I still cant Plan!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I still cant Plan!!

I still cant work out how to do planning, I really dont know how to sort this problem out....

I really cant see a way forward with this Does anyone else have trouble or is it just stupid old me?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I still cant Plan!!

hugs huni, i struggle with planning too

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

no not just you ive not got any planning down on paper yet, just cant get my head around it

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I sometimes think I have it sorted in my head, then when it comes to writing it down it just comes out a jumbled mess and I get even more confused
    Last edited by nell57; 25-04-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Helen xXx

Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

All I do is write down what the children are interested in on a sheet of paper under each day along with if we plan to go toddlers or park then think about what you can 'play' including their interests, obs on that, next steps is on plan for following week, if they still are interested. I don't know if I am doing it right but it makes sense to me. Ofsted are coming Tuesday to talk to me about a variation I requested, I 'm going to show her and ask if it's ok .

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i struggle too..i have done lots of plans for 2x1yr olds and a 2 and a half year old....

and up to now they have either been ill or the weather has been so lovely all they want to do is toddle outside with toys!

So i plan next steps. I take an observation and use that to do next steps....both my little LOs have developed an obsession with balls and boxes. they both will spend all day just taking them out and putting them back in. I have identified a developing schema so i have planned to make available other sizes of boxes. Boxes with lids. Bags- some with handles others with elastic closures etc. I have a pasta a rice tray so i get them up to that and give them little pots to fill up too.

I have a weekly plan but it is my routine for all of them . I have activity 1, 2, etc for sessions but these are not filled in until i have my next steps.

eg i may get the paints ou

I know LO#1 is 2.5 so she is into painting pictures and printing
    I will put on that activity sheet what she did and link it to the EYFS

LO #2 is 11 months and loves bashing in the paint. i might try him with a big brush- link to EYFS
    LO#3 hates getting his hands messy with paint so i might put him some soap suds on a tray and have a cloth ready and i will take a pic of him doing this to show mummy.- link to eyfs

i think i am rambling and maybe i have the wrong end of the stick as i only started minding in february

mandy xxxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not alone. I know this will not make you feel any better. I'm sure you are very good in different areas and you are not stupid just because you can't plan.
    If you like you can pm and may be able to help with some ideas.

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

no your not stupid or alone i can never get it to read right when i write things down

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

after nearly 14yrs I still haven't got the hang of planning....I do it all in my head and can give reasons for why I am doing various activities for different children etc but it is the actual writing it down that gets me.......beginning to think I may not bother....I do obs and next steps and follow up with obs on those next steps and write obs on every "planned in my head " activity that I do...I have loads of evidence to show what I am doing and know I cover all areas of learning.....I just find sitting down and writing planning for each child for the next week difficult so keep putting it off
    gosh what a ramble.....hopefully some of you feel like me

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonia ann View Post
    after nearly 14yrs I still haven't got the hang of planning....I do it all in my head and can give reasons for why I am doing various activities for different children etc but it is the actual writing it down that gets me.......beginning to think I may not bother....I do obs and next steps and follow up with obs on those next steps and write obs on every "planned in my head " activity that I do...I have loads of evidence to show what I am doing and know I cover all areas of learning.....I just find sitting down and writing planning for each child for the next week difficult so keep putting it off
    gosh what a ramble.....hopefully some of you feel like me
    Thats just how I feel

15 years + minding, 12 years as a nanny and well adjusted, happy, healthy children (and all at a good level when they start school) been through my hands - lots still in contact. Must be doing something right!

Just writing for writings sake, but I am doing my best
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

I have trouble too - in fact it was what I was doing - but got distracted and came on here!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    Thats just how I feel

15 years + minding, 12 years as a nanny and well adjusted, happy, healthy children (and all at a good level when they start school) been through my hands - lots still in contact. Must be doing something right!

Just writing for writings sake, but I am doing my best
    exactly...I have been working in childcare in one form or another since 1975 and when not working have brought up 4 lovely bright well adjusted children....I am not going to fret over my lack of written plans ....well not much anyway

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum26 View Post
    I have trouble too - in fact it was what I was doing - but got distracted and came on here!
    same here lol.
    Julie X X

mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding me to the list of struggling too!!! I just struggle when people have a long term plan for the year?! Is that just a monthly view with dates in for festivals etc or actual planned dates?
    At the mo ive just gor a sheet i put up on a monday morning with the days on it and what ive planned such as water play monday, painting tues etc... i dont plan these in great detail like ive seen others do such what equioment i need, safety to consider etc as all this is in my continious provision and i feel is writting for writting sake. Not sure if wrong or right thou!!
    Donna x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Individual planning

Choose a child...

What is s/he interested in at the moment?

What might s/he like to do next to follow those interests?

So... John is really into the blocks and is building little bridges and walls.

Would he enjoy making a wall for Humpty do you think? Then singing the song? Then doing more Humpty activities?

That's your planning!

Group planning

Think about what the group of children are enjoying just now.

Mine are watching flowers grow on the school run and our walks into town.

Next week is Arbor Day which is a tree celebration day.

To extend their interests in flowers growing we will look at buds on trees and do lots of things exploring trees...

PSED - we all grow, trees grow, seeds grow and we grow... think about us as babies, find new growth;

Cll - read 'The tiny seed' by Eric Carle, look at baby books and talk about how we have grown and changed;

Keep it simple, don't overcomplicate.

Does that help?

fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah YOU ARE BRILL

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Individual planning

Choose a child...

What is s/he interested in at the moment?

What might s/he like to do next to follow those interests?

So... John is really into the blocks and is building little bridges and walls.

Would he enjoy making a wall for Humpty do you think? Then singing the song? Then doing more Humpty activities?

That's your planning!

Group planning

Think about what the group of children are enjoying just now.

Mine are watching flowers grow on the school run and our walks into town.

Next week is Arbor Day which is a tree celebration day.

To extend their interests in flowers growing we will look at buds on trees and do lots of things exploring trees...

PSED - we all grow, trees grow, seeds grow and we grow... think about us as babies, find new growth;

Cll - read 'The tiny seed' by Eric Carle, look at baby books and talk about how we have grown and changed;

Keep it simple, don't overcomplicate.

Does that help?
    More then you can imagine.....Thank you

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually do one or two "proper" observations a month. I do the observation with a photo usually, then the assessment i.e. what they're actually doing, can do and the follow up with planning.

For instance, I have an 18 month old who has suddenly shown an interest in trying to make marks using crayons, chalks. I just put that "I plan to help x extend this interest by providing materials such as crayons, the chalk board, drawing on the patio with chalk and using the Thomas the Tank Engine magic writing board.

For a 3 and a half year old who helped plant some seedlings at a childrens centre the other day I have put for the planning that I plan to plant some sunflowers and my yearly splurge of planting some geraniums, busy lizzies etc. in pots in the garden! I then usually show some photos of the kids watering the plants as they start to break through.

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep another one here has trouble planinng.

I have one little one who started yesterday and is still very much at the clingy wingy stage, so really not sure as to what he is into.
    Nicki xxx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonia ann View Post
    exactly...I have been working in childcare in one form or another since 1975 and when not working have brought up 4 lovely bright well adjusted children....I am not going to fret over my lack of written plans ....well not much anyway

Have Ofsted ever marked you down or said anything becasue of lack of planning?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast