Do i need to plan lots?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    MAY 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Do i need to plan lots?

I only have one child under 5 (just) that i mind. That child is in full time nursery and is with me from the early hours of the morning and sleeps until time to get ready then off to nursery or comes after nursery where we have dinner then its getting ready for bed then bed and parent collects late in the night.
    The two other children are 6 and again after school then home and sometimes overnight on weekends.... but very little time for a full activity as i have a couple of school runs and then fit dinner in and homework/reading.
    A lot of their minded time is spent sleeping or getting ready for bed which leaves little time for planning activities but i don't want to be neglecting anything.
    The under 5 child is exhausted when they come into my care after nursery and i don't want put them in a situation where they are grumpy and make it a negative experience. I generally don't cover the holidays so i wonder if i need to bring more planned activities into their afternoon/evening time?

Also can someone clarify do i need to do obs on all minded children or only those in EYFS?:

Thanks

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I -had- thought that you didn't need to do any planning at all for older children however I read another Ladies Ofsted Report today and it said something like 'Older children can do what they want after school, mainly watching television so miss out on opportunities that planned play would give them'. I can't remember the exact wording - close to that. It said the Childminder planned activities for the older children in the school holidays so the provision for them was good then, but during term time did not do so and they had few learning opportunities.

Penny1959 Guest

Personally I would say you are planning for these children - it is clear they need some relaxation time.

However it would not hurt to have a few planned activities or free choice craft materials available so if the children want to they can do an activity.

I would be tempted to do a questionaire for the parents asking if happy with service you offer and if would like you to do anything else / differently and for the children to ask what they would like to do at yours/ if they like what they do now.

That way you have some evidence that have based your provission on needs of parents and children and have consulted with / worked in partnership with.

Penny

MAY 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that a great idea Penny. I will get some questionnaires done.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pre reg so don't know that much yet.

Maybe you could make a note of how you're feeling at the moment then a few brain storms of how you can turn meal times, getting ready times in to games and learning experiences in themselves pop it in a folder called planning. It would look really good as evaluation and planning without trying to force extra things into your day?

x x x

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also would say that you're meeting the childrens needs. When you do occasional activities take photos so that you have some evidence and no you don't need to do observations for the 6 year olds.