Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: rolling over

Registered Childminder since
    june 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default rolling over

A little baby i looked after has just rolled over today , iv looked at the early years outcomes an it said rolls front to back and back to front . iv only seen her do one way so am i right in thinking i can't tick this outcome off ?? Confused x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claire85 View Post
    A little baby i looked after has just rolled over today , iv looked at the early years outcomes an it said rolls front to back and back to front . iv only seen her do one way so am i right in thinking i can't tick this outcome off ?? Confused x
    Keep encouraging this and observe until the baby does it all the time with little effort and you can record it as a stepping stone in development
    Look at Development Matters ...Unique Child...under PD Birth to 11 months (p22)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would write it up as an observation and warn the parents that now baby can roll not to put her anywhere that she could roll off eg: on a bed or on a changing mat on a chest of drawers (learnt that one by my own daughter rolling off many years ago)! You don't always have to be able to "tick" something off as sometimes the wording in the EYO or DM doesn't match what child has achieved.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I never tick things off, I'd note as an ob they rolled back to front and link to PD

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I never tick things off as it shouldn't be used like that, it's guidance to expected development.
    I would just write up as an ob and include a photo if possible and include next steps.

Simona Guest

I agree that we do not use either DM or EYO as a tick list...there are plenty more progress charts we can use
    EYO is for many a target driven guidance ...while DM has EE and PR which compliment learning in children and help practitioners with their practice

while all steps of progress do not need to be recorded some...in my view...are rather important and seen as milestones...I would consider 'rolling over' one of them...some babies do it soon others later but it is important

Babies with Down Syndrome, for instance, have no muscle strength to turn over on their own so need help and support until they master the task on their own

We all observe and record differently...my interpretation and understanding is that each next step takes the child closer to the Learning Goals...at different times and in different ways so the vast majority if not alll should be observed as part of the holistic way children learn and progress

My view of course