Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default observations and learning journey

Hi all

I have only had my first mindee for 6 weeks and I am trying to get the learning journey in order.

I have been making observations daily on postit notes and linking them in to 6 areas of learning and tracking development.

How often do you do these mini observations and how often do you do a formal written observation with next steps (do you put this in the learning journey also?)

I have been doing my planning for this one child but have more starting next week, does my planning need to be for each individual child or can the planning link to one childs next steps but cater for all childrens development?? Hope that makes sense

Help please, trying to get paperwork sorted as expecting the phonecall off ofsted any day

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I look at the obs / assessment / planning cycle for each child over a month, not a day or week because you need to be standing back a little and considering how the child is progressing and you can't do that easily over a short time period.

So every month I aim to do about 4 short, 1 long and 1 photo observation. I say 'about' because some months not a lot will be happening and other months the child might do lots all at the same time.

I link the child's observations to the Eyfs and think about how I can plan next steps from some of them... ideas for how I can support the child to learn or do more or consolidate new things he has learned.

For over 3s I also have group planning and some of my observations etc are linked into that. Under 3s are welcome to join in, it depends on their interests and what they enjoy doing.

Hth

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah's ebooks really helped me and I love them. Everything u need for learning journey's and fab illustrations too. Defo recommend them xx

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My first few weeks obs for a new starter are used to establish a base line for starting points within each area and so as I can get to know the childs interests and ways of learning. Then I record as and when, usually just a sentence or two and ideas for next steps. Usually a photo in setting album to link too as well.
    These are my only observations, I don't do reams of different types of obs, I put all these notes in childs own file and use daily/weekly to plan activities/set out environment to include ideas from each childs next steps.
    I do a more detailed Learning Journey for children receiving NEF, including more adult led stuff but really it's still just guided/supported play opportunities.
    Good luck with your Ofsted.
    Carol xx