Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry I am getting more and more confused :( please help

Morning everyone, I really need help with obs and planning

When I first registered I tried lots of different observation sheets but I just couldn't "get it" in the end I decided to use an A4 spiral notebook for each mindee inside I stick post it notes with small obs and date these, I then write up bigger obs and it seems to be taking me ages
    I start with the photo evidence, the date and how old mindee was at the time then It says "what did M do?" I then write usually 6 or 7 lines of what m did.
    Then it says "Links to EYFS" I then link it to the 6 areas of learning with an explanation of why it links to that area (do I need to do this?)

Then "how did the adult support learning?" I then explain what my input was again another 5 or 6 lines.

Then "next steps" I then write in what we will do next.

This was ok when I only had 1 mindee but now starting next week I will have 4

I constantly worry about the obs and don't even get me going on planning I honestly don't know where to start or what it should entail!!!

I feel sooo confused about all this that it a constant nag, I never feel as though I haven't finished my work iyswim and the more I read the more confused and panicky I get

I have tried talking to my co-ordinator but she just says "it's your business, do what you feel comfortable with" THAT DOESN'T HELP

Please can anyone give me advice to get me going on this???

Thank you x x x
    Is it Friday yet?

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am getting more and more confused :( please help

Anyone????? x
    Is it Friday yet?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound like you are doing what I'm doing. At the moment I've only got one 'full-time' mindee, but will soon be having another part-time one and although I've been doing my obs and photos (all the time) I just don't seem to get round to doing the linking and next steps

As long as you are doing Obs then that is good, so is the photo evidence.
    Maybe cut down on the linking to the more 'interesting' obs but that is difficult I know as they are ALL interesting

My excuse is that I've run out of EYFS 6 area of learning stickers, but some are on order and then I'll have to do it.

My planning just carries on from the ob itself and could be as simple as "J played with the water tray today" Next step could be "Introduce bubbles to the water".
    You don't need to write a whole essay, just a couple of lines.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, its difficult as mrs ofsted doesnt say just how much info she wants and then on inspections say something different..

you can use any system that suits you hun and it sounds good but again a lot of work..

i too am doing too much because am worried of missing something and then getting pulled up for it.

our LA are working on a profile book not just for the pre-school and nurseries but from birth to 5 and therefore all settings working from the same book and system.. eyfs

until this is ready we are all doing obs differently and in different styles so to pass on this information to new settings as child moves on its sometimes hard to understand ...

keep up the good work after all obs are for you to track that a child is following his development and no red flags appear where he needs additional needs either behind or advanced.

all the best with it x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing far too much when I first started and now I have cut back a bit and it is much simpler and easier. I thoroughly recommend investing in Sarah's e books - they really do help lots and I think I'd be drowning in a sea of meaningless paperwork by now if I hadn't bought them!
    Francine X

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't do as much as you I write the obs down and then link to the eyfs and next steps but nothing about adult help and its gone down ok so far
    Paula

Penny1959 Guest

It sounds like you are doing far too much and you are right once number of mindees pick up will not be able keep up.

I think you could drop a lot of the linking to areas of learing and the next steps - how about a half term review when you look at all your evidence (which sounds fab) and pick the most suitable one for each area of learning (otherwise can end up with hundreds for some areas of learning ) and then just do a next steps (again each half term when looked at areas covered and areas to be developed)

Most of us start by doing too much and over time evaluate and change so becomes possible rather than impossible to keep up to date.

Penny

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only write the adult support bit and an evaluation if it is a specific planned activity. This is once a week, for other obs I usually link it to one main area under the ages and a brief sentence, I then put the other areas it links to but only like pd, cll etc....

