How do I plan for under 2's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I plan for under 2's

I cannot seem to find any explanation for planning for really young children, it always includes children who can talk, and share there thoughts, and have interests. I have a little boy who is 15mths, he has no particular interest as yet and doesnt play with anything for very long. He mostly walks around with something in his hand. If I sit with him with a shape sorter then he will play, but still not for long and he's off. Should I be trying to plan for a child who's got a short attention span. I will be getting my first graded inspection soon, and feel so unprepared, and cant seem to find help. Im not even confident my obs and next steps are correct. please help!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine73 View Post
    I cannot seem to find any explanation for planning for really young children, it always includes children who can talk, and share there thoughts, and have interests. I have a little boy who is 15mths, he has no particular interest as yet and doesnt play with anything for very long. He mostly walks around with something in his hand. If I sit with him with a shape sorter then he will play, but still not for long and he's off. Should I be trying to plan for a child who's got a short attention span. I will be getting my first graded inspection soon, and feel so unprepared, and cant seem to find help. Im not even confident my obs and next steps are correct. please help!
    Look at Development Matters...plenty of ideas on activities.
    Yes at that age attention span is short but will extend with interesting activities and support...they do like to explore but you can plan around their 'interests'...is it cars...animals... buttons or anything you have noticed he goes back to all the time?

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

At that age, I plan to give them lots of opportunities as much as anything, I focus on making sure their day has stories, singing, messy play, outside time etc, and where possible incorporate the favourite toy into it, or at the very least make sure that toy is available each day.
    I had one who was well into a particular train, so we painted with the train, drove it over cornflakes as well as running it on the track. The child also liked the chalk board and mini trampoline, so they were left out. We worked on the child putting the track together rather than me doing it as a next step, and I remember we were working on hand washing too!

4. Likes Maxine73 liked this post