New to this - monthly topic web ok for baby?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New to this - monthly topic web ok for baby?

Hi I am new to childminding and have recently started looking after a 8 month old baby as well as having my own 13 month old. I am trying to establish a system that works well for me in respect to the planning/obs. I am thinking along the lines of a topic web based on previous obs of the baby. I know my theme needs to be based on the baby's interests shown. However I am abit confused how in depth I need to go and how regularly I need to do this given how young he is. I have done a basic year plan showing seasons, birthdays, special events etc to bear in mind. Very vague though. I thought I would do a monthly plan - and so a new theme each month based on the previous 4 weeks obs but is this too long should I chose a new theme each week ?

I see some childminders are doing weekly and daily plans is this something I need to do? For obs, I am going to do post its throughout the week and next steps and then more in-depth ones every so often.

Is this a good plan? Please help!!! My head might explode soon!!

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I find specific themes dont work to great for the under 2's - its fine if you have some older ones for the babies to join in in their own way but at 8 months old its more about observing their development and providing toys and experience to enhance that, e.g enjoys banging 2 bricks together - provide other items to bang (pan & spoon, drum etc).
    Enhance CLL with singing and story sessions and get out and about in the community for KUW and PSED.
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou. So would you do a weekly rough plan listing the days mon-fri? Its the planning I cant get my head around. I think I need a little bit of structure/planning in place as thats how I work best!

Also could I concentrate on one nursery ryhme or story with the babies each week (wont be child led really at this stage so would this be ok?) - would obviously read other books etc as well.
    Last edited by Thelongfamily; 13-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.

jumpinjen Guest

A weekly plan with a few ideas of possible next steps would work well as you can't plan exactly what you will do every day with a young baby really... then you can note how baby responded after doing it.

Doing new rhymes every week is lovely.... pick them to suit the baby, does he/she like rocking, clapping, spinning round, touching fingers/toes??

I made a nursery rhyme sack with objects in like a boat and a spider and a mouse etc and we pulled one out and sang the song.... gives baby some choice too....

have you tried introducing some baby signs..... signing 'again' then singing the same rhyme will expand baby's ability to control his/her environment as he/she will eventually learn to ask 'again'

jen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good advice already,
    Treasure baskets are good for lo's and playing with things like lots of shredded paper so they dont just play with the usual plastic toys.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your weekly plan could be simply your routine...

Morning - outing

Lunch time

Afternoon nap

Free play following interests

Music and rhyme time

School pick ups

Free play following interests

Book reading time

Then your individual planning shows...

What I have enjoyed doing today...

What I might like doing tomorrow... and focusses on free play time.

Hth

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a topic web for all my mindees, I add to this throughout the month and when full start a new one. For my part time mindees it can be I only use a new one every 3 months. In the middle I put current interests, or an area of development. Then I add a few activities to develop this. I have been told to date each activity when you do it. For example, an interest in animals, trip to local farm/zoo, a craft, visit library to look at books...... It could be that as soon as you plan a couple of activities the interest changes so I just add this onto my circle in the middle. I know everyone does things differently but this works for me and my DO and Ofsted were all ok with what I was doing. My planning has never been in depth as things change frequently. I think it's just a case of making sure you are doing something and have evidence of following interests. If you need anymore help then let me know. Good Luck x