck in and ask if they have any comments which either they or you could write down. (it might be you have a photo of fred putting all the cars in a long line across the room, and mum says 'oh, fred does that at home'. etc )

the first few weeks a child is with me, i don't do much more than take lots of photos, so i can 'see' where child is.

then, whenever a child does something NEW or DIFFERENT, take a photo/write it down, put the areas covered next to it, and your next step. it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. every term i go through the development grid updating with anything new the child is now doing. ( dated so progression can be seen )

xxx

9. Likes mrstom, blue bear liked this post
    Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only had children since Sept but had my graded insp 2 weeks ago. Mine went through all paperwork, had risk ass, fire drill, weekly planning, long term planning, daily checklists, daily diaries and learning journeys. Had done baseline assesments, photos, observations, nexts steps and follow on for next steps but I have been picked up on not sharing enough with parents and not having enough parent input from the beginning. Only had the children 6 weeks at the time, part timers, so I had planned to send books home each half term and we hadnt got to half term yet. So if you havent yet, do something to show parent input, daily diaries wasnt enough!! I got good comments about my childcare and safeguarding etc but only got satisfactory because of parent input and lack of 'rich print' to aid literacy! Good luck, just get parent input!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like