Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ofsted and themes

they look great kerrie, thanks for sharing

Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    they are really good kerrie. If you want to cut down on writing even more then use the NCMA stickers for each area of develpment to link
    good idea . good joib i purchased some..many have to buy more.
    glad you like them. All my paperwork is based around these colours i think it makes it look interesting and hope it will make people want to read them rather than plain grey or black..sorry if anyone uses these colours. plus it makes all my ink colours run out at similar times lol

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are fab sheets!!!! Wish I was that good on a computer to do stuff like them. I use colours when doing my planning but only can do in in text
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Please feel free to use my ideas I've used loads of others. If you want me to pm them I'm happy to share...

Thank you for all your kind comments ....Kx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Sat/Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

What you are doing is using a child's natural enthusiasm for learning, sprinkling in a liberal dose of multiculturalism and diversity and presenting exciting learning opportunities for children of all ages, which are relevant to their development needs.[HTML][/HTML]

I love this wording
    xx

sorry not sure how to do the quote box
    Last edited by sparkibobs; 31-07-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added some test

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use themes/topics as a base for organsing a few weeks activities at a time. Its a bit slap dash really, I just look through the file (50x odd themes), deciding on which one to use by:-
    what we haven't covered for a while
    what fits in with the long term plan I have with birthdays and festivals
    if a child needs to grasp a concept eg colours
    Sometimes a theme only covers a week in the case of pirates or a full month if we are covering animals as there is so much to cover.

My planning sheets have lists of ideas on activities/things to do under each of the 6x areas of learning. I photocopy the master, then in the blank box at the bottom I can add in the details on any festivals/birthdays etc that can be included within the timeframe we will be covering that topic and also any individual planning for the children that is being covered on their individual planning sheets.

I've never heard that Ofsted aren't a fan of themes/topics and having only a few months ago competed one of the DHC units were we covered themes - It wasn't metioned then, I think I am not going to worry or change anything, yet!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    hi what you said about your obs is fine, they don't have to be linked.I only do obs as and when, usually one a month sometimes two. i generally only do photo obs and on the back just link them to the main areas of eyfs they cover. you will find you can link most obs to all 6 areas but just choose 2 or 3 of the main ones. what you need to do though are next steps which can be just a sentence of how you will back it up e.g. if you have been to the woods then you could say you will do some leaf painting or you will look at bugs you have found. i do the minimum paperwork and don't get bogged down with it and i got a good at my recent inspection, i mentioned to my DO officer that should i have have done more paperwork to get an outstanding and she said absolutly not as inspectors are not just looking at that and i only got a good as it was my first inspection and my inspector is known for not given outstandings to newbies. Not that i am complaining as i am more than happy with my good rating and will be happy if i get it next time too.
    JUst do your paperwork your way and as long as you have all the relevant policies, contracts,etc you will be fine.
    Hope that helps

Wow - I could have written this... it is exactly what happened to me, I did minimum paperwork, asked my DO as I started to panic, she reassured me that everything was OK and that my inspector never gives outstanding to newly registered anyway, and I also got a good!!

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? spooky !
    Sandy
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

i was told when i had my last inspection (march 2009) that i didn`t have to do themes. i had to do individual plans for each child based on thier interests and build from there, so now i have to do 6 plans a week insted of 1

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my inspection this week and our current theme is ourselves currently looking at healthy eating last week and this week, Mrs O did grill me on why I was doing the theme and I supported it by the fact that one of my lo's had grown lots of veg for the first time in his garden ove the summer and I wanted to extend his learning about healthy and less healthy food. Also doing sneezesafe nxt week which she ask why and I pointed out that as lo had just started preschool I wanted to reaffirm aspects of personal hygiene, hand washing and using tissues when you sneeze as with the threat of swine flu etc - she said that was a very good idea -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12