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As Penny said you don't need next steps for everything, but they could be as simple as doing the activity again, or more time for doing own zips if you've noted that the child is trying to do this......

june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems everyone has different ways to do this and does not seem there is a right or wrong way, i think you have to be sensible and work out how much time you have to do this... for me i have my own two young children to look after and a house and husband... its tricky to fit it all in sometimes. Generally every afternoon about an hour before my two mindees go home, i fill in their journal for the day, i have a print out of the eyfs areas of learning in the back of each journal and have colour coded each group, then in the journal i just write for example in orange for PD next to anything thats to do with physical development, then at the end of the week, i get my planning sheet out and write in what we've done for the week generally, for each child, how it went, and if necessary a next step. I was recommended to do it this way by a lady from childminding support as she said its almost impossible to plan for such young children and with all the best interests at heart even if you do you can bet your bottom dollor it wont come off!!

Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm slowly but surely finding my own way of working and now I do the following:

1. Fill out Daily Diary.
    2. Take photos and if poss write quick post it note obs 2-4per week.
    3. Only do the longer Observations once a term and off the cuff with something the child is interested in (i.e playing with Toy Library borrowed cutting food and teaset at garden table) which works better than planning activities for the under 3's.
    4. Try and pick up each child's EYFS age appropriate chart as often as poss and write a small comment and date next to the area I believe they have achieved. At the end of a 6-7 week term I place this in the Learning Journey and take a copy to continue with the next term in a different colour.
    5. I print, stick and write descriptions under photos/add artwork once a week. At end of 6 weeks I go through the LJ and write in EYFS link and sub-heading link - no more. The chart is attached to the LJ so the parents can refer to that (if they feel it necessary!) to read the more detailed descriptions. If I have photos of next steps ideas I write "Next steps..." in the LJ.
    6. On my weekly planner I add at the bottom "Evaluation notes" for each child - quickly hand write what has worked/hasn't worked. Then below I write "Next Steps" notes. So under "Evaluation" "X loved playing with the dinosaurs". Next Steps "Put dinosaurs in water table with bubbly water".

This way I'm covering the all important "Evaluation" on planning/child led play together with "Next Steps" ideas for the following week.

I then fill out my next week's planner with the last week's in front of me so planning from my quick notes. On the weekly planner I add snacks/lunch and dinner to save doing separate menu planners. Also adding 1 or 2 adult led activities for each child e.g counting to 10/feelings/autumn but obviously all mindees present can join in these if they feel like. I keep planners in a separate folder - mainly for OFSTED to view!

Not sure if this helps or not, but finally feel I have things straight in my head!

Natx

May2000
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel!!! x

june 92
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Can anyone tell me where we can buy some of those colour coded stickers relating to the EYFS please

06 2010
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They are on the NCMA website shop

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mozzie2u View Post
    I'm slowly but surely finding my own way of working and now I do the following:
    Not sure if this helps or not, but finally feel I have things straight in my head!

Natx
    That is so great - I hope you don't mind - I've borrowed this to base my system on. I had all the right sheets and forms etc just wasn't sure how to put it all together. Thank you.

~Chelle~ Guest

Are you with the NCMA?? They have an Observations and Planning course, I start mine tonight.

Thought I would do it as Mrs O said I was doing too much!! She also said that I need to clearly mark the next steps, even though I mentioned it in my observations.

Will let you know how it goes x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I got talking to a childminder last week (she's outstanding). She photographs an ob in the morning and next steps is followed up in the afternoon activity, so all on the same day. I struggle so much with the whole of EYFS but this seemed a good way of doing it

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Chelle~ View Post
    Are you with the NCMA?? They have an Observations and Planning course, I start mine tonight.

Thought I would do it as Mrs O said I was doing too much!! She also said that I need to clearly mark the next steps, even though I mentioned it in my observations.

Will let you know how it goes x
    how and where did you hear about the course?x
    xxxxxx

~Chelle~ Guest

The NCMA send me out course details every now and then and ask if you want to do them. Are you a member?

The course so far was not very informative, basically what I already knew but we did only cover observations. Assessment and planning is is a couple of weeks x