Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Planning Together

Quote Originally Posted by Louise2613 View Post
    I am struggling with my 20 month old and 12 month old
    With these ages it's more about going with the flow of the children.

Don't do any multicultural planning etc ... you'll be wasting your time.

You should be thinking about how to stimulate them eg sensory play, treasure baskets, outings, toddler groups etc.

Then follow their interests / what parents say they are doing at home / any schemas you might spot.

Relax... it's everything you do already... just write down what you've done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    With these ages it's more about going with the flow of the children.

Don't do any multicultural planning etc ... you'll be wasting your time.

You should be thinking about how to stimulate them eg sensory play, treasure baskets, outings, toddler groups etc.

Then follow their interests / what parents say they are doing at home / any schemas you might spot.

Relax... it's everything you do already... just write down what you've done
    So do I need to write down a short term plan or individual plans following their interests?

dec85
    Post Thanks / Like

Gr8t idea. Iam up for it too. Run a childminder drop-in so looking for ideas all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya i would be interested in planning ideas, my brain is abit dead at the mo, with all the other things that I'm trying to update, just incase I get a phone call from Ofsted.

Regards Tracey

Post Thanks / Like

So do I need to write down a short term plan or individual plans following their interests?
    Begin with the children's "starting points" (Ofsted are keen on these) - that is where the children are now in development terms. Use your observations of the child to decide this, then discuss with parents to see if they can add anything then briefly outline what you are going to do next to move the child on.

Review regularly through observations/discussions with parents.

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Begin with the children's "starting points" (Ofsted are keen on these) - that is where the children are now in development terms. Use your observations of the child to decide this, then discuss with parents to see if they can add anything then briefly outline what you are going to do next to move the child on.

Review regularly through observations/discussions with parents.

Miffy xx
    I have been observing D (20 mths) since July, his interests are balls and transport so we have completed planned activities on these, L (12mths) I have done observations on random things i see her doing and wow moments etc and used Sarah's age and stages to plan small activities for her age, am I doing this all wrong then?

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't think so - sorry if I've confused you.

You are observing the children and planning for their interests and you'll link to the EYFS learning and development areas.

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you are doing it absolutely right!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    No, I don't think so - sorry if I've confused you.

You are observing the children and planning for their interests and you'll link to the EYFS learning and development areas.

Miffy xx
    Yep I do this and use photo obs and next steps too then follow up obs from next steps!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are doing it absolutely right!
    Cool

I do individual planning for each childs folder, is that all I need then? Can I do a few little bits towards festivals etc? D likes to do crafts so was going to do winter crafty bits and chinese new year and reading books to go with a theme etc!!

jul 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    out standing
    Post Thanks / Like

yes please count me in i like to pic up on childrens interest in books and follow that lead to various activities
    outstanding x 2

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool

I do individual planning for each childs folder, is that all I need then? Can I do a few little bits towards festivals etc? D likes to do crafts so was going to do winter crafty bits and chinese new year and reading books to go with a theme etc!!
    Yes of course! You do as much or as little as you like.

I think that planning for celebrations and festivals can give you a focus on your week, whatever the age of the child.

We just always need to remember with under 3s it's more about following their interests etc

FEB 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :0)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy to chip in...... but haven't got the fogiest where to start! Not registered yet so not too much of a problem, but would like to do a yearly and monthly planner from easter onwards. Ready for when i might (WILL) have children!
    Donna -Thinks you are all fab! Even if I do say so myself!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Id like to join in too, are we going to submit our ideas on individual threads. I start back in the morning and easing myself gently into the new year. Planned in my head but not just in practice!! Sure it will fall into place tomorrow, one of my lo's birthdays he will be 4 so Im sure we'll have a fun day

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry debbie not ignoring your message but only just got home.
    i would love to take part in this so will email you wehn i get a chance

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes of course! You do as much or as little as you like.

I think that planning for celebrations and festivals can give you a focus on your week, whatever the age of the child.

We just always need to remember with under 3s it's more about following their interests etc
    i agree with sarah ( as i usually do as she's so much better at this then me) the little ones don't care if they are decorating a chinese lantern or a christmas card they just love the glueing and glitter so as long as their needs are met then all is well

Registe
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would love to join in with this idea although i'm not sure i would be much use to anyone (not that good at planning yet) but i'm willing to give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in too please Debbie

Miffy xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We now have 11 names of people interested, so I have a sub structure which I will send out.

Anyone else want to chip in, please pm me.

Thanks
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharing planning great i,m in.

Idea for Sarah32 you said you were planning to do 'emergency services'. Last year I asked the local Fire Station to do a check on my home, some areas won't do it for cms but of course it is your family home, anyway they booked a date, I teamed up with another cm so she could keep a eye on the children as well. What a great time the Fire Engine pulled into my front drive and while they inspected the house and fitted for free 10year smoke alarms (there was nothing wrong with the ones I had) they said I could have the state of the art ones for free!!! they took the children on the engine rang the bell got the hoses out FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! We got some great pics as well.

Have fun.

Back to planning etc.

I have 5mth, 15mth, 2.5yr and 3yr quite a mix. I keep a daily book where i record menus what we have done where we have been , I started this in Sept with EYFS. I have simple observations I then use it to plan the next step and colour code with stickers which areas have been covered. I've found is highlights areas I have missed or don't cover as easily in my day to day activities so I can then plan them in. Does that make sence?

A few of us got together in Sept to try and find as simple a plan as pos and the above seems to be working.
    A few of us then went on a planning and observation course (2hrs) we are now using a scrap book for each child(not my 5mth yet) putting in examples of work some with lumps!!! I photocopy or take a photo and put in and link to stages of del and the about twice a term we do a simple observation, you can also include some photo, brochures of places visited etc.

Last year I had got so many dig photos of the children I put them on a disc for the parents unedited! They all loved that because they could see a picture of a day, week etc. So I have continued to do that and its much quicker than editing a few and putting them in albums.

Sorry I have prattled on a bit better get back to work.

Have a good day ,my lot are standing at the window watching the snow (we're in SE Herts) its settling well I think we will be donning the wellies and rain coats in a minuite, now what area of learning will this cover??????!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast