Observsations and planning help please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Observsations and planning help please

Hi, I am really struggling with this area of minding, been minding for so long ( except taking a 3 year break and starting back last oct) am due for my first graded inspection in next month or so and would really like to get this side of things right.

My DO came out last week and said I am writing too much along side photos in mindees learning/observation logs ( which to be honest I actullay enough writing what the picture shows LOL) and that I should be also writing small notes about other things, ie one of my mindees turned on the telly while she was here and oinked asking for peppa pig, DO asked if I ever documented this, No i said as he always does it! So now not only do I have to get pics of mindees, I have to sit and writing in note form more or less everything they do through the day ( when do I get time to just sit with them and play!!!!)

Any way back to the obs and planning.

I observed the other day that child A (18 months), went and took out the diggers and tractors and took them over to child B (28months) and between them they played really nicely for a short time pushing the vechiles between each other ( this was a wow moment as they dont normally play together! Anyway what areas should I be linking it too and how from this do I plan next steps. I am so confussed with all the side of childminding.

Jackie

Registered Childminder since
    june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

oh I struggle too, lets hope someone comes along and helps you,

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First of all do you NOT have to sit and write everything a child does or says down!

You know the children you look after by talking to them, playing alongside them, watching them... who on earth would ever have the time to read it all?

You write wow moments like you have noted in your post and observations linked to photos or things you want to share with parents.

You link them to the Eyfs - the one you have talked about will link somewhere in PSED - making friends.

You then need to think how you can promote their friendship in the future - maybe by introducing sharing games during group play. This is the next step linked to the observation.

Job done

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so starting to believe my DO is a works worth lol. She said I needed to note things down as the children do things through the day, ie like the day my mindeee switched on tv, and when they do things like helping me get snacks ready, or water my plants etc. the other day was writing ups other mindees learning log and filled 5 a4 pages for the 3 days he was here last week

I am even considering doing it on laptop as I am now doing so much more writing lol.

Have my inspection booked for the 5th march, so I will either get told its completely wrong and way too much, or fingers crossed, too much but excellent lol, can always hope

As far as the linking on my first post, I ended up linking it giving boys a quiet area so they can sit together, read them books about others sharing and playing nicely and encourging them with like you said playing games together which involves taking turns:

Thank you