Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Observations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Observations

Childminding newbie here!

Apologies if this is a daft question!

How many observations of the same behaviour do I have to make before I can tick it off? Just the once? What if it was a fluke?

Many thanks!

toddlers896 Guest

Its not a silly question if you dont know the answer. Ime sure somebody from the forum will be able to help you. I dont know what you mean by ticking it off. I dont tick anything off. I just write for example billy took a few steps today before bumping on his bottom. I wouldnt then write anything about this again until he is walking confidently without falling down, and then when he can run etc. Hope this helps you a wee bit. sorry i dont know what you mean by ticking it off x

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean in a tracker book ? X

Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

Thanks! Yes, I guess in the tracker book. Although I don't have one!!

I come from a secondary teaching background where students can't move onto the next level until they achieve all the criteria in the one below.

In DM or the LOs booklet, there are age ranges and criteria for each. I know it's kind of a best fit approach. Say, for example Johnny does X. How many times does he have to do X for him to have achieved it?

Hope that's not too rambling!!

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way to explain it would be that you need to be able to explain to the parents and ofsted how you know the child has comfortably achieved it. I have always thought that when I stop being surprised that it is new lol xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lpy101 View Post
    Hi.

Thanks! Yes, I guess in the tracker book. Although I don't have one!!

I come from a secondary teaching background where students can't move onto the next level until they achieve all the criteria in the one below.

In DM or the LOs booklet, there are age ranges and criteria for each. I know it's kind of a best fit approach. Say, for example Johnny does X. How many times does he have to do X for him to have achieved it?

Hope that's not too rambling!!
    I think you know the answer already...if X does this and you observe it ...observe again and again then when you see it as embedded in progress then record it
    I have always been taught to observe at least 3 times until sure the goal or outcome is achieved...it has moved from emerging to expected or even exceeding
    Trackers are ok but your observations will track progress naturally and ...you know your children best as trackers can be prescriptive and devised by someone else!