Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only just got my head round the planning in the last couple of weeks after I got Sarah's e-books (god bless you Sarah)

I have been doing photo obs and do at least 1 or 2 a week per child but the next steps were as far as my written planing went. I have now used Sarah's paper work and have done a monthly group plan for July on minibeasts, and individual weekly plan depending on each child's interests. Realistically is this enough or will ofsted prefer more? I used to plan this much in my head anyway but never wrote it down anywhere.

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jane5 View Post
    I have only just got my head round the planning in the last couple of weeks after I got Sarah's e-books (god bless you Sarah)

I have been doing photo obs and do at least 1 or 2 a week per child but the next steps were as far as my written planing went. I have now used Sarah's paper work and have done a monthly group plan for July on minibeasts, and individual weekly plan depending on each child's interests. Realistically is this enough or will ofsted prefer more? I used to plan this much in my head anyway but never wrote it down anywhere.
    I would have every faith in Sarah's paperwork ideas

You may find in time that you tweak or even completely change what you do - which is excatly what I have done.

Anyway until you want to make changes - trust Sarah she know what she is talking about.

Penny

Penny

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My weekly group planning is a 'week veiw' diary split into am/pm with the activities ive chosen jotted in, then i add anything that was changed, anything additional added, any notes etc.

Is this enough or should i have a more formal document??

(children also have seperate individual planning put in their lj's weekly with the activities chosen specificaly for them and why, their interests, notes for them etc)

Ta

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

is a diary ok for group planning or would a proper document be better?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samkeddy View Post
    a diary is fine... however you want to set it out is fine so long as it works for you.

Keep it for next year and you'll have half your job done for you! You just need to put a different slant on it to meet the needs of the children you are caring for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samkeddy View Post
    A diary is great and a lot easier to refer to/store than lots of sheets of paper.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks people i always need to seek reassurance lol

Thanks x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I am using my calendar on Noble Minder to store/plan all my planning - does this suffice or do I have to have printed plans in a file? I like the way this program is set-out but, as a new childminder, I am worried that Ofsted won't accept me using this as good enough. Is anyone else using a program like this and do they have to do extra??

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't open it my computer is so old it doesn't understand anything these days, can anyone help me please?
    Teacake2

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All, I'd really like to view the doc but for some reason it won't allow me to, does anyone who why? Many thanks, Sarah x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you have a real old version of Word (like me ). You need to download a free convertor and then it will let you open docs written with any version of Word.

xxxx

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea08 View Post
    pritty much the same

i know we are not surpose to use themes but i do a few at times of the yr..

etc
    Wow i love this thread - I've found it really helpful as I am new to all this and looking into what is going to suit me best for observing and planning.

I was just wondering why we are not supposed to use themes? I have not been told that and thought it would be really useful to have a topic of some sort that you could use to explore all the different areas?

Also I wanted to ask Penny if her sheet which combines all the children is adequate - would I also need to use individual planning for each child as well? If you are going to copy the information to the parents does it matter with regards to confidentiality and so on that it has information regarding other children on?

so far I have children booked in over the summer in part-time places and it is hard to plan as i don't know them very well and its only temporary. I sent an information sharing request to the 2 year olds pre-school but got nothing in return!

At the moment the furthest I've got is to make notes in a notepad and reminders to myself in a very brief manner but I'm hoping to improve on that!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you have been in education as long as I have you will find that theories come and go and what is encouraged one year is discouraged the next.

This is what has happened with themes / topics. They were quite the in thing only a few years ago and now some bright spark has said that play should be child-led and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

I imagine that in a few years time it will be noted that children are not learning as much as they could about the world around them and that while they are good at following their interests reception teachers are recognising that they do not have a broad general knowledge... and back themes will come, probably called something slightly different!

Meanwhile if they work for you then use them! I do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12