Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default photographs (is it legal)

hi

i was at childminding group today and a cm took a observation photo on her phone< the lady who runs it asked her to delete it as she said it is not right to take photos on a phone and she must use a camara??

does anyone know weither this is correct and the cm was addiment to the point of arguing saying she as a self employed woman who is insured can do so???

thanks

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I don't know but I take photo's of mindee on my I phone all the time, I would be very intrested to know if it's wrong. X

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Children's Centre's now have policies about not using mobile phones to take photo's, although if it was in a closed childminding group and the picture taken was one of her own mindees and it was a genuine ob photo I can't see what the problem was what is the difference between her own phone and her own camera?? Its different in a nursery because they don't want pictures of children leaving the nursery on a member of staff's phone.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our children's centre does not allow any photos to be taken - can't understand why they say no to photos taken on a phone but yes to a camera

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It might be the policy of that particular children's centre ... but it is not illegal.

The DCSF clarified recently that, with parents permission and as long as the childminder is registered with the ICO, it is fine to take photos of children on phones or cameras for learning journeys etc.

Ofsted confirmed this in Feb 2011 -

'Mobile phones may be used in settings, as long as their use is appropriate. The use of a mobile phone must not detract from the quality of supervision and care of children.'

Hth

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi

thanks everyone

it was a childrens center we was at but a closed cm group
    but they said ofsted does not allow the use of phones in thier center due to as said above incase the phone gets lost stolen or pictures are taken out for non center uses this is why the cm argued the case!
    saying well a camera can easly get lost or stolen etc but i will inform her and them to what we as cm can do but again it is down to thier policy and discreation isnt?

thanks again

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes every children's centre makes their own rules so you are right it's at their discretion.

It makes it hard to share a child's fun on an outing with parents if they are not allowing photos though. That's not exactly what 'working with parents' is all about is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Yes every children's centre makes their own rules so you are right it's at their discretion.

It makes it hard to share a child's fun on an outing with parents if they are not allowing photos though. That's not exactly what 'working with parents' is all about is it?
    Yes I agree

Its a shame sometimes you cant just capture the moment

Angel xx

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I attend 2 childminder drop-in groups throught the course of the week at 2 different Children's Centres. They both have a no photo policy, whether it be with mobile phone or camera. Zero tolerance

Drives me crazy I have one little boy who only comes for 5 hours once a week. I go to one of these groups on the day he comes and I miss out on loads of photo opportunities. His JL has hardly any photo's in compared to the others most of his obs are all description only.

I keep going to the groups because the resources are very, very good.
    Buttons xx

Post Thanks / Like

I've not had any problems at our children's centre but maybe they've just not seen me taking photos I would be in the same position as button68 if it wasn't allowed

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local CC have just brought in a policy that no mobiles are to be used for photography - it has caused uproar among some mums, who have never actually used their phone before this was announced and are now boycotting the group which i think is rather petty.

I can understand it must be frustrating not being able to take a photo of the child to use in their learning journey however the way i see it is I am happy that CC are at least trying to do something to safeguard all children in light of all cases we have heard in the news recently of photos being taken in nurseries. Attending a group is only a small aprt of a childminders day so there is plenty of more opportunities to take photos.

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hailee View Post
    Attending a group is only a small aprt of a childminders day so there is plenty of more opportunities to take photos.
    Unless of course you mindee comes just one day a week 9am - 2pm and you attend a group 9:30 until 11. Then go home have lunch, have a snooze then his mum collects him

I think what is causing the upset in our centre is that the ban on the cameras and mobile phones is blanket one. Therefore, it also applies to our 'Childminder Only' group and we all have permissions from the parents and only take photo's of our own mindees

Our Development Worker says that they are in the process of drawing up a new policy that WILL allow childminders with permissions to take photos of thier own children with cameras (not mobiles) but we have been promised this since new year so I'm not holding my breath
    Buttons xx

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

Our children's centre supply a camera for our use during the childminder drop in then print the photos out for us. I don't always remember to ask for them the following week though and they get shredded apparently

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got this from an Ofsted update today - hope it helps clarify Ofsted's position on the matter

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years...-and-childcare

It is right at the bottom of the page in the blue box and clearly states "Mobile Phones"
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

personally i think no photo policies are absolutley ridiculous, i think it comes from people seeing the negative in anything, and personally i wouldn't go to any setting that didn't allow photos to be taken. So what if the phone does get lost, it happens, your house could get broke into and all your photo albums nicked whats the difference, i always make sure i only photo my little ones. I think the worlds gone crazy when I read stuff like this.

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Part of our observation process involves taking photos of the children in our care. The time spent at a group may only be part of the day but it can be the main part for many children. I mind children who are aged one and two and they both nap in the afternoon. Therefore, our morning groups are where I observe them. If I couldn't use my phone to record photographic evidence I would be very cross. I agree that there need to be safeguarding procedures in place but it's the absolute minority that abuse this and are obviously ruining it for the rest of us.
    Mrs.M x

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally only take photo's of my mindees on one designated camera and don't take any on my mobile phone - have put this in my 'photograph policy' for the parents.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see defence it makes.
    On iPhones you can have a "safe" folder for photos which you need a password for. Anyone can get to the photos on a camera.
    IMO a phone is safer - I have a pin to unlock my phone before you can use it and a pin for the secure photo folder. So two pins. Plus I have an app installed which allows me to lock down the phone remotely in case I lose it Whig renders it USELESS to ANYONE.
    I can't do any of this things on my camera.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoe999 View Post
    personally i think no photo policies are absolutley ridiculous, i think it comes from people seeing the negative in anything, and personally i wouldn't go to any setting that didn't allow photos to be taken. So what if the phone does get lost, it happens, your house could get broke into and all your photo albums nicked whats the difference, i always make sure i only photo my little ones. I think the worlds gone crazy when I read stuff like this.
    Totally agree!
    I take photos using my mobile. I have lost my camera!! I think it is in the house somewhere, but haven't seen it for months
    Am I missing something here? What can anyone get from a photo of a child up to their elbows in paint, or doing a puzzle?! I know there was the case of the pre-school, and photos at nappy changing time - but that is NOT what we are talking about here!
    The schools went through a phase of not allowing photos/videos of plays, etc, but i think a lot of them have done a u-turn on that.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

We are having lots of issues with our local childrens center at the moment.
    They are comming up for an ofsted inspection and are stressing big time!

They make us put our mobiles into a lidded box.
    Although I did rebel today and refused because I was expecting an important call.

We have been told that we cannot take photos- but they have provided a camera for us to use.
    they then print and put the photos in a scrap book (not individual ones) and then want us to write the observation next to our kids photo!, or they put photos up on the wall.
    we get the photos - if lucky at the end of term.

But today common sense totally went out of the window when they said that we could not accompany our little ones across the garden to our snack room because the gardeners were tidying up and it was to dangerous!
    they wanted us to stay in the craft room ( where we had just finished making glittery Dilwali cards)
    so much for food hygine -

we did refuse and said that we were responsible for our kids and we would never go anywhere if we had to avoid people we didn't know!
    we had a snack in our usual room....

Rant over

Marian x